Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Saint Helena to get Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by vanmunchen
Good to know that the U.K. Government hasn't completely ruled out airport expansion.
The word is that there is to be a rail tunnel between Heathrow and St Helena to create a new Heathelena....
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I think that cargo would offer decent revenue tbh

Currently the only supplies arriving are via the royal mail ship

cs
And here's the royal mail ship in Jamestown harbour:

She used to run from the UK to St. Helena to S. Africa but as of last month the UK leg has been dropped and will only sail between St. Helena, Ascension and S. Africa. The RMS St. Helena also carries passengers in a very comfortable style, or so I'm told.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: BA
I may be going next summer

Well well. I may be off to St Helena next summer for a work trip. The change in the sailing timetable now means that Cape Town rather than the Ascencion Islands is a better bet for me.

Rather naively, I had wondered if I would be the first on the BA board to visit one of the most isolated parts of the world but clearly not!

If I get to go, there will be a very comprehensive trip report. After all, I'll have around 10 days at sea.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Having had a browse on Google Earth, I'm wondering where this runway will be built ... there appears to be some flattish land north of Longwood, south-east of Jamstown. Does anyone have a clue?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Having had a browse on Google Earth, I'm wondering where this runway will be built ... there appears to be some flattish land north of Longwood, south-east of Jamstown. Does anyone have a clue?
St. Helena Airport General Scheme

Appears to be on the coast, ESE of Longwood.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall

If I get to go, there will be a very comprehensive trip report. After all, I'll have around 10 days at sea.
My first trip was, of course by sea, CPT-St. Helena-DKR-TCI-LPA. The next one is RIO-St. Helena-WVB-CPT.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow
St. Helena Airport General Scheme

Appears to be on the coast, ESE of Longwood.
I'm wondering now about Tristan da Cunha... From the group of 3: Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, the last will be the only one without an airstrip. And the single most remote island...
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by 31dany
I'm wondering now about Tristan da Cunha... From the group of 3: Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, the last will be the only one without an airstrip. And the single most remote island...
That will be quite some logical challenge. No safe harbor, little infrastructure, 208 inhabitants, 2800 km from South Africa and 3200 km from Brazil.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am insanely jealous of those that have been or are going. What a fascinating otherworldly destination and a remarkable way to get there.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I am insanely jealous of those that have been or are going. What a fascinating otherworldly destination and a remarkable way to get there.
Totally agree hunter of swans

Worthy of a trip report in fact

cs
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
That will be quite some logical challenge. No safe harbor, little infrastructure, 208 inhabitants, 2800 km from South Africa and 3200 km from Brazil.
Almost as remote and almost as unpopulated as Pitcairn, where I was lucky enough to stop a few years ago.

The best thing about islands like those is that they don't have an airport. Fortunately, Pitcairn is just too small.

Would love to visit Saint Helena someday!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll make a firm bid now ... if anyone's going there, would you take a Bear for a photo-opportunity? I'm not fund-raising, just trying to get Bears into interesting places.

I'm waiting for a trip report from Mt Everest Base Camp, but Jaco van Gass is doing the NY Marathon just now, and he has the photos.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
One or two of the smaller Antarctica expedition trips used to pass by Tristan de Cunha (and I think stop at St Helena), on their annual re-positioning voyages North.
Have a feeling I have literally missed the boat on that opportunity and will regret not having done it. The RMS StHelena trip from Walvis Bay just felt so uninspiring when I looked at that (relatively short) routing.

Falklands is also accessible by tourist ship out of ushuaia.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlefish
Falklands is also accessible by tourist ship out of ushuaia.
It used to be accessible by C-130 via Ascension.
I really don't want to re-live that experience, especially when my trip home from FI came in to Stanley on 3 engines
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It's part of the reason I so excited to possibly be going. I definitely want to go before the airport is built.

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Totally agree hunter of swans

Worthy of a trip report in fact

cs
I can promise an ridiculously detailed report, if I go.

Originally Posted by T8191
I'll make a firm bid now ... if anyone's going there, would you take a Bear for a photo-opportunity? I'm not fund-raising, just trying to get Bears into interesting places.
T8191, if I do go, then I would be happy to take your bear with me. I suspect I won't know until late Dec / early January and if I do go it won't be until August 2012.

I could go a little earlier in the summer, but there's the small matter of the tickets I have to the Mens Olympic 100m final...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.