Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Membership changes - Your feedback and questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Membership changes - Your feedback and questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
No questions for Nicci, but thanks for being here ... you have a couple of LONG days ahead! ^
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by shogan1977
Apologies if this has been answered already, but if one already has 320 tier points, (1) would they automatically become bronze on 16 Nov; and (2) keep those tier points earned before 16 Nov and keep earning towards the higher tiers? (i.e. 320+320=640 = Silver? correct?)
Yes and yes.

But as you're in Brussels, if your BAEC account is based there too, you will get to Silver when you hit 400TP, as long as this happens before 1 March 2012. (Additionally, you could renew Silver for just 400TP for an additional 2 years after the threshold increase to 600TP comes into effect on 1 March 2012, by being Silver at the time of the change)
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Originally Posted by David-A
That has been answered in the infomration relased.
If you are Europe Gold or Europe Silver on 1st March 2012, for the next two year ends you encounter after that you can 'renew' at current levels.

However, it seems that if you are a Gold (one off fluke,etc) but you drop to your normal silver after 1st March, you don't get this benefit! [I.e. you then need the new higher tier levels.]

Also, people who have already booked flights to qualify under the existing levels are the ones being screwed by moving the goal posts. Just due to some needless holes in the rules devised.
Thanks David-A. But goes the statement mean you have to exceed 400/800 by 1/3/12 regardless of end year date or simply 'be' gold/silver on 1/3/12 to have this benefit?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by VolcanoMan
Thanks David-A. But goes the statement mean you have to exceed 400/800 by 1/3/12 regardless of end year date or simply 'be' gold/silver on 1/3/12 to have this benefit?
I believe everyone is in consensus that the meaning is simply:
You are assessed for retention/demotion at the end of your own membership year.
If you were gold or silver on 1/Mar/12 then, when your year ends, you can qulify to renew at the current level. [And if you do, you can do the same again the year after.]

Therefore, to answer your specific question, based again upon the interpretation which I think we have consensus, you only need to have the 400 or 800 TP (as appropriate) in your account at your own personal year end after 1/Mar/12. You do NOT need to have them on 1/Mar/12.

However, there are so many holes in the thinking/rules that have been devised (which are over generous to some, and less generous to people who have flown more) that I guess it can't hurt to have it confirmed.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes and yes.

But as you're in Brussels, if your BAEC account is based there too, you will get to Silver when you hit 400TP, as long as this happens before 1 March 2012. (Additionally, you could renew Silver for just 400TP for an additional 2 years after the threshold increase to 600TP comes into effect on 1 March 2012, by being Silver at the time of the change)
Irishguy, does that mean that not only would my tier points not reset but that as soon as I hit 800 (before 1 March 2012) I would achieve gold? To be clear, currently 320, flying BRU-IAD-BRU (via LHR) end Nov (still equals 320?) = 620 + another 180+ points before 1 March and I would be gold?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: MUCCI
Irishguy, does that mean that not only would my tier points not reset but that as soon as I hit 800 (before 1 March 2012) I would achieve gold? To be clear, currently 320, flying BRU-IAD-BRU (via LHR) end Nov (still equals 320?) = 620 + another 180+ points before 1 March and I would be gold?
Yes. I agree with your workings.

Assuming:
- you have no scheduled year end before you have got the 800,
- you do no pass the 400 point until after the 16th November.[So you don't reset.]
[I've not checked that BRU-IAD has not changed, but as it doesn't matter post 16th Nov, so long as you are at 800 before 1st March.]
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer your specific question, based upon the interpretation which I think we have consensus on, you only need to have the 400 or 800 TP at your own personal year end after 1/Mar/12. You do NOT need to have them on 1/Mar/12.
I agree - your TP balance at 1 March 2012 is irrelevant. If you are silver on that date, regardless of how many TPs you have on that day or when your membership year ends, you will be able to renew Silver at the end of the current membership cycle, and the following one, at 400TP (instead of the 600TP it otherwise becomes on that date). If you're not silver on 1 March 2012, or as soon as you lose silver status after 1 March 2012, your Tier Point threshold for silver instantly jumps from 400TP to 600TP (and Gold jumps from 800TP to 1500TP).

If you are Gold on 1 March 2012, regardless of how many TPs you have on that day or when your membership year ends, you will be able to renew Gold at the end of the current membership cycle, and the following one, at 800TP (instead of the 1500TP it otherwise becomes on that date). If you are not Gold on 1 March 2012, or as soon as you lose Gold status after 1 March 2012, you get a soft landing to Silver and your Tier Point threshold for retaining silver jumps from 400TP to 600TP, and the threshold for attaining Gold instantly jumps from 800TP to 1500TP.

However, there are so many holes in the thinking/rules that have been devised (which are over generous to some, and less generous to people who have flown more) that I guess it can't hurt to have it confirmed.
Agreed, there are some corner cases which affect those who are likely to see a status rise occurring around the time of the November 16 changes, which are counterintuitive. It would be advisable for anyone who may be within reach of silver between now and November 16 to see if they would not in fact be better off delaying some travel (or not logging the flights to their account) as they could potentially be within striking of distance of "low Gold" by delaying the jump up to silver until after TPs no longer clear, if they are then likely to be able to get an additional 400TP before 1 March (and their membership year doesn't come along and reset the TP balance before 1 March).

The fairest thing would have been to allow everyone registered in the EU to serve out their current membership year with the old thresholds, which doesn't seem a big ask given that they are allowing those on Silver or Gold on 1 March 2012 to retain these levels for a further 2 years.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. If you can get to 400TP after November 16, you won't see those 400TP disappear when you become Silver. Instead of starting from 0 with a target of 800TP to reach Gold, you are starting for the 800TP Gold Target from the half-way mark of 400TP!!!

That Gold Target of 800TP will rise to 1500TP on 1 March 2012, though, so you have only 3-and-a-bit months to get to 800 before they shift the goalpost up to 1500TP. If you can collect a further 400TP between reaching your post-16-November silver elevation, and the changing-goalpost-date of 1 March 2012, you will reach Gold.

Additionally, by being Gold before 1 March 2012, you will qualify for the concession of being allowed two further Gold Requalification attempts at the old 800TP level (rather than 1500TP). If you don't make Gold by then, you will be silver anyway on 1 March 2012, and will qualify for the concession of being allowed two further Silver Requalification attempts at the old 400TP level (rather than 600TP - but to move up to Gold from silver will still require the new 1500TP in a single membership year).

Note that, if you "miss" the first of the requalification attempts at the exceptionally-extended lower levels, the spell is effectively broken, and you instantly and permanently become subject to all of the higher thresholds and don't have the option of getting back to that status at the old, lower level the next time round.

The one thing to note is when your membership year ends. If it comes before 1 March 2012, then you would need to reach Gold before that date - as that date is now the only thing that resets your TP balance.

So you have a brief window between 16 November and either 1 March 2012 or your renewal date - whichever comes first - to take advantage of an exceptional opportunity to achieve a shortcut/step-up to Gold.

Good luck, hope this explains things clearly for you.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:03 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nicci

I echo the comments from layz. I would also like the one-time opportunity to reset my membership year so I am not affected by the changes.

Thank you
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:10 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Hi Nicci

I would like to echo squeeler's question above in post 43, and would like to ask if this harmonisation of levels will also apply to GUF2 thresholds, and the silver partner card as well?

Presumably Concorde Room card will still be available at the eye-watering TP level of 5,000 as well?

Best wishes, and many thanks.

Last edited by vla; Oct 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm Reason: Thanks for answering. I'm calling Tesco's and American Express ;).
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
No questions from me Nicci but just wanted to say thanks for the info and help. And hang on, I suspect it's going to be a bumpy ride!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Apologies if this has been answered already, but if one already has 320 tier points, (1) would they automatically become bronze on 16 Nov; and (2) keep those tier points earned before 16 Nov and keep earning towards the higher tiers? (i.e. 320+320=640 = Silver? correct?)
it depends when your membership year ends. If it ends prior to 16th November then you don't make Bronze and get set back to Zero. If it happens after 16th Nov but before you make Silver then you go back to Zero but you're Bronze of course. You acrue points within the membership year but they still reset at the anniversary - just not when you pass a membership level such as Bronze.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
1. How much will we earn?

and

2. Does that include bookings made before but flown after November 16th?

My re-qualification plan includes 2 domestic flights with Iberia, if I'd
earn less than 2x10TPs the plan would go belly-up.
I would like to echo this again Nicci as I think we are talking about the same thing but still not understanding what the answer is:

Spanish Tierpoints currently issued (each way):

Business: 40TP
Flex Y: 20TP
Economy: 10TP

What will be the new tier points earned and will it effect flights already booked?

As mentioned by Hannibal, we and many others book these flights quite far in advance and will be pretty p'ed if we forked out for a ticket but the tier points don't allow us to renew.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:37 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Q&As part 2

Hi all

I have amended my original post and posted part 2.

David-A - I appreciate you have a lot of questions around this and I would like to offer you a one to one conversation if you'd prefer as I am having difficulty keeping up with your queries - it might help to have a conversation. Please pm me if you would like to do this and I will call you

Best regards

nicci
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for your update on the less than 2000 mile flights.

However what I was trying to ascertain was what TPs would be for non BA OW flights that fall into this category? Are they considered short haul flights and thus no change? Would it remain at 40 & 60 for J & F for these flights?

Last edited by Moomba; Oct 21, 2011 at 6:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.