Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX £900 cheaper than BA to Sydney in J

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
CX £900 cheaper than BA to Sydney in J

With work paying and a focus on costs, it's bye bye BA/QF and no real drama for me. The return CX fare is just £3.3k and flexible for a fee, vs £4.2k on BA/QF non-flexible. And I get to use the BA/QF lounges at either end anyway, and the nice CX lounge in HKG. The CX seats are private, flat and easy to access the aisle... I'm trying to think of downside? Fewer miles? Don't really need them. Anything else to watch out for? I last flew CX J in Dec 09.

James
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: BA
Current lowest fare to SYD is £4.2 in J with BA.
But, I recently bought a WTP ticket to SYD for £1.4, and was offered an upgrade to J in MMB for a further £1.4k hence a total >£3k. Flights for next May/June.

Should point out I'm actually on QF metal, but booked via BA.com
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by malkie
Current lowest fare to SYD is £4.2 in J with BA.
But, I recently bought a WTP ticket to SYD for £1.4, and was offered an upgrade to J in MMB for a further £1.4k hence a total >£3k. Flights for next May/June.

Should point out I'm actually on QF metal, but booked via BA.com
£1.4 for QF PE return? That's a bargain! I paid that for the inferior BA WT+ in 2004!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by James S
£1.4 for QF PE return? That's a bargain! I paid that for the inferior BA WT+ in 2004!
2 weeks advance purchase, book before Oct 12 I believe.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The potential downside to this, though I would guess less than 25% chance, would be an irrops in terms of HKG arrival time. In which case there is a risk that the diverted Australia sector would be indirect and/or involve CX's old cradle seats rather than in the new Cirrus. One huge advantage BA has (and QF to a lesser extent) is that their hard CW product is universal, whereas CX has quite a variety of kit out there.

It happened to me a few months ago. It certainly wouldn't stop me going for the lower fare though, particularly in view of the flexibility. I don't much mind CX's old seats, apart from the lack of direct laptop power.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
One huge advantage BA has (and QF to a lesser extent) is that their hard CW product is universal, whereas CX has quite a variety of kit out there..
I've heard of BA subbing a 767 with CE on routes that normally get CW but I take your point, maybe a greater chance on CX.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont want to hijack. But also CX are very reasonable on some flights to HKG.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by origin
I dont want to hijack. But also CX are very reasonable on some flights to HKG.
Hijack? I think you just contributed???
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Dont fly that route on business any longer but Corporate Agent used to book everyone on CX to HKG as it was a lot cheaper. CX discount heavily to Corporate Agents.

CX J (herringbone seats) is OK and do not get excited over it. Find it about the same with BA at all levels. The old cradle seats were/are not comfortable for sleep and is at an angle. Have not tried the new J seats (configured like NF) but I do not believe they have been widely rolled out as yet.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
CX would also mean two lots of of long haul TP's each way.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
I also use CX quite a bit for cost/flexibility reasons, and lately for the convenience of arriving/departing Tokyo Haneda at very sensible times of day (yes, albeit flying longer and changing in HKG, which I don't mind). My only concern is Cathay cancelling return HKG-LHR flights resulting in an enforced overnight in Hong Kong - happened a couple of times to me in the last year. That said I'm off to Haneda again in two weeks, so it can't bother me that much. The comment about variable hard product is also very true - despite the best planning I've been caught a few times.....
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With work paying and a focus on costs, it's bye bye BA/QF and no real drama for me. The return CX fare is just £3.3k and flexible for a fee, vs £4.2k on BA/QF non-flexible. And I get to use the BA/QF lounges at either end anyway, and the nice CX lounge in HKG. The CX seats are private, flat and easy to access the aisle... I'm trying to think of downside? Fewer miles? Don't really need them. Anything else to watch out for? I last flew CX J in Dec 09.
Not really. Go for it.

The only things to be aware are:
1) Skinny, rather worn out seats on the 747s (BA's CW seats are better)
2) No Club Kitchen/ limited snacking on the flight
3) Rather robotic cabin crew
4) The 1230 flight from LHR is a killer for jetlag
5) Half the miles you would otherwise earn

On the other hand:
1) AVOD that actually works
2) Nice main meals
3) Good transit procedure at HKG, although miles and miles of walking potentially
4) Choice of BA/CX Lounges at LHR/HKG
5) Loads more TPs
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: BA
Indeed. I started a thread to ask if that was a decent fare, and was told to bite their arm off (which I did). Even bagged UD exit rows on their A380 in both directions.

My post was really about the £2.8k J fare on BA.com for SYD(via MMB upgrade).

I can't justify double the ticket price though. I'd rather have £3k in my pocket for the holiday.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another option, if you are craving TPs, is AY. They have a semi-flexible fare of £3200 (£2650+tax), with a variety of connections using BA/AY to HEL, AY to HKG/SIN/BKK and CX/BA/QF for the onward leg.

Or do the ARN shuffle for even more bonanza TPs.

Only EUR115 change fee.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Another option, if you are craving TPs, is AY. They have a semi-flexible fare of £3200 (£2650+tax), with a variety of connections using BA/AY to HEL, AY to HKG/SIN/BKK and CX/BA/QF for the onward leg.

Or do the ARN shuffle for even more bonanza TPs.

Only EUR115 change fee.
Though if you're not careful you could end up with a wedgie seat on the AY leg. Guaranteed on all HKG and SIN flights and most BKK flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.