BA fuel "surcharge" on a CX award booking?

Old Sep 3, 11, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

BA fuel "surcharge" on a CX award booking?

Hi Folks,

Looking to do my first award booking on BA from SFO-MNL in business on CX. When I use ba.com I do find availability (the good news), but they quote $375 in taxes and fees. If I click on the breakdown they list $322 in fuel surcharges. The "further information" says the fuel surcharge applies to all BA operated flights and is based on distance flown. This seems quite bogus since the itinerary I selected is all CX!

Is this really inline with current BA practices?
Old Sep 3, 11, 12:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

CX does levy a fuel surcharge so yes this will passed along as part of the extra fees/taxes.
Old Sep 3, 11, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

I don't think CX levies a fuel surcharge. I last booked the same itinerary used AA award miles and only had to pay < $100 in taxes.
Old Sep 3, 11, 12:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

There's a useful thread over on the CX forum that tracks CX's fuel surcharges

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...urcharges.html
Old Sep 3, 11, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mcooper7290
I don't think CX levies a fuel surcharge. I last booked the same itinerary used AA award miles and only had to pay < $100 in taxes.
CX does indeed incorporate a fuel surcharge in its fares. You can verify this by pricing a CX trip at matrix.itasoftware.com. When redeeming AA miles for a CX flight, AA does not assess the fuel surcharge; when redeeming BA miles for a CX flight, BA assesses the fuel surcharge. (I don't know whether BA just pockets the fuel surcharge, or shares it with CX.)
Old Sep 4, 11, 1:09 pm

i just made a booking sfo-hkg-sin and back in F and fees were $437 a person!
BA site shows sfo-hkg as $335. I'm guessing adding hkg-sin segment added 100 to it?

Seems like of high for the redemption.
Old Sep 4, 11, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
Originally Posted by hqly2001 View Post
i just made a booking sfo-hkg-sin and back in F and fees were $437 a person!
BA site shows sfo-hkg as $335. I'm guessing adding hkg-sin segment added 100 to it?

Seems like of high for the redemption.
you find 437 dollars too much to pay for a flight in F from sfo to sin? that's probably less than you pay in Y from sfo to jfk. yes, other airlines do not charge you these fees but they get the money in other ways from you or they save it in other ways. i.e. the AA Business class is a laugh compared with CX or BA and their lounges do not have the free food and drinks...
Old Sep 4, 11, 2:19 pm

I'm on CX in J in Dec using BA miles. SFO-BKK was $430 total. Same trip using AA miles in F was <$50 6 months ago. wj
Old Sep 4, 11, 2:36 pm
Community Director

For those who have both AA and BA miles, it is cheaper to book the route with AA miles. There is no fuel surcharge when using AA miles. I was charged $7.50 plus 67.5K AA miles for SAN-LAX-SFO-HKG-CMB in F to HKG, then C onward. This was a one way ticket. I booked it in the last month.

However, BA permits stopovers free of charge and AA does not.
Old Sep 4, 11, 3:52 pm

Fees for CX redmeption using BA miles

I was expecting more like 2-300 as previous folks have posted. But given that AA redemption is next to nil in fees, BA does charge a lot regardless of cabin.

I'd planned on using AA miles until the rumors of devaulation came up so I figured that I should just go ahead and redeem my BA miles for 150k in F.

But it looks like the fees have increased from 2-300 from 6-12 months ago as people posted their fees then.

Last edited by hqly2001; Sep 4, 11 at 4:23 pm
Old Sep 4, 11, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001 View Post
I was expecting more like 2-300 as previous folks have posted. But given that AA redemption is next to nil in fees, BA does charge a lot regardless of cabin.

I'd planned on using AA miles until the rumors of devaulation came up so I figured that I should just go ahead and redeem my BA miles for 150k in F.

But it looks like the fees have increased from 2-300 from 6-12 months ago as people posted their fees then.
Yup. A lot of other folks have the same idea. No CX availability at all in F (or J for that matter) in Nov-Dec. A couple weeks ago there was plenty (SFO-BKK). I wanna bump my res. up to F before the devaluation as well. There's some J on JL, that's it. wj
Old Sep 4, 11, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
When I got my CX F award with AA miles from SFO to HKG then J to SIN/CMB the taxes were only $27.40 (total) one way -this was in Feb '11.

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 4, 11 at 7:45 pm
Old Sep 4, 11, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Herman ze German View Post
the AA Business class is a laugh compared with CX or BA and their lounges do not have the free food and drinks...
..and what exactly does this have to do with fuel surcharges that BA charges? I don't drink, but if I did, I could buy a whole lot of drinks and food for $400 - $900 fuel surcharge that BA charges.
Do you mean to say that CX likes AA and therefore does not charge them the fuel surcharge; and, conversely, they hate BA and thus will charge them the fuel surcharge? Or maybe CX does charge AA the fuel surcharge but AA, being the nice guys they are, decided to "eat it" and not pass it on?
None of those scenarios are very likely, IMO. The most likely one is that BA charges fuel surcharges on CX just as they do just about everywhere else.
BTW - while I agree with you that both CX and BA have a better J product and nicer lounges, AA's first suite is every bit as nice as BA's. Additionally, AA's domestic F (equivalent to J on most domestic flights) is way better that the poor excuse for J that is the CE class.
Old Sep 5, 11, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I just did a dummy one-way booking JFK-DPS in F on CX for August and the taxes were E 124 (around $170) which is a $70 increase but still nothing to write home about...
Old Sep 5, 11, 1:09 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by henkybaby View Post
I just did a dummy one-way booking JFK-DPS in F on CX for August and the taxes were E 124 (around $170) which is a $70 increase but still nothing to write home about...
That sounds right.
I recently completed a CX F booking YVR-DPS-YVR for Feb-Mar 2012.

Paid 150K BA and $364 ai.
Not trivial, but yes, time to burn some BA.

Last edited by MrHalliday; Sep 5, 11 at 11:58 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: