Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: end of euro elite thresholds

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
For those of us who don't live in the UK then there should be some incentive to choose BA and suffer transfer at LHR. From finland Lufthansa offer much smoother and easier transfers in Munich and even Frankfurt. 30 minute minimum connection time in Munich and no busses between terminals.

The FAQ is not that convincing in its explanation either
Why are you increasing European thresholds?
Originally it was much harder for those Executive Club members living in Europe to achieve the next tier status.
How was it harder for them to earn TP? european members would fly to london and then take another flight from there. So two flights when most members based in the UK would take only one flight.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Interesting, i am in my 6th month of my membership year, got 1200 points and last week it said i had retained gold for another year. Will that change now? Do i need 1500 points to-re qualify?

Where can i find more updates?
Globalist
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Longhaul Tier point increases? Anyone know any more?
After 2 years at over 2,000 TPs, will I finally succeed with a GUF2?

Also a bit confused as in one FAQ it states "Long haul originating and terminating in UK" and then "originating and terminating in Europe"
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:23 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
This marks a definite shift away from actively trying to court the continental European marketplace. Not everyone was Eurocheating of course!

I have two (legitimate) residences -- one in GB and one in Continental Europe. I'm just off to pop over to Tesco's and to call American Express...

I did notice this little nugget on the Dutch site -- interesting:

Originally Posted by ba.com
More Tier Point changes

We will be increasing the number of Tier Points you can earn on longhaul flights, giving you the opportunity to earn more when you fly.

As well as introducing our Bronze tier, and changes to how Tier Points are earned, in March 2012 we are aligning our tier thresholds around the world. All members will need to earn the same number of Tier Points to reach each level:

Bronze - 300 Tier Points, including 2 eligible flights or 25 eligible flights
Silver - 600 Tier Points, including 4 eligible flights or 50 eligible flights
Gold - 1,500 Tier Points, including 4 eligible flights

Last edited by vla; Oct 18, 2011 at 8:24 am Reason: I, now, see ColdWalker had noticed the increased TP numbers for LH before I did.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well this seems to be true.... I just hope that the current management have mesured the effect of such changes for europe customers. I can only talk about the Geneva area. This station has always been a very high yield but things have changed drasticly in recent yeard.... the subcontracting of BA handling to DNATA and the total lack of premium service for transfering through LHR made it almost impossible to those high yield passengers to keep flying BA....

So increasing the requirement to retain gold status without any improvement in the offering, let aside the fact that BA status has absolutly no advantage at all.... will just weakend the BA presence in europe.... Great Management !!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:25 am

Thinking of why members based in continental Europe should choose BA, my view is that the fares are a good-enough incentive.

I believe it would be good to discuss (well, speculate) on how requalification will be handled for members whose membership year ends after March 2012 (I started the discussion in this post on the thread about bronze tier, but as the mods suggested it is now appropriate to continue it here).

Essentially the question is: if our membership year ends after March 2012, are we allowed to requalify based on the old thresholds as long as we do it before March?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Globalist
Interesting, i am in my 6th month of my membership year, got 1200 points and last week it said i had retained gold for another year. Will that change now?
Tier point level changing doesn't happen until March. Given that you have already retained Gold for another year, this won't change.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You mean that all that was keeping such passengers with BA was a better label on the bottle of free champagne from which they were quaffing? And that makes all the difference between flying BA and not flying BA?
BA Gold is much more than free champagne.
I don't even like champagne, so the champagne label is irrelevant to me.

It's not like BA offers a superior inflight product, so I think there needs to be an intencive to choose BA over the competitors.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
There is a little sweetener in there - "We will be increasing the number of Tier Points you can earn on longhaul flights, giving you the opportunity to earn more when you fly".
Good call! If that's the case, and the devil is in the detail, then I think it makes it less harsh.

H
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoch
Good call! If that's the case, and the devil is in the detail, then I think it makes it less harsh.

H
Unless they're going to almost double the amount of Tier Points earned, then it's still going to take almost twice as much flying as previously to maintain Gold!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
IMO, this is stupid. it seems from threads here that there were a lot of Euro cheats, but there were also a lot of true Euros. When you live in Europe and have no special reasons to fly to London, the reduced level to reach gold or silver was a STRONG incentive to fly LH in CW on BA. Used to be that CW biz seat was unique and prices were cheap. But now BA prices are not cheap compared to alternatives and most airlines have (or are in the process of) installed flat beds. So having to transit thru LHR is not attractive anymore.

One side question. Assuming that you are based in Europe, assuming that you are Gold, with expiry in May. Assuming that you reach 800 TPs by March when the new structure applies, will you requalify? (sorry that last quesiton was already asked, but it is crucial to me).
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Although its not clear that increasing the long haul TPs will make much difference to Euro members. At present, you need 1 long-haul ex EU (320 TPs) and 1 UK-EU return in CE to hit Silver. Under the current TP system, with a 600 point threshold, you would need 2 long-haul returns to hit Silver. That is unlikely to change - you would need to raise the CW tier points to 220 (from 120) to still enable you to get Silver with 1 l/h and 1 s/h, and that isn't going to happen.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by flying_pig
Thinking of why members based in continental Europe should choose BA, my view is that the fares are a good-enough incentive.

Qatar and Emirates are cheaper to Asia and Oceania than BA from where I am based. KL is also usually cheaper to both Asia and North America.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
One side question. Assuming that you are based in Europe, assuming that you are Gold, with expiry in May. Assuming that you reach 800 TPs by March when the new structure applies, will you requalify? (sorry that last quesiton was already asked, but it is crucial to me).
I would certainly hope so!

My membership year ends in April. I have enough travel booked to requalify as Gold by late March. But depending on when exactly in March the TP requalification change is implemented, I could instead find myself drastically off the required requalification level. I'm not particularly happy at that prospect! I need not have booked those trips with BA if it now turns out I'm not going to requalify as Gold.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Now on the Swiss BA site:

Originally Posted by ba.com
Continued Silver or Gold status

Finally, as a way of recognising your continued loyalty to British Airways, and to help make the transition to our new higher tier thresholds easier, we are offering you the chance to retain your status.

If you are a Silver or Gold Member on 1 March 2012 you will be able to renew at your existing Tier Point threshold (400/800 respectively) for the next two membership years. However, in order to achieve the next tier after 1 March 2012, you will need to do so at the new levels of 600/1500 Tier Points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.