Guide to BA ONBusiness

Old Dec 14, 14, 6:59 pm

You dont earn either avios or tier points for onbusiness points bookings....
Old Dec 23, 14, 10:19 am

Programs: AF Plat. Ba Gold. SPG Plat. HH Diamond. Miles and Smiles Gold. LH Sen
When I want to search for flights with onbusiness I see this:

Book your rewards
Sorry, these redemption options are not available.

Anyone else with the same problem maybe?
Old Jan 18, 15, 4:49 am

50% bonus On Business points (is this targeted?) However when I try to register I get this Sorry

Unfortunately our systems are not responding, so we are unable to process your request at the moment.

We apologise for this inconvenience and suggest you try again later.

Home

Last edited by shayele; Jan 18, 15 at 5:01 am
Old Jan 18, 15, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by shayele View Post
50% bonus On Business points (is this targeted?) However when I try to register I get this Sorry

Unfortunately our systems are not responding, so we are unable to process your request at the moment.

We apologise for this inconvenience and suggest you try again later.

Home
Hi yeah its an error affecting a number of accounts.if you call up onbusiness it can be added for you by the onbizteam manually.

All opinions are my own and dont represent ba or iag.
Old Jan 18, 15, 6:00 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
I'm getting the same error and when I log into the OB home page to try and register manually the "current offer" is a business to first promotion that expired in July 2014.

On Business is BAEC's very poor relative. It seems like there is the absolute minimum investment in the program.

The pricing setup is also crazy. I can buy a DUB-MIA rtn in F (A) for about 3k (changeable for 300 + fare diff) or I can use OB points to upgrade and pay 5.6k in addition to the OB points (same change fee)
Old Jan 18, 15, 6:18 am

They seem to be having problems. can't register either.

Also trying to book a LHR-DUB one way flight and it keeps saying route not available for rewards, please start from a different airport. what am i doing wrong?
Old Jan 18, 15, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH Senator; HHGold; Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer View Post
I'm getting the same error and when I log into the OB home page to try and register manually the "current offer" is a business to first promotion that expired in July 2014.

On Business is BAEC's very poor relative. It seems like there is the absolute minimum investment in the program.

The pricing setup is also crazy. I can buy a DUB-MIA rtn in F (A) for about €3k (changeable for €300 + fare diff) or I can use OB points to upgrade and pay 5.6k in addition to the OB points (same change fee)
Slightly unfair. An abormally cheap sale fare ex-eu will not make a good comparison. I paid 500 for a MIA F redemption.

It's very good for point to point redemptions in long-haul J&f where avios redemptions are long gone.

It's OK for short haul redemptions where avios has long gone, but more expensive in charges than avios

It's less good for upgrades. Availability is ok but only works on certain base fares (the pricier ones). And the points needed are disproportionate to a full redemption
Old Jan 18, 15, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ukgooner View Post
It's OK for short haul redemptions where avios has long gone, but more expensive in charges than avios
Now that YQ has been removed from s/h that last bit isn't a hard and fast rule.

For instance: ARN-LHR, tomorrow, ET, with OB points:

Old Jan 18, 15, 9:41 am

******** dont know if people missed my other post but if the email link doesnt work then call up the onbiz number and the offer can be added manually by the on biz team.

******** all opinions are my own and dont represent ba or iag************
Old Jan 18, 15, 10:07 am

Slightly unfair. An abormally cheap sale fare ex-eu will not make a good comparison. I paid 500 for a MIA F redemption.

It's very good for point to point redemptions in long-haul J&f where avios redemptions are long gone.

It's less good for upgrades. Availability is ok but only works on certain base fares (the pricier ones). And the points needed are disproportionate to a full redemption
Your points are valid in relation to a redemption booking but I think my comparison is valid for the upgrade scenario I outlined.

Even if I skip the sale fare and look for the next available cash first class ticket from DUB-MIA then is about 3,800. Still significantly cheaper than On Business which in addition to the points is quoting 5.6k or 7.3k at today's exchange rates. I think the upgrade pricing is unworkable other than for those who get stuck with a last minute sky-high C/D booking in CW.
Old Jan 18, 15, 10:37 am

Your points are valid in relation to a redemption booking but I think my comparison is valid for the upgrade scenario I outlined.

Even if I skip the sale fare and look for the next available cash first class ticket from DUB-MIA then is about 3,800. Still significantly cheaper than On Business which in addition to the points is quoting 5.6k or 7.3k at today's exchange rates. I think the upgrade pricing is unworkable other than for those who get stuck with a last minute sky-high C/D booking in CW.
I think your being a bit dogmatic to continue to maintain the scheme is poor because of that one anomaly. I used to use them to upgrade Wt+, way after it was possible with Avios. It was massively cheaper than paying J.

It might not work for you if you only need upgrades to F from ex Dublin. Can't you save them up for a full redemption? Or wait till it becomes better value. You might find phoning the OB team and seeing there are other options too. Might just be an Internet booking flaw.

My main criticism of the scheme is that the points only last 3 years. That's pretty much it.
Old Jan 18, 15, 11:19 am

I think your being a bit dogmatic to continue to maintain the scheme is poor because of that one anomaly. I used to use them to upgrade Wt+, way after it was possible with Avios. It was massively cheaper than paying J.

It might not work for you if you only need upgrades to F from ex Dublin. Can't you save them up for a full redemption? Or wait till it becomes better value. You might find phoning the OB team and seeing there are other options too. Might just be an Internet booking flaw.

My main criticism of the scheme is that the points only last 3 years. That's pretty much it.
Each to their own I guess.

The three year expiry wouldn't bother me at all really. That seems like a fair window of opportunity given that availability is better than BAEC.

I do think that if it cost Avios plus twice as much cash to process an upgrade for BAEC then I don't think those pointing out the anomaly would be considered "dogmatic". The scheme should provide some at least minimal saving in all scenarios and shouldn't be a 100% premium to use the advertised upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 15, 11:34 am

I used to use them to upgrade Wt+, way after it was possible with Avios. It was massively cheaper than paying J.
There are plenty of examples where buying an ex-UK WT+ fare in W or E (OB doesn't allow upgrades from T) would cost more than an ex-EU I fare.

"Massively cheaper", if someone else is paying the base WT+ fare I suppose
Old Jan 18, 15, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
There are plenty of examples where buying an ex-UK WT+ fare in W or E (OB doesn't allow upgrades from T) would cost more than an ex-EU I fare.

"Massively cheaper", if someone else is paying the base WT+ fare I suppose
Well obviously! We all know how good value ex eu fares are in J. It's the same point as above regarding ex Dublin fares. You aren't comparing like for like.

I have the time at the moment to capitalise on ex eu, and this year I will be going to Dublin more than ever. To the extent I'm barely using avios or on business points.

However back in the real world, on business was designed for businesses booking relatively last minute flights, in common with typical business practice. It wasn't designed for people nipping over to Ireland to come back to London to start a journey to new York - don't you understand that the majority of people find this behaviour a bit nuts? Even when you explain the savings?

I actually thought OB was for UK registered businesses. So I'm not surprised it's not streamlined for people in Dublin.
Old Jan 18, 15, 2:40 pm

Each to their own I guess.

The three year expiry wouldn't bother me at all really. That seems like a fair window of opportunity given that availability is better than BAEC.

I do think that if it cost Avios plus twice as much cash to process an upgrade for BAEC then I don't think those pointing out the anomaly would be considered "dogmatic". The scheme should provide some at least minimal saving in all scenarios and shouldn't be a 100% premium to use the advertised upgrade.
My point about dogmatic was not you pointing out the problem- fair play - but suggesting the whole scheme is rubbish because of this one minor flaw that impacts on ex eu fares. There's a lot more benefit to it than that.

Search this Thread