FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Wearing a First sleeper suit landside (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1275570-wearing-first-sleeper-suit-landside.html)

lorkers Nov 2, 2011 1:43 pm

Wearing a First sleeper suit landside

A serious question for the road warriors on the board... how do you manage to look even vaguely presentable after several days on the road, and more importantly also not loose the plot?

I used to be able to do it without problems. Enough shirts in hand luggage for a week, press suit, shower before departure and another on arrival if time.

Now... it is just getting beyond me. I found myself without any fresh clothes, not enough time/desire to buy another shirt (and hence dump the set of old smelly ones I had in my bag, and have a shower)... so ended up wearing the top of the sleeper suit from the flight the previous day's flight, and the socks from the BAg no less... and going back into the Concorde room.

It didn't raise an eyebrow among the staff who I'm sure have seen far worse, but seriously, is there a trick to it, or am I just (a crime I think on this board) getting too old for frequent flying? :(

BA304 Nov 2, 2011 1:51 pm

Who cares? :D

There have been mutterings that F pyjamas and fur coat are acceptable but I'm sensing that's not an option for you. ;)

BAGoldBoy Nov 2, 2011 3:08 pm

I found myself in the same position a few years ago and admitted defeat. Now I only do a handful of longhaul business flights a year - shorthaul I can still manage even at my advanced age ;)

golfmad Nov 2, 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy (Post 17379964)
I found myself in the same position a few years ago and admitted defeat. Now I only do a handful of longhaul business flights a year - shorthaul I can still manage even at my advanced age ;)

Some years ago I found myself on a Virgin Atlantic Upper Class flight from Washington to London. Due to the short flight time they recommended that passengers change into their brighter coloured (unlike BA) sleep suits and then board directly using the door only accessible via the club lounge in Washington. So, I got changed. I think I was the only one.

Then, nightmare...

The door from the club lounge became unserviceable so we were asked to board via the main door but they called us just as everyone started boarding. So, to my great embarrassment, I had to head to the back of the line wearing my sleep suit and slippers. I remember some very odd looks amongst the other passengers.

Flight was good though but made a note-to-self not to do it again.

halfcape Nov 2, 2011 3:25 pm

That was hysterical. Mr. halfcape and I enjoyed that story!

golfmad Nov 2, 2011 3:35 pm

That was hysterical. Mr. halfcape and I enjoyed that story!
Glad to be of service. Out of interest, do two half capes make a whole cape?

BotB Nov 2, 2011 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 17380128)
Glad to be of service. Out of interest, do two half capes make a whole cape?

No, they make a set of F PJ's @:-) do they not! :D

OT: I look like hell no matter what I do after a long haul...so I just try to be comfortable and then worry about looks once I get home or to a hotel after a shower or a lay down...

That is the best thing about ageing...you CAN get away with it :)

matthandy Nov 2, 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 17380016)
So, to my great embarrassment, I had to head to the back of the line wearing my sleep suit and slippers. I remember some very odd looks amongst the other passengers.

Haha, great story!

The top from the F pyjamas is quite plain, so you could certainly get away with it, as long as you could cover up the First logo, maybe with a blazer or something.

I've seen stranger things. Here in Australia it seems to be perfectly normal for some people to walk around with no shoes on. This includes walking into public toilets, walking around a shopping centre, using the train, you name it. Very weird.

abitlost Nov 2, 2011 4:41 pm

Swiss F Pajamas can look fine under a nice v-neck sweater, but, in general, I recommend wearing real clothes. I confess I wore such an outfit (accompanied by jeans, socks, and shoes in case anyone was getting sicko ideas) to run down from my apartment to buy cigarettes and club soda the other morning.

The onemileatatime blog had a rather amusing tale of the faux pas of wearing airline pajamas into a lounge.

Sean Bhalach Nov 2, 2011 5:05 pm

Forgetting to pack sufficient clothes is an easily surmountable obstacle, however if it is genuine forgetfulness, worry more about passport and credit cards. :)

TeamStorm Nov 2, 2011 5:28 pm

I have always found that putting PJ's on BEFORE take-off is the most sure-fire way to ensure that your plane will go tech !

As someone who does waaaaay too much longhaul travel..... (see a few weeks in the life of thead).... my secret is

1) Travel in whatever is comfy - aim for overnight flights
2) If you want to feel fresher after waking up, take lightweight set of clothes in hand luggage and some body spray/deoderant - it's amazing what just putting on fresh clothes and underwear does for your self esteem.
3) Ensure you are staying in a hotel with early checkin and 1hr pressing service (most 5* hotels offer this.. and for good reason !)
4) Go straight to hotel off flight.... press suits whilst in shower....
5) Arrive at meeting looking like you're fresh and awake

You can almost achieve this if you get off a flight at LHR that allows you access to the arrivals lounge, they'll do a pressing service there, or you'll find most airport hotels offer it if there's half decent (Sofitel does if you take a day room).

Ultimatley it involves investment (£££) however as someone who's always recieved positive praise for how professionally turned out I look when people know I've as good as stepped off a 12hr flight... it's clear that that investment is paying dividends.

Up to you of course - that's just my take on it.

Ed

BadgerBoi Nov 2, 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy (Post 17380448)
Haha, great story!

The top from the F pyjamas is quite plain, so you could certainly get away with it, as long as you could cover up the First logo, maybe with a blazer or something.

I've seen stranger things. Here in Australia it seems to be perfectly normal for some people to walk around with no shoes on. This includes walking into public toilets, walking around a shopping centre, using the train, you name it. Very weird.

I've lived in Sydney for more years than I can count and I can't say that I've ever noticed that.

matthandy Nov 2, 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 17380921)
I've lived in Sydney for more years than I can count and I can't say that I've ever noticed that.

Ha! You must be joking!

Take a trip out to Bondi Junction on a sunny Saturday afternoon and you'll see if for sure. I've seen people at Town Hall and Wynyard, Macquarie Shopping Centre and at World Square. It's very common.

BadgerBoi Nov 2, 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy (Post 17380971)
Ha! You must be joking!

Take a trip out to Bondi Junction on a sunny Saturday afternoon and you'll see if for sure. I've seen people at Town Hall and Wynyard, Macquarie Shopping Centre and at World Square. It's very common.

I work at Bondi Junction. The only ones I see dressing inappropriately are the backpackers (you can tell who they are by their age and their accents).

matthandy Nov 2, 2011 6:39 pm

Maybe you aren't looking hard enough. It's mostly the surfer types (vest top and shorts).

It definitely happens:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/aus...bare-feet.html

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question...9210945AABtXeA

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...9010830AAQV95l

http://ausmerican.wordpress.com/2010...nt-like-shoes/

This one is particularly informative:

http://www.mumsgone2aus.com/2011/01/...-in-australia/