Wiki Posts
Search

paid seating (BA metal, AA ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
paid seating (BA metal, AA ticket)

Is it possible to buy paid seating on a BA-operated flight, for a ticket purchased via AA? How about proactive upgrades?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by bklink
Is it possible to buy paid seating on a BA-operated flight, for a ticket purchased via AA? How about proactive upgrades?
From aa.com:
Pre-reserved Seats:

Available from 331 days prior to departure.

Pre-reserved seats are available for the following:

All First Class passengers - All destinations
All Business Class passengers - All destinations

Coach Class Passengers
- All Transatlantic/Intercontinental destinations
- All UK Domestic destinations (except BA Connect flights) for Coach Class passengers who are oneworld top tier ( Emerald or Sapphire) or are full-fare Coach travelers

Pre-reserved seats are not available for the following:

Coach Class Passengers
- Intra-European flights
- Intra-U.K. flights operated by BA Connect
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...re_Partner.jsp
Since you booked with AA I believe you can only upgrade with AA miles.
Q. Can I use miles to upgrade any reservation through my travel agency or corporate travel desk?
A. At this time, you may use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade British Airways and Iberia flights as well as American Airlines codeshare flights operated by British Airways and Iberia which have been booked directly with American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com).

However, British Airways and Iberia flights booked through other sources are not currently eligible for an upgrade using miles because of technical issues regarding systems compatibility. We hope that the inconvenience is more than offset by the opportunity to use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on British Airways and Iberia flights. We are working to expand upgrade opportunities to include to reservations booked through travel agencies and corporate travel desks. As always, you may use miles to upgrade American Airlines marketed and operated flights when booked through a travel agency or corporate travel desk.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/j...s.jsp#upgrades
See also:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...sl=upgradeaaib
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
resurfacing...

Looking to book IAH-DFW-LHR-TLV-IAH-LHR in Premium economy. It's a mixed AA & BA.
AA premium seats are complimentary. How about the BA seats on this reservation? AA booking class is P.

Thanks,
R
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by rebech34
resurfacing...

Looking to book IAH-DFW-LHR-TLV-IAH-LHR in Premium economy. It's a mixed AA & BA.
AA premium seats are complimentary. How about the BA seats on this reservation? AA booking class is P.

Thanks,
R
Seats on BA metal would not be complimentary
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Seats on BA metal would not be complimentary
As per the advice given in the OP's previously started thread of 14JUN
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Thanks, but I thought this would be different.
I avoided going through a third party vendor such as Kayak and did it through AA.COM. I was hoping that this will be different, booking through AA.COM.

R
Old Jun 17, 2022, 4:25 pm

Thanks, but I thought this would be different.
I avoided going through a third party vendor such as Kayak and did it through AA.COM. I was hoping that this will be different, booking through AA.COM.

R
Unfortunately not. In this situation operating carrier is what counts. You would reduce the seat fees by flying AA metal wherever possible. Be that IAH-DFW-LHR-TLV (last leg operated by BA) or fly IAH-DFW-JFK-TLV all on AA
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Unfortunately not. In this situation operating carrier is what counts. You would reduce the seat fees by flying AA metal wherever possible. Be that IAH-DFW-LHR-TLV (last leg operated by BA) or fly IAH-DFW-JFK-TLV all on AA
the big question then is , is the routing with the fare that includes free seat assignments more expensive or less expensive than paying for the ticket and the seat assignment on the route that involves BA. And, how important is the seat assignment?
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
the big question then is , is the routing with the fare that includes free seat assignments more expensive or less expensive than paying for the ticket and the seat assignment on the route that involves BA. And, how important is the seat assignment?
Good point.
AA.com gives free seat assignment on their Metal flights. it's almost meaningless if there were no middle seats involved...
BA on my attempts to book directly with them, charges for seat assignments - $60-$80 per leg.

The overall "Deal" with BA is more expensive than AA. Needless to say AA hard product is much nicer.
R
Old Jun 19, 2022, 5:18 pm

Good point.
AA.com gives free seat assignment on their Metal flights. it's almost meaningless if there were no middle seats involved...
BA on my attempts to book directly with them, charges for seat assignments - $60-$80 per leg.

The overall "Deal" with BA is more expensive than AA. Needless to say AA hard product is much nicer.
R
so book AA then. It does not look as though the deal you were getting was so good after all
rebech34 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.