Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios: The BA Executive Club + Airmiles + Iberia Plus 'Avios' Joint Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Discussion relating to the Avios programme (formerly known as AirMiles)
Can be accommodated in the BA Executive Club forum
24.00%
Would be better served in its own dedicated forum in Other Loyalty Programs/Partners
12.00%
It is too early to say. The full extent of the changes have not been communicated and understood
64.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Avios: The BA Executive Club + Airmiles + Iberia Plus 'Avios' Joint Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Maybe the Flying Blue solution?
As the member who pitched the concept of an Iberia Plus forum to TalkTeam, I have given a good deal of consideration to the options.

Consider the Flying Blue forum structure: Two established forums (and communities) were consolidated into a single forum shortly after the merger of KLM and Air France. The primary forum in its current guise addresses common FB issues and themes; the KL and AF child forums address the product/service/community aspects of both airlines separately.

I don't believe this format would work at all well for BA and IB. Firstly, the airlines and FFPs are distinctly separate. Secondly, and possibility more critically, the IB forum is new. It is the only English speaking forum dedicated to Iberia and Iberia Plus and I believe should be given the space and opportunity to flourish. Bundle Iberia Plus in with us lot and it will die a premature death, suffocating instantly under the weight of BA and BAEC related discussion.

Sure, with IAG ownership the BAEC and IB+ have adopted a common currency but the link ends there. Singapore Airlines has a substantial shareholding in Virgin Atlantic but there are no calls to combine those forums. Similarly, BMI is owned by Lufthansa but the BMI forum remains distinct. As it should, as this format reflects the communities/cultures of each airline and its FFP. So there is a degree of consistency with the current forum structure.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Prospero, I understand your points. I do expect the programmes to become more and more integrated with similar tricks, tips and problems but I may be wrong. I know the programmes will remain separate but that of course could be in name and membership only.

Wait and see may indeed be the best approach as suggested earlier.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I do expect the programmes to become more and more integrated with similar tricks, tips and problems but I may be wrong. I know the programmes will remain separate but that of course could be in name and membership only.

Wait and see may indeed be the best approach as suggested earlier.
The airmiles Avios is as far as I am aware really just open to UK citizens. Where as BA Mile is of course used by most countries in the World. We may well see some changes to the two schemes that for the purpose of reward flights make them different.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honours
Originally Posted by origin
The airmiles Avios is as far as I am aware really just open to UK citizens. Where as BA Mile is of course used by most countries in the World. We may well see some changes to the two schemes that for the purpose of reward flights make them different.
The long term aim will be to continue devaluing Airmiles (the business) to the point where they can flog it or close it down.

Hence this x10 your miles offer for switching to BAEC.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timmillea
No. The information is clear.

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/details
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Don't worry, there are many here who are in denial. They will adjust in time.

Multi-legs to Spain and Moscow Club look good value to me. Perhaps another discussion.

T.
So, it is clear that there will be GUF2s under the Iberia plus scheme? It is clear that elite levels will be aligned in Iberia Plus and in BA? It is clear that it will be possible to upgrade to the higher class in the IB programme with 1x miles? etc..., etc...

Do you really believe that the limited information that we have now makes it crystal clear that there will be only one scheme for all intents and purposes?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:49 pm

No. The information is clear.

http://www.airmiles.co.uk/avios/details
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

Don't worry, there are many here who are in denial. They will adjust in time.

Multi-legs to Spain and Moscow Club look good value to me. Perhaps another discussion.

T.
For someone who actually knows whats going on with Exec Club...your talking utter nonsense.

A single currency is being developed for a global market. Thats it. Not a single programme. A single currency. There's alignment by bringing Iberia's partners into the BAEC mix and vice versa so it makes the IAG schemes look more attractive as both BA and Iberia's hotel and other product partners are combined.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtomlinson
The long term aim will be to continue devaluing Airmiles (the business) to the point where they can flog it or close it down.

Hence this x10 your miles offer for switching to BAEC.
Why would they change the name to something that the other schemes would use then flog it off. Would it not be better for them to keep the Airmiles name and that rate then just sell it.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:05 pm

Why would they change the name to something that the other schemes would use then flog it off. Would it not be better for them to keep the Airmiles name and that rate then just sell it.
They've still got Airmiles name. There's little difference between the 2 programmes now. They could always sell Airmiles and the 'old' customer base (who aren't direct spenders with IAG, since Airmiles doesn't make a huge amount) to a potential buyer but asset strip it with this x10 offer.

