Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Rookie question on BA MFU's on tickets from other carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond

I'm going on a working trip in Toronto at the end of November and I have an option to book flexible econ. flights from Finnair, including a Ba flight from YYZ-LHR. The flight class, according to AY system, is T, hence MFU should be possible. The terms and conditions are bit odd, so just to ensure, I can try to MFU the BA flight if I book the flights from Finnair's website, but if my companys travel agent makes the booking, MFU is not possible?

And thenagain, while going to Toronto, I'll fly JFK-YYZ with AA, on this flight I reckon I can again try to MFU, but only if I make the booking by myself from Finnair's website, but not using the travel agent.

Annoying, but what can you do, or is the travel agent clause only really working in cases where the flights are booked as a package in holiday trip etc. Or can you even upgrade flights that are on BA, but are part of a booking made with another (OW) airline. Finnair has this rule that both the booking and flight must be on AY, but BA doesn't seem to have one, so just to make it certain...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As far as I know a BA ticket bought on Finnair is treated just like a travel agent ticket....so no MFU allowed.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
... is the travel agent clause only really working in cases where the flights are booked as a package in holiday trip etc.
It's not a "travel agent clause". You must book with BA (on the assumption that the limited US exception doesn't apply to you). The MFU rules say:-
1. Miles for Upgrade bookings can only be made online at ba.com or direct with British Airways. ...
So it sounds like it's the same rule as AY has.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Well, actually what troubles me is whether there is a difference between actual MFU-booking and then upgrading an earlier booking.
"
1.Miles for Upgrade bookings can only be made online at ba.com or direct with British Airways. An existing booking can be upgraded up until check in online at ba.com or by contacting your local service centre or sales office"

Hence, should the "existing booking" also be made from ba.com, or is any booking okay. Surely I can call Customer service, but I'll assume someone here knows the answer.
But if a booking via another airline is seen as a travel agent booking, then there is little ground for making this work.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The MFU rule is ba.com or direct with BA, regardless of at time of booking or subsequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.