Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Should I use Avis for US car hire?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
OT: Should I use Avis for US car hire?

Flying Ba over to the US in a couple of weeks and then a nice TP run to Las Vegas.
Looking at hiring a car there for a couple of days and been pricing things up.

If I go directly to Avis, I'm looking at around £73 for a 4dr intermediate car.
Going through the BA website gets me the same car for £66 + 500 BA miles.

Checked Hertz and they are coming in at a good £17 cheaper than Avis, and for roughly the same price as Avis through BA, I can hire at Dollar with a full tank of fuel.

Whilst the miles are tempting, a £19 difference between Hertz and Avis makes me want to hire via Hertz as 500 BA miles aren't worth that.
Is there any advantage or cons as to who I hire from? Not doing it on a regular basis so I'm not going to be renting enough to get extra priviledges etc (may hire for a day or to in San Juan as well)

(Was also looking at Hertz through the Virgin Atlantic website as you apparently get 1000 miles per day or rental or the Priority Club website that gives you 125 points per day - same price as going direct although there's no option to pre-pay which is probably wise?)
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by xenole
Flying Ba over to the US in a couple of weeks and then a nice TP run to Las Vegas.
Looking at hiring a car there for a couple of days and been pricing things up.

If I go directly to Avis, I'm looking at around £73 for a 4dr intermediate car.
Going through the BA website gets me the same car for £66 + 500 BA miles.

Checked Hertz and they are coming in at a good £17 cheaper than Avis, and for roughly the same price as Avis through BA, I can hire at Dollar with a full tank of fuel.

Whilst the miles are tempting, a £19 difference between Hertz and Avis makes me want to hire via Hertz as 500 BA miles aren't worth that.
Is there any advantage or cons as to who I hire from? Not doing it on a regular basis so I'm not going to be renting enough to get extra priviledges etc (may hire for a day or to in San Juan as well)

(Was also looking at Hertz through the Virgin Atlantic website as you apparently get 1000 miles per day or rental or the Priority Club website that gives you 125 points per day - same price as going direct although there's no option to pre-pay which is probably wise?)
I use Hertz because I have a President's Club card, so I'm biased. When you book with Hertz there is a box on the last page to put in your FF number - the miles update into your Flying club account pretty quickly.

Colleagues of mine who don't have gold with a rental company prefer Avis as they feel they get free upgrades more often than with Hertz, but you should have a #1 Club or Avis Preferred account.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Couldn't sign up for the #1 club yesterday - let me enter everything on both pages and then when I clicked on continue, it took me to a page asking if I wanted to join the #1 club!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Personally, I would not touch Avis wish a barge pole that has been dipped in some putrid substance...

I much prefer Alamo/National... Although I don't get anything for renting with them apart from the same staff discount as Avis offer... But I think Avid are absolutely terrible.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:36 am

Everyone has their own horror stories and bias. I'd quite happily go Ryan Gosling in "Drive" on one or two staff members of Hertz LHR.

I tend to use Avis more and more these days. It's got harder and harder to wangle good discount codes out of Avis and Hertz these days and the AvisBA price seems to be pretty competitive. Avis preferred is easy to sign up for and after you've shown your credit card the first time it really is quick and easy at the big airport locations. Also, you completely bypass any up selling of insurances and the like at the desk, which I loathe.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Prices can depend a lot on rental destination, and type of vehicle, of course. But hardly ever have I found either Hertz or Avis the best value for my requirements [SUV from IAD].

Have you tried looking any of the 'consolidators'? It may take an hour or two, but you could save a lot. I'm looking at my work-sheet for our trip next May, Intermediate SUV for 3 weeks - prices range from £432 > £548.

Dollar 432
Netflights 432 [with Dollar]
USrentacar 432 [Dollar]
Travel Supermaket 432 [Dollar]
Expedia 458 [Alamo]
eBookers 482 !! [Dollar]
Kayak 483 [Dollar]
Thrifty 432
Alamo 476
National 478
Virgin 492 [Alamo]
Avis/BA 530
Budget 548
Hertz 622 [possibly a Full size?]

Always worth checking the T&Cs to ensure all the various insurances are included - they tend to be with the consolidators.

Last edited by T8191; Oct 9, 2011 at 3:48 am
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Alamo give you AA miles should you want to collect them. Suppose they could be useful if they can be used for domestic positioning flights.

What sort of credit card hold / deposits do they take from your credit card anyway? Don't really want to find a $500 hold for a 2 day rental from one company whereas another that may cost a few £ more only takes $100 and returns it quicker.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm fairly Miles-rich, and pre-paying on my BA Amex anyway.

On my last rental, they put a $350 hold on my card until the return. That was for bits like prepaid tank of gas and breakdown cover. Actual bill on return was $222.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
In the UK, I have only ever had a hold equivalent to a tank of petrol.

In the US, it was, I think, about $150 for Alamo.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:07 am

I rent from both Avis and Hertz regularly. I find them much about the same, although Hertz tends to be slightly cheaper but this seems to depend on location in my experience.

Take a look at this FT forum Car Rental Programs/Partners. There are numerous tips regarding each programme. There are also some useful codes that you can use (and discussions about the morals of using such codes) within those forums, which will provide a discount.

Avis

Hertz

You can often shave 20% and more off the published rate (although miles will not post for some codes).

With Hertz, I signed up with my Amex Plat and received #1 Gold membership and receive (upto) 20% off with the Amex code. I've just made President's Circle but I've not rented at that level yet, so can't comment on upgrades/service.

Palmer

Last edited by Palmer; Oct 9, 2011 at 4:46 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Personally, I would not touch Avis wish a barge pole that has been dipped in some putrid substance...

I much prefer Alamo/National... Although I don't get anything for renting with them apart from the same staff discount as Avis offer... But I think Avid are absolutely terrible.
The response from BBB is based on his own personal experience (and probably the experiences of friends/colleagues) but I have to agree with him. I had an issue with BA/Avis earlier this year when my BA issued Avis car hire voucher was "declined" at a local Orlando hotel, apparently the BA / Avis account was "closed" and I would have to rebook. This took the best part of 2 hours after several failed calls to BA and Avis head office at Orlando International airport. The response from BA when I got home was unacceptable and didn't fully answer the "account closed" question. I would be reluctant to book with them again. Was it BA or Avis?, they just pointed the finger of blame at each other, so both guilty in my view.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike&co
....... Was it BA or Avis?, they just pointed the finger of blame at each other, so both guilty in my view.
That's what you get when airlines branch out into Car Rental and Hotels.
Divided responsibility, along with potential communications failure.
And for some strange reason, lousy prices in comparison to dealing direct with different Car Rental companies.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 5:02 am

I had a lot of problems with Avis at Gatwick and in the States late last year.

At LGW I had to pay a fine for a bulge on the tyre (about £90GBP) upon return. I couldn't prove it wasn't my fault so I just paid it and let it go (even though I now bring it up here ) This may not have been Avis's fault, but that's the first time I've had a bulge in a tyre before in over 25 years of driving and I wonder if the tyre had a weakness or I didn't spot it on collection.

About 3 weeks later I had a lot of problems upon returning another car and getting the rate sorted as I was overcharged. They sorted it but it took a manager and absolutely ages to resolve the matter, and if I hadn't spotted the overcharge I would have been considerably out of pocket.

Finally, in Orlando I put up with quite a pushy sell on their extra insurances which I didn't want . Then the guy said can I take a seat and we had to wait an extra 30 minutes, just to pick up a standard full size vehicle - last thing we needed after a long flight (the guy in the car park couldn't understand why we had to wait as they had tons available). On return we'd been charged one of the extra insurances anyway! Another wait in line and a blunt refusal to refund - until I showed her the original agreement we'd signed when we picked up the vehicle and then she refunded us.

So three car hires from Avis in about 5 weeks. 2 defininely at fault, the third possibly an Avis fault.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by alwaysbanevervs
I had a lot of problems with Avis at Gatwick and in the States late last year.

At LGW I had to pay a fine for a bulge on the tyre (about £90GBP) upon return. I couldn't prove it wasn't my fault so I just paid it and let it go (even though I now bring it up here ) This may not have been Avis's fault, but that's the first time I've had a bulge in a tyre before in over 25 years of driving and I wonder if the tyre had a weakness or I didn't spot it on collection.
I think that's quite harsh. I would imagine a bulge on a tyre is the result of some defect in the tyre and not as a result of your driving (and you'd probably remember it if it was). I'd go as far to say that it's over-inflation - obviously easier said than done.

I feel your pain!

Palmer
Old Oct 9, 2011, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compare and contrast ...
  • Last year in Virginia I carelessly clipped a kerb, which slashed the wall of the tyre and dented the alloy wheel rim a bit. After a quick phone call to the Alamo office at IAD, I drove gently over there and swapped the vehicle for a different one. No comment, no charge, nothing ... even though the agreement said their insurances didn't cover damage to tyres.
  • This year I picked up a nail in a tyre, which deflated overnight. Called the Dollar breakdown number, guy arrives and swaps for the emergency tyre. Drove one block to local garage, who fixed the puncture for $23. Reported incident on car return - and they refunded the charge [I had paid for their extra breakdown insurance this time].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.