Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First international flight alone...questions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First international flight alone...questions!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Let's hope so after the big build up she's been getting.
It is good to see someone getting excited over a long haul flight in economy and travelling overseas alone for the first time.
Some of my best travelling experiences were when travelling alone.
you are right, hopefully she will have a nice one or she will get all our addresses and send us some rotten German sausages as a thank you note

One think is sure, the 1st time you do that (flight alone overseas) is very exiting.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Padmeister

What normal 16 year old reads the daily mail?
I wish I was 16 and I read the Daily Mail, Telegraph and Financial Times. Does that count?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion

What normal 16 year old reads the daily mail?
No normal person of any age should read that heap of dross
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pianogirl78
Hi all. I am new to this forum.
Hello & Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by buddman
Excuse me? You are 16 years old and you have over 1100 posts on Flyertalk? Do you go to school, or are you a stowaway during the day?
Yeah I do go to school! A good 400 or so of these posts were made this Summer- and I have a life too, I can assure you! I am not going out tonight- rare for a Friday! I go to school 5 days a week but do get about 14 weeks of holidays in total! I also am getting a part time job in Jack Wills + a holiday job in London during Easter/Summer next year as a model in Hollister... I will soon be short of free time!

And Paddy- thanks for the comments! I like the Daily Mail, it is either that or The Sun which I read when I am in an airport!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikey2124
The Sun
Undoubtedly the best newspaper! It really is incredibly well written.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:49 pm

Thumbs up

Thank you! I am excited too! When I tell people that I am doing this trip alone, they think I am crazy and ask me if I am scared. I am definitely going to push myself out of my comfort zone and enjoy this experience!
Friends that I've known for years still ask me things like that when I travel (which I do for work and vacation, so ALL the time!) I don't think it matters that I'm 24, or that you're 33, they just can't imagine doing it themselves. So they're shocked that someone would think to do that and be okay with it. It seems like you've got a great attitude about it, so I think you really will enjoy it! Hopefully so much so that you're back at it again soon!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMR1223
Friends that I've known for years still ask me things like that when I travel (which I do for work and vacation, so ALL the time!) I don't think it matters that I'm 24, or that you're 33, they just can't imagine doing it themselves. So they're shocked that someone would think to do that and be okay with it. It seems like you've got a great attitude about it, so I think you really will enjoy it! Hopefully so much so that you're back at it again soon!
That is so true! I live in Florida, and most of the people I know have lived in our town their whole lives and have never ventured out of the state. I have lived all over the country and traveled overseas with my family when I was younger because my dad was military. I have always wanted to go back to Germany, and I am finally being bold and doing it. My friends and others always ask if I know anyone where I am going and I say no....the look of shock on their faces always amaze me. You are right, it's not the age, it is the shock factor! I just don't want to know the place where I live, I want to see other places.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Welcome to FT pianogirl78. ^

When you are travelling remember that there are so many people who have not flown before or do not fly that much going through the airport and sitting on the plane.

The airlines know this and they are well prepared. At every stage you will find staff available to show you where to go and what to do. The service will not be very personal as there are so many thousands of passengers to process, but nonetheless try to just go with the flow.

I hope that you have a great time.

One sexy itinerary: Round the world in 89 hours: The long awaited TR by olybeast
Thank you. I am definitely going to go with the flow and put my fear behind me.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amaroo
Welcome to FT.

I totally agree with your decision to stay Y. 7 hours is not a major long haul but I may have a bias view as I live in Australia - flights to most places take a long time.

Have great trip, enjoy every (good & bad) moment, keep your wits about you and most importantly do some research on each destination - this is how you will really maximise your time and experiences.
Thanks! I keep saying to myself that if I can sit in my car and drive 6 hours to a destination, I can handle a 7 hour flight!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi Pianogirl and welcome to FT

Dont worry about Y its perfectly acceptable before finding out about FT i travelled in Y and could not see what all the moaning and groaning was all about! for 7 hours you will be fine! and always remember BA Economy is actually quite good it could be hell of alot worse you could be flying easy jet or ryanair or monarch the list goes on.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I am happy I found this site to get facts and advice from others who have flown BA economy!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Well, I think that your friends must be completely inexperienced flyers. Why is it crazy? I figure that you aren't exactly a girl, either. Aren't you about 33? Maybe I'm jaded, but that's not like 16 or 17 and doing it alone. Many women your age are professionals who regularly fly internationally alone. You'll be fine.

