Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios: The BA Executive Club + Airmiles + Iberia Plus 'Avios' Joint Forum?

View Poll Results: Discussion relating to the Avios programme (formerly known as AirMiles)
Can be accommodated in the BA Executive Club forum
24.00%
Would be better served in its own dedicated forum in Other Loyalty Programs/Partners
12.00%
It is too early to say. The full extent of the changes have not been communicated and understood
64.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 13, 11, 9:14 am
Original Poster

We all know the news. For better or worse, The BA Executive Club, Airmiles and Iberia Plus are converging. They have different markets and there will remain subtle differences between them, for now at least, but for most intents and purposes they will be identical from 16th November 2011, regardless of your loyalty.

It will take all the expertise of a joint forum to differentiate them and pick their various advantages and disadvantages apart. Especially so as they will share a single currency which can be transferred between the three schemes readily and without charge. There will undoubtably be offers and promotions occurring in one which will be of interest to members of all.

Please, please may we have a new Avios forum?
Old Sep 13, 11, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi

We've discussed this at a high level as a Mod team. As the frequent flyer programmes will remain distinct - and indeed the airlines - there is logic in retaining seperate fora to enable discussion. We expect that offers, promotions etc will remain aligned at an FFP level rather than currency (think Amex 241, Gold Upgrade Vouchers). Avios is only a common currency, not a common programme.

It is also worth point out that creating new or merging forums is under the remit of Talkboard. Recommendations to Talkboard can be made by anyone.

Swanhunter
Moderator, BAEC
Old Sep 13, 11, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PS. You do make a good point about capturing knowledge and sharing it where there are similar points. Something to ponder on.
Old Sep 13, 11, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'd say it is worth waiting for the full details of the new programme before making any decision.
In the past all discussion on Airmiles has been contained within a couple of threads without any problem. I'm not convinced that once the change complete there is going to be a dramatic increase in discussion from former-Airmiles members.
Old Sep 13, 11, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am an Airmiles holder. These will become Avios. My 4,500 will become 45000 Avios. However as far as I am aware these will still stay with Airmiles. I will continue to earn Airmiles whilst shopping online & hopefully keep the Lloyds card.

We havent been told all the information about Airmiles Avios yet. Whilst some may suggest that this will merge with BA Miles, I dont see any reason in the short term to close the account. There may be benefits to hold and redeem on both the accounts.

In my opinion its still too early to say how the two schemes will be run or indeed panic about what may happen. If we believe all the rumours we wouldnt sleep at night.
Old Sep 13, 11, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it was about 12 years ago BA split the schemes and made BA mile and Airmiles. Lets see what they are wanting to do with the schemes now before we worry too much.
Old Sep 13, 11, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by britbronco22 View Post
I'd say it is worth waiting for the full details of the new programme before making any decision.
In the past all discussion on Airmiles has been contained within a couple of threads without any problem. I'm not convinced that once the change complete there is going to be a dramatic increase in discussion from former-Airmiles members.
^ Until we know something definite, is there any point?

I'm sure the Mods will grasp this one firmly once there's some definite information, otherwise for now it's just another rumour thread ... isn't it?
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
^ Until we know something definite, is there any point?

I'm sure the Mods will grasp this one firmly once there's some definite information, otherwise for now it's just another rumour thread ... isn't it?
No. The information is clear.

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/details
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Don't worry, there are many here who are in denial. They will adjust in time.

Multi-legs to Spain and Moscow Club look good value to me. Perhaps another discussion.

T.
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

timmillea,

Thanks for your expression of interest. Moderators have little influence in the decision making relating to the creation new forums. The impetus comes from the membership and proposals for new forums are considered carefully by TalkBoard.

There does happen to be a section in FT ripe for a new dedicated Avios forum - Other Loyalty Programs/Partners. This section is home to Amtrak Guest Rewards, iDine/Rewards Network, and Gaming Loyalty Programs.

In the first instance, I would invite you to visit the TalkBoard Topics forum and set out your case for a new Avios forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/

There is a template which will help you lay out your arguments - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11201697-post2.html

Good luck! and I will certainly pop in and lend my personal support.
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

I'd be happy to set up a straw poll and attach it to this thread. It will allow us to get a measure of support.

Before I set this up, here are the poll categories I have in mind. Please feel free to add your comments/suggestions during the course of this evening. I will launch the poll tomorrow morning and run it for 7 days.

Question:
My preference relating to discussion of the Avios programme (formerly known as AirMiles) should be:

• sufficiently addressed within a single master thread located within the BA Executive Club forum
or
  • given its own dedicated forum in the Other Loyalty Programs/Partners section of FT.
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
Hi

We've discussed this at a high level as a Mod team. As the frequent flyer programmes will remain distinct - and indeed the airlines - there is logic in retaining seperate fora to enable discussion.
Not to mention the cultural differences
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Maybe the Flying Blue solution?
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timmillea View Post
Don't worry, there are many here who are in denial. They will adjust in time.
I have already been through one change. Okay when I was slim and good looking. But one part of me thinks it needs it own section. In faact it should have always had its own section. This is how BA Miles started life.

However with the info we already have some parts do look like BA miles. So some could say that they are merging the schemes.

But I dont think they want to do that. They just want customers one currency like the Euro.
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Disco Volante View Post
Not to mention the cultural differences
Shh, please dont say that. I was looking forward to posting at lunch time then having an afternoon sleep!
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
Maybe the Flying Blue solution?
But Flying Blue is one single FFP for several airlines. BA EC, Airmiles, and IB Plus remain, at this stage, entirely different programmes.

I think Prospero's suggestion of a poll is a good one. I have no personal preference on the wording but pretty much know I'll vote for the 'BAEC forum is enough' solution at this stage. Of course, it would be a good idea to have cross references to each other's relevant Avios threads and I fully trust the mods from the respective fora to liaise whenever they feel it's needed.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: