Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First international flight alone...questions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First international flight alone...questions!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Don't forget this is an overnight flt so many passengers will be sleeping! I don't knowif BA provide pillows and blankets but someone here will. If they don't, you might want to get both. The travel gear websites have very warm but lightweight blankets that roll or fold into a very small bundle. Be sure to drink lots of water, not a lot of alcohol or coffee, so you stay hydrated. It helps with jetlag and you'll feel better! Also makes you get up and move around! Keep your passport and other valuables secure if you sleep. My passport is on my person as well as a credit card and some cash just in case someone not so honest is aboard. Or have your bag locked in the overhead.

In London don't forget to look at the whole streetbefore crossing! It's so easy to forget that traffic is in the opposite lane!

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You obviously haven't sat next to me I'm a right grumpy git.
Gold card holders flying in Y usually are grumpy gits.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:27 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Gold card holders flying in Y usually are grumpy gits.
Soon to be Silver, then Blue, and still grumpy.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Enjoy pianogirl78, I am only 16 and have travelled on my own before from JER-LGW-JER for the day, short journey but I had to get into Central London all by myself etc.

I enjoyed it, especially on the way back when I was less worried as it wasn't 6AM in the morning! My journey back was very leisurely, into LGW by 4:30PM, at the Terraces lounge by 5PM, quick shower + change of clothes after exhausting day shopping in the city, a drink and snack, read of the Daily Mail and checked Facebook on my BlackBerry.

Flight delayed 20 minutes, down at the gate in time, lovely service on the short 45 min flight home in Club and before I knew it I was back in JER, bag collected, Ł400 worse off after the days shopping though!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Soon to be Silver, then Blue, and still grumpy.
I hope never to be sitting next to you in Y then.

Originally Posted by mikey2124
bag collected, Ł400 worse off after the days shopping though!
You will buy expensive after shave from A&F.

By the way I got my after shave.....Kuoros, Ł24 from Boots for a big bottle.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think the biggest concern you will have on this trip, pianogirl78, is whether to credit the frequent-flyer miles earned to AA or BA.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I hope never to be sitting next to you in Y then.

You will buy expensive after shave from A&F.

By the way I got my after shave.....Kuoros, Ł24 from Boots for a big bottle.
I didn't actually go to A&F, it was too far away from Westfield in White City/Shephard's Bush where I was shopping that day.

Abercrombie just lost my order... it was due to arrive last week and never did! It is actually DHL's fault for losing it but I am not happy... at least I have been refunded!

Will get a hoodie in London the next time I am over but I am waiting for New York in February! The New York markets will be benefiting well after my big spend! :roll eyes:

+ HIDDY, I am impressed!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kileysmom
I don't knowif BA provide pillows and blankets but someone here will. If they don't, you might want to get both.
BA is a full service airline, so blankets and pillows are provided, as well as drinks and food, which are all included in the cost of the ticket (no buy on board).
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Piano lady, don't heed any of those old geezers tales... I have always travelled F, since I was a winny tinny kid. Pan Am, TWA and Swiss...and still fly F, the most memorable flight I have ever taken and it still stays in my experiences that I always mention to my kids was on Sir Freddy Lakers... went from LA to Nice and we (my gf) will never ever forget that flight... we were students on a very tight budget and we had the time of our lives.... I won't say more...

But 40 years on, we still remember that plane ride.... It was the only time that I flew a LC, and what fun... wish it on my kids...

So do not listen to those overweight hags... go and have a ball.

And so what if blankets aren't provided. I fly F and always 1k/A guess what.... I always have my own shawl, in case I get cold... always... summer/winter whenever. even in F.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Oct 6, 2011 at 6:17 pm
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Well, w/o even realizing it, I think you picked the most desirable of the IAD flights if you must fly economy; you'll be on a 763, where the seats are in a 2-3-2 configuration, vs. a 777 with 3-3-3 or a 744 with 3-4-3 so if you get a side seat you'll only have one seatmate. However, this is also a great flight to inquire about day-of upgrades, since the 2-2-2 layout of WT+ makes it equivalent to domestic first class in the US (other than LA/SF-NY, for the most part).
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Well, w/o even realizing it, I think you picked the most desirable of the IAD flights if you must fly economy; you'll be on a 763, where the seats are in a 2-3-2 configuration, vs. a 777 with 3-3-3 or a 744 with 3-4-3 so if you get a side seat you'll only have one seatmate. However, this is also a great flight to inquire about day-of upgrades, since the 2-2-2 layout of WT+ makes it equivalent to domestic first class in the US (other than LA/SF-NY, for the most part).
That is good to hear. I actually picked this outbound flight by accident. I was trying to fly out of BWI and did not realize I chose IAD and when I called customer service, they were going to charge me $275 just to change my flight, so I kept it as is.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
^, good choice. You will definitely find someone who will lend you an ear if not be very happy for you. As you grow and make money and can afford the other classes, you'll find that those pax usually tend to themselves and are very jaded. Happy flying and nothing to fear, put this experience into your life experiences notebook...

Have a wonderful year with lots of explorations and new experiences. And if you need advise on inter-europe flying, then come on back and I am sure everyone will help you out.

I remember a poster by the screen name olyboy or something of that sort who wanted to do a fly around the world in Y, almost everyone told him not to in Y. Guess what, he went ahead and it was an incredible experience for him....
Thank you for all of your advice. I know I will definitely have more questions for everyone as my trip gets closer.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMR1223
Hi, pianogirl78! Welcome to FT!

I think you'll be fine in Y, it's really not that long of a flight to LHR. I wanted to add how great I think it is you're doing this trip alone! Your first international solo trip is an amazing experience! Keep your wits about you, but don't be afraid to try new things! Go to that restaurant even though you're by yourself, ride the metro, venture out, push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Safe travels! I'm excited for you!!
Thank you! I am excited too! When I tell people that I am doing this trip alone, they think I am crazy and ask me if I am scared. I am definitely going to push myself out of my comfort zone and enjoy this experience!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the responses and advice. I am feeling less anxious about the trip and not so hesitant about flying economy. Sorry for all my separate posts...I'm not sure how to respond to multiple responses in one reply. Once my trip is complete, I will give a full report of my experiences with my flights as well as the program I am attending in Germany. I know I will also have more questions until then.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by pianogirl78
That is good to hear. I actually picked this outbound flight by accident. I was trying to fly out of BWI and did not realize I chose IAD and when I called customer service, they were going to charge me $275 just to change my flight, so I kept it as is.
Probably better that way since if somehow you miss your flight out of IAD there's a later one while BWI has but one per day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.