I just got back home (Poland) yesterday and flew economy all the way. I flew TPA-ATL, then ATL-AMS and then AMS-WAW. The longest flight was 7.5 hours flying time.

If you aren't particularly tall or particularly overweight, economy will be fine as far as space. If you are used to picking up after yourself and getting your own meals, you will probably actually feel a bit pampered--even in economy. After all, the FA actually pour your drinks for you and hand them to you. They tear off the cover off the meal and hand it to you. What's to complain about? You can walk to the back and ask for more to drink if you want it--or even more snacks as well like peanuts or crackers or cookies if they have them. I guess my expectations aren't too high, are they?

As to being chatty--yes, many economy travelers are chatty, but since it will be overnight, be sure to be considerate and not be too chatty. People around you will want to sleep. Some will want to watch movies on their Ipad or listen to their mp3 player or use the in flight entertainment system. You will probably enjoy it as well. I found that I was too tired, though, on my flight to use it since we flew so late (left ATL at 10:40 pm).

Overall, people will (probably) be friendly and you will enjoy yourself. Relax and don't tell everyone you meet it is your time flying alone--;0 The "jaded" passengers are those who are spoiled--up in BE or F class.

I had to laugh as yesterday in AMS, when getting out of the plane, they couldn't get the gate connected to the plane, so we all had to deplane out the back--using stairs. So, that meant the BACK of the plane got to exit first. All of us in the back were kind of chuckling at the "bad luck" of the "poor business class" passengers, who, for once, got to go last. They had made a point of announcing that the business class passengers would exit first and THEN economy class. Then, a few minutes later.."sorry passengers, but we have a problem with our exit ramp", or whatever they call it . Finally the magic solution (after about half an hour) was to use the stairs out the back.

Have a great time in Germany and may your enjoy every minute of your adventure. Keep a journal. The Brits are friendly and will help you if you get lost as you wander around London.
Thanks for all your valuable information! Yes, I am 33. You are correct. My friends in the town I live are inexperienced flyers. I am also an inexperienced flyer. Since I decided to do this trip, there is just shock and disbelief that I am doing this alone and that I am going overseas without knowing anyone.
I am hoping that this will be the first of many international trips for me because I want to see so many places.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:54 pm

That is so true! I live in Florida, and most of the people I know have lived in our town their whole lives and have never ventured out of the state. I have lived all over the country and traveled overseas with my family when I was younger because my dad was military. I have always wanted to go back to Germany, and I am finally being bold and doing it. My friends and others always ask if I know anyone where I am going and I say no....the look of shock on their faces always amaze me. You are right, it's not the age, it is the shock factor! I just don't want to know the place where I live, I want to see other places.
LOL! I live in Florida too! I would say maybe it's a Florida thing, but I've gotten that reaction from people all over the country. I think there are just a lot of people who are uncomfortable with the idea of going abroad (or on vacation in general) all by themselves. Everywhere you go, there you are.

I love living in Florida, it's a great place to come home to (who wouldn't want to wake up to the beach every morning???). It is so great to see other places though! Doing it on your own is definitely an amazing, mind-expanding, self-confidence boosting experience!

I can't say it enough, enjoy this experience! I hope it adds to your desire to travel!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if the late night flights out of iad are normally filled to capacity? I am leaving on a friday night so I am guessing it will be a crowded flight? Also, what meals are normally served on the night flights?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by JMR1223

I love living in Florida, it's a great place to come home to (who wouldn't want to wake up to the beach every morning???). It is so great to see other places though!
I doubt I would feel the need to travel as much if I lived in Florida! I love the warm weather and the sunshine and love being by the sea. Hopefully one day if I qualify to be a pilot for BA after A Level's I will be working at LGW on the 777's flying to TPA/ANU/BGI etc so would never be short of sunshine then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.