Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate A10

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What about a 308 Mickey? Mine serves me well, low tax and insurance and not bad MPG.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikey2124
I definitely have to have a car! I can't wait to drive, even though it is a while away yet! Insurance is quite pricey here but it isn't as bad as it is in the UK. Found that I can get a newer 1.2 model with a sportier trim (including half leather seats, privacy glass etc) for the same price as an older 1.4 with a more basic trim!
You need a car. I had a corsa once. how old car are you looking at.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by origin
You need a car. I had a corsa once. how old car are you looking at.
The model we are looking at is mid 2008- on a 58 plate. Very good spec, great looking too! I saw a 2007 Clio that I quite liked too, but I probably prefer the Corsa!

Corsa's and Clio's are good value second hand- the Fiesta's are ridiculously overpriced. The newer shape models are over Ł8,000?!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The model we are looking at is mid 2008- on a 58 plate. Very good spec, great looking too! I saw a 2007 Clio that I quite liked too, but I probably prefer the Corsa!

Corsa's and Clio's are good value second hand- the Fiesta's are ridiculously overpriced. The newer shape models are over Ł8,000?!
Thats not too bad. I think a newer one would be more expensive on insurance. I had a corsa about 12 years ago. My sister killed it. Clios are good as well. I found the corsa I had the worst car I have ever driven, but I think they are better now.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ardboe
What about a 308 Mickey? Mine serves me well, low tax and insurance and not bad MPG.
I think the 308 would be too big for the small streets of a little island. Also the insurance might be cheap for someone older, when you learn to drive they charge a serious / stupid amount.

I have heard one case when someone was paying 3k insurance on a new car.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:45 pm

Thats not too bad. I think a newer one would be more expensive on insurance. I had a corsa about 12 years ago. My sister killed it. Clios are good as well. I found the corsa I had the worst car I have ever driven, but I think they are better now.
My Dad has recently driven one and really liked it! The Clio's are probably better value for money, but the Corsa has cheaper insurance.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Dad has recently driven one and really liked it! The Clio's are probably better value for money, but the Corsa has cheaper insurance.
If its cheaper insurance than thats they way you need to go. I think they are better than they were 10+ years ago.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:48 pm

Prob a little big is right orgin, but for someone who isnt driving long either my insurance wasnt too bad and im from NI, they usually rip you off more over here.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prob a little big is right orgin, but for someone who isnt driving long either my insurance wasnt too bad and im from NI, they usually rip you off more over here.
You are lucky. My insurance for my personal car is Ł450. It keeps going up, I keep on getting older.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:50 pm
Ambassador

the Airport is a 20 minute drive by car
Other side of the island is it?

My first car was/is a Fiesta. They are more expensive but we found a really good condition one with almost no mileage. It was a private sale where the seller no longer needed it because he was at uni so the car just sat on his parents' drive. Now it does the same with me.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:51 pm

You are lucky. My insurance for my personal car is Ł450. It keeps going up, I keep on getting older.
Well I could be speaking too soon, my renewal is due next month!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA304

My first car was/is a Fiesta. They are more expensive but we found a really good condition one with almost no mileage. It was a private sale where the seller no longer needed it because he was at uni so the car just sat on his parents' drive. Now it does the same with me.
But at least you are earning a no claims bonus.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I could be speaking too soon, my renewal is due next month!
Make sure you use the comparison websites as well. It hasnt worked for me though. My insurance company always seems to give me the best deal.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by BA304

Indeed it is!

My brother has a Fiesta- his is 2003 so a bit older but he is really happy with it.

We bought it from a newly opened dealer just under 2 years ago- it had only done 15,000 miles so we thought it would be fine but it has cost my Dad nearly Ł1,000- has broken quite a few times!

Will keep my eye out for anything popping up locally- could probably get it free on part ex with my sisters 107 which I don't want to drive... mainly as it is finished in bright blue.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Got to take the car back tomorrow with a full tank.
So you are soon on the way home. Have an enjoyable flight back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.