Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Saint Helena to get Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
OT - Saint Helena to get Airport

To be complete by 2015, runway proposed to be 7380ft and able to handle A320, B737 and B757 with routes planned to operate to Ascension Island and Cape Town.

Wonder which operator will eventually operate these flights ? something there for BA by way of Comair ex South Africa ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15578596
http://www.sainthelenaaccess.com/application/

cs
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
I visited St. Helena in 2002 and am going back in January. It's an interesting place with a wonderful history. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

On my last visit a tour guide pointed out where the airport would go...they've been waiting for an air link for many years.

Jamestown, St. Helena from the top of Jacob's Ladder
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow

Jamestown, St. Helena from the top of Jacob's Ladder
I hope the airport isn't going to be placed at the top of those steps.....imagine carrying the luggage.

Must be a fascinating place to visit.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I hope the airport isn't going to be placed at the top of those steps.....imagine carrying the luggage.

Must be a fascinating place to visit.
It is...surprisingly so. I'm looking forward to going back, even though it's only for a few hours.

This is a better view of Jamestown.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Mucci Diamond Hairbursh & Mucci des Sacs Exotiques
It doesn't seem to have changed at all since I was there in 1983. Beautiful place lost in a time-warp, and charming people with a sing-song accent.

I imagine an airport will transform the place - maybe not for the better
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BAg Lady
It doesn't seem to have changed at all since I was there in 1983. Beautiful place lost in a time-warp, and charming people with a sing-song accent.

I imagine an airport will transform the place - maybe not for the better
You could be right but I for one would love to visit, along with the Falklands but until a sustainable and inexpensive way comes along I won't be going !!

And yes I do realise that LAN flies into the Falklands but it looks like an expensive pita

cs
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon

And yes I do realise that LAN flies into the Falklands but it looks like an expensive pita

cs
Not from here it isn't.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

cs
Not from here it isn't.
Try saying the same with a starting point of NQY and no RAF tristars to take me
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
They must be cursing at Donington Hall... A missed route opportunity for BD
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:46 pm

Try saying the same with a starting point of NQY and no RAF tristars to take me
It's a long way from the UK and also very expensive if paying cash. Not all that easy to get there from here either. I once worked out a LAN redemption and IIRC the routing involved three stops over 40 hours.

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
They must be cursing at Donington Hall... A missed route opportunity for BD
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
It's a long way from the UK and also very expensive if paying cash.
I flew one of those BZZ-ASI-MPN flights before... very expensive is right!

Saint Helena has been somewhere I've wanted to go for years... I don't actually read the BA forum but my eyes were drawn to the title and that's the only way I found out about this. I think maybe I should like to go before 2015 now as it will likely feel much less "untouched" with the addition of air services to the island.

Or maybe sometime in 2015 FTers will have a Saint Helena DO.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:23 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Wonder which operator will eventually operate these flights ? something there for BA by way of Comair ex South Africa ?
I seriously doubt that BA will show any interest. Given they pulled out of operating to Scottish islands that have 10 times the population of Saint Helena I doubt that it will be commercially viable. Of course there may be some codeshare opportunities, but I would have thought that even for Comair the route would be challenging to make commercially viable.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
I seriously doubt that BA will show any interest. Given they pulled out of operating to Scottish islands that have 10 times the population of Saint Helena I doubt that it will be commercially viable. Of course there may be some codeshare opportunities, but I would have thought that even for Comair the route would be challenging to make commercially viable.
I think that cargo would offer decent revenue tbh

Currently the only supplies arriving are via the royal mail ship

cs
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
I gather that the initial plan is for a weekly subsidised flight as it would not be commercially viable otherwise
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Good to know that the U.K. Government hasn't completely ruled out airport expansion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.