Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - EDI catering?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The morning LON-EDI/GLA and v/v serve hot breakfasts, on the other hand.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stifle
The morning LON-EDI/GLA and v/v serve hot breakfasts, on the other hand.
Which is a nice idea, but I at least never take one when working (on the GLA-LHR) - in the confined space, it's far too easy to spill tomato or something on your shirt!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
HIDDY....I can endure many things, but over £200 single EDI-LHR for no catering is a poor deal..... Perhaps I have been spoilt in the 25 years that I have been doing the run to Scotland since AIR UK had the LGW "Sterling service"....
Even DAN-AIR put on a show on the LGW-ABZ flights... and whilst I don't expect a hot meal (that was previously supplied) or the salad, I still think the option of a wrap or sandwich should not be too difficult.
When BA dumped the evening catering, I switched to BMI business class. When BMI dumped domestic business class I switched to Easyjet with speedy boarding and buy on board.
I would happily return to the BA product if they made a few improvements
It isn't always possible to eat before flying, and I am past eating after 8pm.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Ah yes, Air UK were quite good!

Most people aren't paying £200 o/w though - and for that price, you're getting a flexible Y ticket, which comes with lounge access, where you can eat something.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Ah yes, Air UK were quite good!

AirUK were excellent. On the LGW-GLA route there was a drinks run followed by a 3 course hot meal with wine ( including sparkling) then another tea/coffee/drinks run. Changed times indeed!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Scots_Al....
Yep, fully agree with you; IF I know I am going to have enough time to pop in the lounge then can usually grab a sandwich and a drink and the overall product is improved.... perhaps that is what BA want... Full on business ticket= lounge access with associated benefits.
Pay for a lower booking class= no lounge & no service on board...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:50 pm

Mind you, if you've a late flight out of LCY to EDI and due to work commitments are just on time, it's pretty rubbish to be offered a biscuit or some corn snack. And, of course, there is no lounge at LCY to grab a snack. In the last months I have not been able to forward plan my travel and all my flight have been around £400 return. That's pretty steep. Indeed, several weeks ago it nearly reached a staggering £500, so I took the train. £153 first class return - more food and drink i could consume and had a comfortable 'airline style' seat. Door to door I was only 30 mins more, but less tired.

I'm still loyal to BA, but the domestic route leaves a lot to be desired at times.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by PPgold
Mind you, if you've a late flight out of LCY to EDI and due to work commitments are just on time, it's pretty rubbish to be offered a biscuit or some corn snack. And, of course, there is no lounge at LCY to grab a snack. In the last months I have not been able to forward plan my travel and all my flight have been around £400 return. That's pretty steep. Indeed, several weeks ago it nearly reached a staggering £500, so I took the train. £153 first class return - more food and drink i could consume and had a comfortable 'airline style' seat. Door to door I was only 30 mins more, but less tired.

I'm still loyal to BA, but the domestic route leaves a lot to be desired at times.
I suppose it would depend on how much waste BA was seeing when they did offer a tray service on domestics outside of breakfast.

That's something that none of us are going to have figures to support one way or another tbh. But yes I have to agree that it's fairly poor to offer nothin more than a rather nice bag of crisps and a choccy biccy.

When sz were being brought under the t3 umbrella prior to them announcing that they were winding sz up, sz got brought upto the t3 catering standards for domestics, you could choose crisps, biccys, muffins and a few other bits. To be honest that wasn't a bad way of doing it

cs
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
HIDDY....I can endure many things, but over £200 single EDI-LHR for no catering is a poor deal.....
You might be paying £200 but not many others are hence the cut backs in catering over the last few years. I think the catering is at a realistic level on domestic routes and I don't ever see it being improved upon unless forced to by the competition......which lets face it will never happen.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I also agree it is pretty poor they don't supply a meal. I'm allergic to mushrooms so can't touch brekki anyway but it would be nice of them to give you at least a ham sandwich and a breakaway.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:02 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You might be paying £200 but not many others are hence the cut backs in catering over the last few years. I think the catering is at a realistic level on domestic routes and I don't ever see it being improved upon unless forced to by the competition......which lets face it will never happen.
Perhaps BA could learn from airlines like AC, where full fare pax (what AC calls Latitude fares) get a notation on their BP that they are entitled to a complementary onboard meal. In this way BA could then ensure it looks after full fare pax while ignoring the cheap-as-chips pax.

Or even do the simpler thing of having a separate Business UK / Full fare Y cabin at the front of the plane with proper catering.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Or even do the simpler thing of having a separate Business UK / Full fare Y cabin at the front of the plane with proper catering.
Have you seen BD's attempt at this?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:16 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Have you seen BD's attempt at this?
Yes! And despite the shambles that is generally BD, the option of a complimentary hot wrap is vastly preferable to sweet/savoury nibble or nothing!

Flexible Economy - available on flights to and from London Heathrow

With our Flexible Economy product you will now receive a hot breakfast Monty's Wrap before 10am, with an individually wrapped signature cake slice between 10am and 12pm.

Hot Monty's Wraps will be served again between 12pm and 1.30pm, with cake slices from 1.30pm to 5pm and hot Monty's Wraps from 5pm. Complimentary drinks and snacks will be available throughout the day.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you can't survive such a short time without eating may I suggest you carry a jeely piece in your bag.
Provided, of course, an officious security screener doesn't deem it to have too high a liquid content...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:28 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by lcyguy
AirUK were excellent. On the LGW-GLA route there was a drinks run followed by a 3 course hot meal with wine ( including sparkling) then another tea/coffee/drinks run. Changed times indeed!
I do wonder if our memories are good at romanticising the past. While they did a hot brekkie, the evening meal was always cold on Air UK, and on a 6 abreast 146.

I do think BA's service was superior, at the time, the dinner was always hot and a chocolate in addition to a dessert was given. There was also a menu, although there was no choice and it appeared on the tray.

But Air UK's Sterling Service, BD's Diamond service and BA's SuperShuttle are all long gone. If it really was a deal maker, and commercially viable, someone would have come along and offered it. I never thought we would see the end of BD's GLA-LHR route. It's clear that there is not much money to be made out of these services.

But it's not all deterioration, in the same time the offfering in lounges (for those that can access them) have hugely improved. It really used to be drinks, peanuts and biscuits. In the longhaul game too, those that lament some of the service changes, obviously don't remember the comfort of Super Club...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.