The stickler for any sale of Airmiles has always been the valuation of the miles. I can see a situation at some point where Avios disappears and people are given the choice to leave or go into the respective FFP
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtomlinson
They've still got Airmiles name. There's little difference between the 2 programmes now. They could always sell Airmiles and the 'old' customer base (who aren't direct spenders with IAG, since Airmiles doesn't make a huge amount) to a potential buyer but asset strip it with this x10 offer.

The stickler for any sale of Airmiles has always been the valuation of the miles. I can see a situation at some point where Avios disappears and people are given the choice to leave or go into the respective FFP
They did that 12 years ago. Either BA miles or Airmiles. Isnt the Airmiles name owned by the Netherlands Airmiles company.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
I'd be happy to set up a straw poll and attach it to this thread. It will allow us to get a measure of support.

Before I set this up, here are the poll categories I have in mind. Please feel free to add your comments/suggestions during the course of this evening. I will launch the poll tomorrow morning and run it for 7 days.

Question:
My preference relating to discussion of the Avios programme (formerly known as AirMiles) should be:

• sufficiently addressed within a single master thread located within the BA Executive Club forum
or
  • given its own dedicated forum in the Other Loyalty Programs/Partners section of FT.
Thanks for the kind offer of a poll and apologies for not getting back to you last night.

From the details released so far, it is clear that the three schemes will remain separate. However, it is not just their currency that is unifying, it is their zone borders, fees, means of redeeming and upgrades, point-to-point redemptions, etc. and the fact that Avios can be moved between all three schemes to exploit any minor differences.

Therefore, I was not suggesting a new forum for the Avios (former Airmiles) scheme, but rather a parent forum for all three schemes that deals with all common issues, with sub forums for BAEC, Avios Scheme, and Iberia Plus which deal with the particular issues not common to all three.

I can't imagine such a proposal will go down well with BAEC FTers. But then, a restructuring of the forums would just be a logical refection of what is a major and potentially unpopular-for-many upheaval as all three schemes are shotgun-married together.

I will look at the Talk board links, thanks.

Question: As the new BAEC, Iberia Plus and Avios schemes will have much in common, should there be one parent forum for the common issues and child forums for each of the separate schemes?
Answer:
a) Yes
b) No
c) Undecided/Wait and see

Last edited by timmillea; Sep 14, 2011 at 2:38 am Reason: added question
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Isnt the Airmiles name owned by the Netherlands Airmiles company.
Yes: the "Air Miles" name is just licensed from that company; the totally unrelated Canadian "Air Miles" scheme likewise.

Once the (UK) Air Miles scheme name has been officially changed to "Avios", I imagine BA won't have much interest in keeping the use of the name for much longer.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
I'd be happy to set up a straw poll and attach it to this thread. It will allow us to get a measure of support.

Before I set this up, here are the poll categories I have in mind. Please feel free to add your comments/suggestions during the course of this evening. I will launch the poll tomorrow morning and run it for 7 days.

Question:
My preference relating to discussion of the Avios programme (formerly known as AirMiles) should be:

• sufficiently addressed within a single master thread located within the BA Executive Club forum
or
  • given its own dedicated forum in the Other Loyalty Programs/Partners section of FT.
I suggest adding a third solution:

• deferred for discussion in a 4-6 months, once the full extent of the changes have been communicated and understood
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I suggest adding a third solution:

• deferred for discussion in a 4-6 months, once the full extent of the changes have been communicated and understood
December time will be the best time for any possible changes. Some on here follow the changes more than others! I mean that in a polite way.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes: the "Air Miles" name is just licensed from that company; the totally unrelated Canadian "Air Miles" scheme likewise.

Once the (UK) Air Miles scheme name has been officially changed to "Avios", I imagine BA won't have much interest in keeping the use of the name for much longer.
It will be interesting to see how if they demerge them what they do. Or just stick to the Avios like Tesco clubcard points.

At least the CFo is happy not paying any more fees for using a name!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Therefore, I was not suggesting a new forum for the Avios (former Airmiles) scheme, but rather a parent forum for all three schemes that deals with all common issues, with sub forums for BAEC, Avios Scheme, and Iberia Plus which deal with the particular issues not common to all three.
Whilst I can see where you are coming from in a few peoples eyes this is a shotgun wedding.

However BA EC is also going to have tier points, seating etc.

At this moment in time I am finding the idea of a parent scheme confusing and seeing it much harder for the Mods and the users of the scheme.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.