Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Membership changes - Your feedback and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Membership changes - Your feedback and questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:58 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Thanks for all your answers thus far. On one point, however, I'm not 100% that a request a few of us have made is coming across correctly:

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
no plans to align the membership years within an HHA as the individual accounts need to retain their individual membership years for progressing through the tiers and in the event they leave the HHA again.
[...]
24. Also support the idea of allowing people to make a one-off adjustment for their membership year, any chance of this happening?
Unfortunately not – we get many requests like this but it isn’t fair to the majority of members who earn in the membership year as stated
What at least some of us are asking is not "please tweak my membership year so that I can get or keep status" but, rather, "please allow me an early reset to zero, once, so that my significant other and I have the same year".

I don't see any unfairness to other members and any interruption to a member's "progressing through the tiers" would have been explicitly requested by him or her.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:01 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks again Nicci.

I am sure the point will come when you can safely say "I refer the honourable (BAEC) member to the answer I gave earlier'!

Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Thanks for wading in, Nicci.

To be clear, does this apply to all longhaul routes not just routes "which originate or terminate in the UK" (as the page says right now). So after 16th November would SFO-HKG on CX in J earn 160 (not 120) one-way, for example, since it's over 6000 miles? And similarly, say, JFK-EZE on AA in J earns 140 (not 120) as it's >2000 but <6000?
Dear Nicci ---- can you very kindly review the current language in the FAQ

Will the number of Tier Points earned change on all routes from November?

noting that the current answer specifies longhaul routes "which originate or terminate in the UK". It would be very helpful if you would kindly definitively reconfirm that flights that originate or terminate in the UK are a subset of longhaul routes that qualify for increased tier points --- reconfirming that partner flights that neither originate or terminate in the UK will qualify for the increased tier points. [If so, it might be helpful to request that the answer to the FAQ be changed.] Many thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
EC TPs?

What will Open Skies flights earn as of 11/16? I believe they are currently earning 180 TPs in Biz Bed, 120 in Biz Seats-- will they go to 210/140, 140/90, or something else?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Thanks Irishguy and others. All is now clear.

My membership year starts in October.

Even without the soft landing offered to euro members I am happy with the new rules which seem fair for all - especially now that tier points don't reset and there are higher tier point awards for longhaul biz flights - which is where I get most of my points from work travel. the bronze and silver levels which are both achievable make it worth flying BA for leisure
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:50 pm

Hi,

Swanhunter has previously asked to not use this thread for whinging and opinionating. Still, some posters do this and posts have to be deleted. We will not tolerate it in this thread. Nicci is here for your benefit. Respect that.

Use the other threads for bad will if you have to.

Thanks for understanding.
Petrus.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
Hi,

Swanhunter has previously asked to not use this thread for whinging and opinionating. Still, some posters do this and posts have to be deleted. We will not tolerate it in this thread. Nicci is here for your benefit. Respect that.

Use the other threads for bad will if you have to.

Thanks for understanding.
Petrus.
Thanks moderators for keeping this forum so well organized in such a "crisis" caused by progressive news release.
As you know, we Euro-reals feel badly hurt relative to UK-reals by the increase in award levels and drastic increase in thresholds (a year or two pass by too quickly unfortunately). But that is BA choice. I wished that Euro-politicians had such moderators during the euro crisis as well as Nicci to brilliantly clarify what they say. This thread is very informative.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by speccy
Almost echoing layz with regards to membership year query, but without the concern of 'losing TP's' - the ability to synchronise the membership years of household account members would be advantageous.

With the flying pattern of my wife and I who currently have membership renewal dates 6months apart is going to result in differing levels of status at differing times despite almost exclusively flying together for leisure. Could this be implemented as a one off change?

Otherwise wholly supportive of the introduction of the Bronze tier as a flier from the regions.
Agree with you. I have gold and 3 silver cards on this house including two kids aged 7 and 8. Cannot understand why BA refuse to allow a one off alignment. There should also be means of transferring tier points among family members. For several years now have had 3000 tier points plus and yet still cannot get access to First lounge as a family.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: BAEC blue, CX Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Le Club Accor Plat
1)

24. Also support the idea of allowing people to make a one-off adjustment for their membership year, any chance of this happening?
Unfortunately not – we get many requests like this but it isn’t fair to the majority of members who earn in the membership year as stated
and originally by me "With the flying pattern of my wife and I who currently have membership renewal dates 6months apart is going to result in differing levels of status at differing times despite almost exclusively flying together for leisure. Could this be implemented as a one off change? "

Nicci,

Apologies I wasn't as clear as I thought I was being in the original post - I wasn't suggesting an extension to a membership year beyond the 12month period but the option to synchronise them with one being shortened. For example account A Feb 2012, Account B July 2012 both become Feb 2012.

I can't see this penalising anyone except ourselves for the year in which it is shortened but gives us greater harmony for the way ahead. Up until now we would have aimed to gain a level and have the reset (and future resets / demotions) on the same date but this is now impossible.

Edit: Just noted IMH's post at the top - this was exactly what I was aiming at. Although I'm not concerned about transferring TP's like binman.

Last edited by speccy; Oct 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm Reason: Crossposting / Clarification.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Can Nicci or someone else confirm the following?

I am currently not an EC member. If I sign up with a European address, then fly FCO-MAD-EZE-MAD-FCO in business in December/January, would I then become Silver and then have two more 400TP renewals?

Further, if I sign up for EC the day before my first segment (in 12/11) would I then, under the new rules, be in effect Silver until 12/13 regardless of later activity? (and Bronze for another year).

(MAD-EZE is over 6000 miles. As Nicci confirmed that the new TP table also works for partners, I am calculating 40+160+160+40 TPs for this itinerary).

If all of this is correct, I have to say it is a great opportunity!

Many thanks to Nicci for her engagement with FT, it is one of the reasons why I'm contemplating switching alliances ^
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
Can Nicci or someone else confirm the following?

I am currently not an EC member. If I sign up with a European address, then fly FCO-MAD-EZE-MAD-FCO in business in December/January, would I then become Silver and then have two more 400TP renewals?

Further, if I sign up for EC the day before my first segment (in 12/11) would I then, under the new rules, be in effect Silver until 12/13 regardless of later activity? (and Bronze for another year).

(MAD-EZE is over 6000 miles. As Nicci confirmed that the new TP table also works for partners, I am calculating 40+160+160+40 TPs for this itinerary).

If all of this is correct, I have to say it is a great opportunity!

Many thanks to Nicci for her engagement with FT, it is one of the reasons why I'm contemplating switching alliances ^
Forgot about the 4 BA flights requirement . If flights are on BA then this should work, right? (say, FCO-LHR-EZE-LHR-FCO)
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA gold
On the whole, the changes appear to be positive for me ^ (UK based, with a monthly return on the LHR-BNE/SYD route).

As I'm blue, I will be bronze before my membership year is reset, which is useful as the old rules would have seen my tier points reset before I had a chance to reach silver.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:04 am

1)2) a) Is the "over 6000 mile" destinations list complete, and accurate?
The list is accurate for the BA network

LGW-MRU is 6074 according to the calculator on BA.COM, but is not on the list...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:11 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:48 am
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by IMH
Thanks for all your answers thus far. On one point, however, I'm not 100% that a request a few of us have made is coming across correctly:

What at least some of us are asking is not "please tweak my membership year so that I can get or keep status" but, rather, "please allow me an early reset to zero, once, so that my significant other and I have the same year".

I don't see any unfairness to other members and any interruption to a member's "progressing through the tiers" would have been explicitly requested by him or her.
I agree with this. In the olden days we could have planned to sync our year ends. For example Mrs srbrenna used to have a year end of 8 December and we tried to sync them but a quirk of promotion foiled us.

In short, this was achievable under the old rules with a bit of planning but will no longer be possible under the new.

Oh BTW Mrs srbrenna and I are not planning on dissolving our HHA any time soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.