Wiki Posts
Search

T5 queues at the border / IRIS replacement

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
T5 queues at the border / IRIS replacement

Have these gotten longer? I am a US citizen/UK resident signed up for Iris, but I often have to wait with a travel compaion who isn't British or Iris-registered. Last night we waited over an hour. Also, does anyone have any new info on when Iris will go away? And what is happening with its supposed replacement -- the equipment is installed but nothing more seems to be happening??
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The queues at T5 have been bad for several months now. I gather some form of work to rule by UKBA is causing this. Of course that doesn't excuse:

* Closing IRIS down in the near future
* Having the e-gates operational only at certain times
* Immigration 'workers' standing around having a lovely chat while passengers queue

Which shouts poor management throughout the organisation. Frankly it is a shambles and the one bit of T5 that really doesn't work well at all. I suspect BA's ability to influence this is very limited which is shame. Several recent trips on BA have been really very good, only for the feelgood factor to vanish when confronted with an enormous queue out of the immigration hall.

Another experience like this and I shall be writing a letter enclosing some photos of the shameful performance.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:08 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The queues at T5 have been bad for several months now. I gather some form of work to rule by UKBA is causing this. Of course that doesn't excuse:

* Closing IRIS down in the near future
* Having the e-gates operational only at certain times
* Immigration 'workers' standing around having a lovely chat while passengers queue

Which shouts poor management throughout the organisation. Frankly it is a shambles and the one bit of T5 that really doesn't work well at all. I suspect BA's ability to influence this is very limited which is shame. Several recent trips on BA have been really very good, only for the feelgood factor to vanish when confronted with an enormous queue out of the immigration hall.

Another experience like this and I shall be writing a letter enclosing some photos of the shameful performance.
The last 5 or 6 times I have been through T5 arrivals, the e-gates have only been operational when the terminal is quiet. They are non operational when it is busy in my personal experience, which rather defeats the object
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Is there a fast-track for F arrivals into T5 border?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:20 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by McCoy
Is there a fast-track for F arrivals into T5 border?

For non EU residents yes but only at certain times - 0630 - 1400 if I remember correctly - probably don't!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:13 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Bearing in mind that BA 38 from PEK arrives at 1500 as well.

It was heaving beyond belief last Thursday afternoon. One Iris machine open though.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Must admit I got quite a surprise when I saw how large the non EU queue was last week.This was a couple of days after having to stand in an hour long queue at horrible GRU and saying to my wife "you wouldn't see this nonsense at LHR".
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just occasionally there is a benefit to having to take a domestic connection - there was not a soul in front of me at the border for connections on Thursday last.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Just occasionally there is a benefit to having to take a domestic connection - there was not a soul in front of me at the border for connections on Thursday last.
My last INT-domestic connection in T5 was so busy, I was thinking of clearing border, and then coming back in through security next time.

I think we need an FAQ for the different options and advice for different connection/security combinations!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Which shouts poor management throughout the organisation. Frankly it is a shambles and the one bit of T5 that really doesn't work well
I flew SAS into T3 three weeks ago from Stockholm. I couldn't use IRIS as I was with my 7 year old son. Queue for immigration was 95 min. Only had 2 worse experiences in terms of wait in my life. One was T3 returning from Marrakesh at new years (2.5hrs) and one on arrival at ORD (2 hrs)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
The last 5 or 6 times I have been through T5 arrivals, the e-gates have only been operational when the terminal is quiet. They are non operational when it is busy in my personal experience, which rather defeats the object
The last three times I've been through, in the last several weeks :

1. Walked right over to e-gates, not operational.

2. Queue marshal on the regular EU queue looking at everyone's passport and sneeringly telling those with the little e-symbol on the front not to waste his time having to point out they could go over and use the e-gates.

3. Walked right over to e-gates, not operational.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:38 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
There have been massive cutbacks at the Home Office -- if my memory serves me, it's something like 600 immigration staff -- so the idea that they are working to rule does sort of hold water, one might imagine.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone have any details on the paid replacement for Iris -- Silverwing or something?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by vla
There have been massive cutbacks at the Home Office -- if my memory serves me, it's something like 600 immigration staff -- so the idea that they are working to rule does sort of hold water, one might imagine.
Isn't some part of the fees charged in with your ticket supposed to be for the provision of border staff ? And wasn't this fee increased not so long ago ? So why might the staff be reduced without reducing the fee ?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by buddman
I flew SAS into T3 three weeks ago from Stockholm. I couldn't use IRIS as I was with my 7 year old son. Queue for immigration was 95 min. Only had 2 worse experiences in terms of wait in my life. One was T3 returning from Marrakesh at new years (2.5hrs) and one on arrival at ORD (2 hrs)
It's a hell of a way to welcome foreign visitors and tourists to our country At a time when we could do with every penny of the income they spend with us. I know proper checks must be done but keeping people waiting this length of time doesn't improve those checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.