Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Increasing Tier Points on Long haul flights

Old Oct 19, 11, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond

Couldn't find mention of this in the Bronze tier thread.. but it is long, so apologies if this is a duplicate. From the Executive Club is Changing page:

More Tier Point changes

We will be increasing the number of Tier Points you can earn on longhaul flights, giving you the opportunity to earn more when you fly

Perhaps reintroducing the differential for Far East or US West Coast flights??

Last edited by r22r44bell47; Oct 19, 11 at 6:38 am
Old Oct 19, 11, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Perhaps you'd also like to change "LH" to actually say "Long Haul".... I was rather confused as to why this thread is referring to Lufthansa !
Old Oct 19, 11, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
How I read it they will probably increase the TPs you earn on discounted economy. I would be really surprised if the TPs earned for LHR-LAX in J suddenly went up. Maybe they will give you more TPs if you travel of fully flex J/F tickets?
Old Oct 19, 11, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Fair point! The blinkered world of One World, eh??!
Old Oct 19, 11, 6:42 am

Programs: A3 *G, BAEC Bronze, LH *S
I posted the following in the euro-elite thread, but it's more fitting to put it here:

Given that SH points remain the same and assuming that we move to a more proportional zone system, a simple extrapolation based on actual distance flown gives us the following TP levels for LH (using discount economy as an example):

Code:
Zone   TPs
1-2     10
3       20
4       30
5       40
6       60
7       65
8       70
9      105
Of course who knows what they are planning to do. But based on simple algebra, these should be the new TP levels. In this case I will renew my (real)-Euro-Silver in zero time!
Any thoughts? These calculations seem to be quite generous, but you never know!
Old Oct 19, 11, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Another example of BA just teasing us, saying "more TPs" without releasing the actual numbers!!

I'm looking at TATL, with currently gives 75 TP/sector when doing MFU from WT+ to J. Could that go up? To what? Who knows - apart from BA who keeping telling us parts of the story?
Old Oct 19, 11, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
How I read it they will probably increase the TPs you earn on discounted economy. I would be really surprised if the TPs earned for LHR-LAX in J suddenly went up. Maybe they will give you more TPs if you travel of fully flex J/F tickets?
According to the BA email it is for all travel classes:

"From 16 November, you will earn an increased number of Tier Points when you fly on any of our longhaul routes, and in all travel classes, including Discounted Economy."
Old Oct 19, 11, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Another example of BA just teasing us, saying "more TPs" without releasing the actual numbers!!

I'm looking at TATL, with currently gives 75 TP/sector when doing MFU from WT+ to J. Could that go up? To what? Who knows - apart from BA who keeping telling us parts of the story?
Wow, someone has changed his tune...

Where is the pro-BA 'be patient and everything will all be A-OK' attitude?
Old Oct 19, 11, 6:55 am

Programs: ABBA
I'm certainly keen on finding the new values. It seems ridiculous that a T return to New York or Tel Aviv for 700 earns the same as a W return to Singapore for 2,600

However it wouldn't surprise me if it only applies for flights originating in Europe (it was bundled in with the announcement of the tier point increase). Again seems a bit wonky with a BRU-LHR-JFK return in discount club already earning 400tp.

To my mind Silver should require at least 12 segments (1 return every 2 months), and Gold at least 24 segments (1 return a month), making them benefits for frequent flyers.

Either that, or make them based on ticket price -- 10k for silver, 20k for gold.

I personally value my shiny new gold card as it gives me arrivals lounge access, which is really welcomed after an overnight flight before going to work.
Old Oct 19, 11, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Wow, someone has changed his tune...
Where is the pro-BA 'be patient and everything will all be A-OK' attitude?
I'm not changing the tune at all, so stop stirring

• I remain pro-BA for a number of reasons.
  • I refuse to engage in endless "what if?" discussions about unknowns, inspired guesses or "victim syndrome".
  • I continue to find it really very irritating that BA keeps telling just a part of the story - it's nice to hear that TPs will be going up on some sectors, but annoying that they don't bother to publish the details that matter!

I'm genuinely sorry you seem to be one of the net losers in all this, although your relocation didn't help either.
Old Oct 19, 11, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
They wont give the numbers as everyone will hold out and not fly until the new TP are introuced.
Old Oct 19, 11, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Is Boston classed as long haul? If so, will I get more tier points flying home on 18th November than I will get flying out on 11th November? (One PNR - return flight)
Old Oct 19, 11, 7:24 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Spanish domestics are going down but it doesnt say to what.

I am hoping it is just the business class fares from 40TP to 20TP and not the economy fares. Seems a bit harsh really as spanish domestic business class is actually a business class service and not like BAs Business UK.

Originally Posted by origin View Post
They wont give the numbers as everyone will hold out and not fly until the new TP are introuced.
Not everyone has a choice of when they fly - some of us have to be somewhere at a certain time for work!

Programs: BA Silver, AF Gold

Search this Thread
Search Engine: