Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can you Book a BA holiday and then not use hotel

Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum BA Silver Hilton Platinum Avis Preferred BA AMEX Platinum

I've noticed if you book a BA holiday with no Saturday night you can often get a way cheaper fare (like Las Vegas Monday-Friday in October for £1500 in premium economy out of LHR) compared to £2,300 for the flights alone.

Do you have to use the hotel and if you don't can BA work that out and change the cost later?

Not sure of rules.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Haburiboy
I've noticed if you book a BA holiday with no Saturday night you can often get a way cheaper fare (like Las Vegas Monday-Friday in October for £1500 in premium economy out of LHR) compared to £2,300 for the flights alone.

Do you have to use the hotel and if you don't can BA work that out and change the cost later?

Not sure of rules.

Thanks for any advice.
Not sure of the exact rules either, so to be on the safe side, why not check in, walk away then check out at as normal on the last day?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum BA Silver Hilton Platinum Avis Preferred BA AMEX Platinum
I did think about that but the cheapest hotel was miles from the airport in Las Vegas and I am staying at the Pallazio - or whatever it is called... so was trying to avoid that... I've noticed it works for loads of routes where the fare without Saturday night can be ridiculous...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:24 am

No you can't I only book through BA holidays so know from experience. The hotel will register you as a no show and BA will cancel the PNR and remember if its to the USA BAs site will ask you the address you will be staying in which must match you ESTA application address.

I think BAs system can highlight inconsistencies when they send it over to the US authorities for your advanced passenger information.

Edit:

BA holiday terms and conditions:

4. For all longhaul bookings, travel must include a Saturday night stay. Maximum length of stay is 355 days from the date of booking.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C-130
remember if its to the USA BAs site will ask you the address you will be staying in which must match you ESTA application address.
The OP's proposal does sound risky and I guess there is the chance of the return flight being cancelled if it was bought as a package?

However, you don't have to supply your address on the ESTA "Enter the number and street of the location where you will stay while in the United States. Do not include the city and state in this field. Address Line 1 is optional to complete the application.If multiple locations are planned, enter the first address.

If the complete address is not known, enter the name of the hotel or location you will visit. You may update this information once confirmed
"
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
.... if its to the USA BAs site will ask you the address you will be staying in which must match you ESTA application address.

I think BAs system can highlight inconsistencies when they send it over to the US authorities for your advanced passenger information.
I don't think this part is true at all. As ESTA applications are vaild for two years and you are under no obligation to update your location / address once approved there is no cross check by BAs in the USA.

I highly doubt 'BAs system' have any access to ESTA information submitted direct by travellers to the US Goverment either. I imagine they just submit the advanced passenger information with the hotel address booked as part of the package holiday.

Edit - like what LondonAndy beat me to saying!

Last edited by Blenz101; Sep 19, 2011 at 11:44 am Reason: LondonAndy
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know about BA, but have done it with AA. A quick call to the hotel to let them know what was going on ("staying with a friend instead of checking in") was all that was required; hotel is happy to keep the revenue and have an extra room to sell.

Either way, if you check-in in person remember that you can always check out by phone.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
is there a closer hotel w/ not much more cost so you can check in & out & not use it?

what is the taxi cost for 2 trips....good luck...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blenz101
I highly doubt 'BAs system' have any access to ESTA information submitted direct by travellers to the US Goverment either. I imagine they just submit the advanced passenger information with the hotel address booked as part of the package holiday.
Having read the APIS rules, that is correct; it's a one way feed (the government doesn't feed anything to the airlines; imagine the security risks and privacy implications of doing so!)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by hillrider
Having read the APIS rules, that is correct; it's a one way feed (the government doesn't feed anything to the airlines; imagine the security risks and privacy implications of doing so!)
I meant it for the advanced passenger information BA must supply to the TSA. IS the purpose of that not for the TSA to highlight any discrepancies? And if their is BA have the potential to be fined?

I could be entirely wrong of course.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I have done this with an Expedia flight and hotel package with no problems.

But, as its Vegas, the hotel can't be far from your other one so why not check in and nick the toiletries?!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Raffles

But, as its Vegas, the hotel can't be far from your other one so why not check in and nick the toiletries?!
Actually, Vegas hotels can be ten miles or more apart. Not every hotel with a "Las Vegas" postal address is on the strip or downtown.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Raffles

I have done this before with Expedia as well - it works very well, not only if you don't have a saturday night stay:

You can circumvent the advance booking requirement on some domestic US routes by using expedia to add a random hotel night to the mix.

If you are booking last minute, the lower fare classes will never be bookable directly from the airline; but if you use expedia and book at least one hotel night (select the box which says "I need a hotel only for part of this trip") then they can sell you a package which will include the restricted fare class.

In the example of domestic AA, it will book in Q class - which is the same if you would make a booking through AA vacations.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
I meant it for the advanced passenger information BA must supply to the TSA. IS the purpose of that not for the TSA to highlight any discrepancies? And if their is BA have the potential to be fined?

I could be entirely wrong of course.
I think it is safe to assume you are wrong and let the thread remain on topic.

TSA will only be interested in the information from a security perspective, and is not connected to immigration.

'Government' will not catch you out on this loophole but if the hotel supplies lists to the travel agent with 'no shows' this may result in the airline being made aware (and the potential to cancel the ticket) seems to be the consensus.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have done this a few times, either booking a hotel for one night, or a car and then not using. Never had any comeback.

That said, I have also booked and used the hotel/car as BA happened to come out with the best deal I could find!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.