Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Increasing Tier Points on Long haul flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Increasing Tier Points on Long haul flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by eddy67
So am I readying into this correctly that if I fly roundtrip from the US to LHR then I will not be eligible for the increased tier points as my trip neither originates or terminates in the UK ?

Seems a little unfair...
Being a bit hyper there, I think.

Your outbound sector will terminate in UK.
Your return sector will originate in UK.

Pour a cold one ... you'll be fine. ^
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Solution is not to start rumours, or post rumours of rumours, and just post facts with a credible link.

You'll get Americans all antsy, and just pi$$ of Brits and Europeans. It's hard enough to keep up with the reality!

However, thank you BA for finally citing the "increased" long-haul TPs. I guess you may be having as much difficulty as the rest of us, as another hastily-drafted 'News Release" drifts down from the top floor and the IT people try to get it on ba.com before we all burst into flames!
Helps me a lot, if I have one paid CW long haul trip a year at say 360-400TP's including the JER-LGW leg I will be capable of retaining Silver. I have 280TP's to get by August next year, not sure if it will happen or not!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Well that is interesting. Only two CWs on DOH<>NCL will keep me Silver.

Originally Posted by paulwuk
I'm certainly keen on finding the new values. It seems ridiculous that a T return to New York or Tel Aviv for Ł700 earns the same as a W return to Singapore for Ł2,600

However it wouldn't surprise me if it only applies for flights originating in Europe (it was bundled in with the announcement of the tier point increase). Again seems a bit wonky with a BRU-LHR-JFK return in discount club already earning 400tp.

To my mind Silver should require at least 12 segments (1 return every 2 months), and Gold at least 24 segments (1 return a month), making them benefits for frequent flyers.

Either that, or make them based on ticket price -- Ł10k for silver, Ł20k for gold.

I personally value my shiny new gold card as it gives me arrivals lounge access, which is really welcomed after an overnight flight before going to work.
This post is interesting, and I can really see where you are coming from on this paulwuk.

But ultimately I think that your analysis is flawed.

I will tell you why.

As an airline BA is not necessarily interested in rewarding the people who buy the highest fares, but rather those who spend the highest % of their willingness to pay.

BA's data will almost show that passengers who buy lower fares do in the main have lower willingness to pay than those who buy higher fares.

So passengers who pay for 3 I class returns may well be spending x%±e of their willingness to pay and those who pay for 3 J class returns may well be spending the same x%±e of their willingness to pay. There will of course be a distribution for x and e.

The reason is that the lower fares are only available for seats that would otherwise go unsold and anyway frequently have advance purchase and other severe conditions attached prohibiting most higher WTP passengers from making this kind of purchase.

The whole purpose of setting differentiated fares like this is to encourage passengers to pay as high a proportion of their WTP as possible.

Now to encourage loyalty amongst these passengers I believe it makes sense to reward equally for F and, J and I, and W and T.

I expect however that this analysis only really applies for F/CW/WTP pax however.

Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I take it flights already booked and taken after November will qualify for the new TP rates?

If so, MMB hasn't caught up yet. Tut tut!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
I take it flights already booked and taken after November will qualify for the new TP rates?

If so, MMB hasn't caught up yet. Tut tut!
Nicci has answered this on the other thread - flights TAKEN after 16/11 are at the new levels (regardless of when they were booked) and the calculator on ba.com will be updated after then too. I think from memory when they made the last changes due to the JBA, MMB then uses that updated calculator back-end to show its revised numbers. So I'd expect that to catch up soon after 16/11 too.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I'd like to see Tier Points increased for UK domestic. I was quoted - but did not pay - Ł501 on ba.com for a return from EDI-LGW next week. That's more than BA are currently quoting for return flights to the US.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Nicci has answered this on the other thread - flights TAKEN after 16/11 are at the new levels (regardless of when they were booked) and the calculator on ba.com will be updated after then too. I think from memory when they made the last changes due to the JBA, MMB then uses that updated calculator back-end to show its revised numbers. So I'd expect that to catch up soon after 16/11 too.
Many thanks - hadn't spotted that. ^
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Based on my current travel plans I expect to gain 160 tier points for each of runs to Europe.

160 = (60 YYZ - LHR + 20 LHR - MAD/BCN)*2

With the new tier points kicking in I will get 180 per run to europe.

Doesn't really change much in the grand scheme of things
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
I'd like to see Tier Points increased for UK domestic. I was quoted - but did not pay - Ł501 on ba.com for a return from EDI-LGW next week. That's more than BA are currently quoting for return flights to the US.
My guess is that in due time, what you'll see is the exact opposite. BA is now reducing TPs for domestic Spanish flights, my guess is that it is only a question of time before they align UK domestic flights on that, especially after BMI disappears for good.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
I'm certainly keen on finding the new values. It seems ridiculous that a T return to New York or Tel Aviv for Ł700 earns the same as a W return to Singapore for Ł2,600

However it wouldn't surprise me if it only applies for flights originating in Europe (it was bundled in with the announcement of the tier point increase). Again seems a bit wonky with a BRU-LHR-JFK return in discount club already earning 400tp.

To my mind Silver should require at least 12 segments (1 return every 2 months), and Gold at least 24 segments (1 return a month), making them benefits for frequent flyers.

Either that, or make them based on ticket price -- Ł10k for silver, Ł20k for gold.

I personally value my shiny new gold card as it gives me arrivals lounge access, which is really welcomed after an overnight flight before going to work.
BRU-LHR-JFK (40+120=160tps or 320 for a return) - that is 80 shy of the current 400 required for silver...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by T8191
Being a bit hyper there, I think.

Your outbound sector will terminate in UK.
Your return sector will originate in UK.

Pour a cold one ... you'll be fine. ^
To be fair, the Q&A uses the word "routes" which you are (probably correctly) translating to "sectors". Given that BA have already pulled the missing (**) trick on their "97% of routes" claim on day 1 of this process I remain nervous until we finally see the full, unexpurgated package of changes.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by bernardd
To be fair, the Q&A uses the word "routes" which you are (probably correctly) translating to "sectors". Given that BA have already pulled the missing (**) trick on their "97% of routes" claim on day 1 of this process I remain nervous until we finally see the full, unexpurgated package of changes.
But at least there is finally a benefit for bernardd - increased tps on transatlantic flights!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
But at least there is finally a benefit for bernardd - increased tps on transatlantic flights!
As it happens that benefit makes no difference to me personally - I've comfortably collected the TP's for Silver since I re-joined BAEC in 2007 but have never been remotely close to even thinking about Gold, so this change, together with the Bronze level is unfortunately a big jawn - the extra TP's will be wasted so far as I can see.

I guess I'm just in the wrong place and/or the wrong time.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by bernardd
I guess I'm just in the wrong place and/or the wrong time.
If you're in the wrong place, get on a plane and put it right.

(And get the TPs).
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
If you're in the wrong place, get on a plane and put it right.

(And get the TPs).
It ain't a transitory thing - I choose to be here most times, though the current drought is upleasant. I'm currently watching my Thanksgiving crop of vegetables grow, and I've just bought a sailing dinghy (aka sailboat to our American cousins) to potter about on the Lake which I can do for another 6-8 weeks, and pick up again while the Brits still need wetsuits.

Austin is however "wrong" in the sense that it's an airline market, just like the European one, that BA, with whom I have the most current status plus a chunk of points, are showing every sign of de-emphasizing in favour of trunk routes like LHR-JFK.

I can take a hint!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.