Chances of MMB upgrades

Old Sep 9, 11, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, UA Silver, VS Silver, Hilton Gold
Chances of MMB upgrades

Hi,
I've heard that BA sometimes offer upgrade rates via MMB. I'm looking to book a flight from Edinburgh to Europe soon (obv vis London), just wondering if anyone has a view on the likelihood of being offered an upgrade to CE for a reasonable rate. What's the chances of this being less than just booking the CE fare, and if i did buy any upgrade offered woud i still be eligible for miles/status credits (I'm qantas freq flyer).
Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 11, 12:03 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
There's no discernable pattern. Obviously loads are part of the equation but you can't tell.

If you do get offered an MMB upgrade then you will get miles/points for the cabin you flew in.
Old Sep 10, 11, 2:23 am

You will normally only be offered the cheap upgrade offer if there is I class avaliable on your flight.
Old Sep 10, 11, 3:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
IIRC it often isn't available from the regions.
Old Sep 10, 11, 3:16 am

Does anyone know when proactive upgrades are avaliable on booking for one-way flights as occasionally from past experience I don't find the cheap upgrade option avaliable till near the time of departure.
Old Sep 10, 11, 3:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hifly15 View Post
You will normally only be offered the cheap upgrade offer if there is I class avaliable on your flight.
I agree, because of the potential mix of booking classes between domestic and European travel, MMB is unlikely to offer you the option of an upgrade. You can ask at Edinburgh and/or Customer Services at Terminal 5 (in front of gate 10) and they will let you know what your optons are. T5 will be better set up for this than EDI.
Old Sep 10, 11, 4:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
This is my experience. The vast majority of my journeys originate in Manchester and I have never been offered a 'special' upgrade deal in MMB.
Old Sep 10, 11, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Do check the published CE fare at the time you book for the flights that you want. You never know, it might be sufficiently reasonable for you to pay for CE without worrying about checking MMB for upgrade offers.
Old Sep 10, 11, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
To build on this, it is never offered from the regions. I think it must be to do with the fact that there is no Business Class offered on domestic services, and the poor state of BA systems.
Old Sep 10, 11, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hifly15 View Post
Does anyone know when proactive upgrades are avaliable on booking for one-way flights as occasionally from past experience I don't find the cheap upgrade option avaliable till near the time of departure.
In my experience they are offered when all the following conditions are met:

1. There is I class availability;
2. There are no domestic legs in the booking;
3. All legs in the booking are on BA metal;
4. The ticket was booked on ba.com (not including ba holidays);
5. LHR or LGW must be the first and/or last destination in the booking (so XXX-LON is ok as is LON-XXX or LON-XXX-LON, but XXX-LON-YYY is not)
Old Sep 10, 11, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to FT ba48.
Old Sep 10, 11, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
Welcome to FT ba48.
Did they contribute to this thread?

Welcome anyway!
Old Sep 10, 11, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I booked a flight to paris the other evening and during booking - was being offered the opportunity to upgare outbound for 115 and inbound for 165......which i ignored

Went into MMB one I had completed the booking - and found an upgrade offer at 59 each way so it pays to hang on!
Old Sep 10, 11, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CarolynUK View Post
I booked a flight to paris the other evening and during booking - was being offered the opportunity to upgare outbound for 115 and inbound for 165......which i ignored

Went into MMB one I had completed the booking - and found an upgrade offer at 59 each way so it pays to hang on!
Absolutely, as long as you're booking from London and are prepared to take the risk of no offer.

It's a pity ba.com can't or won't offer upgrades for the international flight for bookings originating in the regions... presumably, as it's the regions, it's not a priority.
Old Sep 10, 11, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by travellingblade View Post
In my experience they are offered when all the following conditions are met:

1. There is I class availability;
2. There are no domestic legs in the booking;
3. All legs in the booking are on BA metal;
4. The ticket was booked on ba.com (not including ba holidays);
5. LHR or LGW must be the first and/or last destination in the booking (so XXX-LON is ok as is LON-XXX or LON-XXX-LON, but XXX-LON-YYY is not)
My oneway booking meet all the criteria above but sometimes it's just not made available to me.