FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Avios= BA MILES WORTHLESS for West Coast people (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1254667-avios-ba-miles-worthless-west-coast-people.html)

cazic99 Sep 1, 2011 8:25 pm

Avios= BA MILES WORTHLESS for West Coast people

I have filed a complaint with American Express for this bait and switch. I transferred over 300K of my MR points based on the old charts(Cathay and Partner redemptions) and 2 months later they devalue this for virtually EVERYONE unless you are in Europe. My point is if you want to do that, don't be promoting your stuff with Americans.

Right now, all indications are before it was 50K RT in economy to HKG, now it will take 100k or 120K for the same trip . Absolutely not acceptable.

BA has a right to change their program but offering 50% transfer than 2 months later devalue everything is sinister. I want options to have my MR points back.

gsforfree Sep 1, 2011 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by cazic99 (Post 17039576)
I have filed a complaint with American Express for this bait and switch.

Right...because American Express controls BA's marketing and redemption levels. Bait and switch also assumes that American Express knew of the changes in a non-confidential manner.

Paralytic Sep 1, 2011 8:30 pm

I have filed a complaint with American Express for this bait and switch. I transferred over 300K of my MR points based on the old charts(Cathay and Partner redemptions) and 2 months later they devalue this for virtually EVERYONE unless you are in Europe. My point is if you want to do that, don't be promoting your stuff with Americans.

Right now, all indications are before it was 50K RT in economy to HKG, now it will take 100k or 120K for the same trip . Absolutely not acceptable.

BA has a right to change their program but offering 50% transfer than 2 months later devalue everything is sinister. I want options to have my MR points back.

Too funny.

cazic99 Sep 1, 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by gsforfree (Post 17039593)
Right...because American Express controls BA's marketing and redemption levels. Bait and switch also assumes that American Express knew of the changes in a non-confidential manner.

I don't care, I just want my MR points back.

cazic99 Sep 1, 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 17039594)
Too funny.

How is this funny? 300K MR points, how about you put yourself in my shoes?

How about I snap your neck, would that be funny too?

HIDDY Sep 1, 2011 8:33 pm

Away and bile yer heid....again. :D

elitetraveler Sep 1, 2011 8:35 pm

If you are talking about West Coast - HKG using CX, where did that change?

The examples BA listed I believe were for redemptions from LHR to different destinations. Did amounts for partner awards change?

Paralytic Sep 1, 2011 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by cazic99 (Post 17039610)
How is this funny? 300K MR points, how about you put yourself in my shoes?

How about I snap your neck, would that be funny too?

Hahahahaha. I can almost imagine your veins bulging as that was hammered out on your keyboard

cazic99 Sep 1, 2011 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 17039624)
If you are talking about West Coast - HKG using CX, where did that change?

The examples BA listed I believe were for redemptions from LHR to different destinations. Did amounts for partner awards change?

All indications are calculations will be based on distance from LHR.

cazic99 Sep 1, 2011 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 17039640)
Hahahahaha. I can almost imagine your veins bulging as that was hammered out on your keyboard

Tell me what is funny about a company taking 300K of my hard earned points and make them worthless?

Paralytic Sep 1, 2011 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by cazic99 (Post 17039649)
Tell me what is funny about a company taking 300K of my hard earned points and make them worthless? Tell me you *^&%?

They took them off you? Really? Big internet man had his points stolen? Boo hoo. Have you told your mum?

Really, read back what you're writing. Do you not think you're being a bit premature?

Can't see this exchange lasting till the morning.

Paralytic Sep 1, 2011 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by cazic99 (Post 17039641)

Translation: Someone wrote it on a blog and I believe it.

747_not_777 Sep 1, 2011 8:43 pm

The way I see it, if you want to fly to London (this is British Airways after all), its the same mileage as if we want to fly to the West Coast... If you want to fly to Hong Kong on BA metal then that is effectively two very long flights via London, for which it should cost more points. Or if you want to go direct with Cathay, then perhaps BA Miles / Avios points are not the best for you.

And you've still got 2 months to book up any flights you want to until a year ahead - at the 'old' rate - so a fair amount of notice...

ffI Sep 1, 2011 8:44 pm

Win some lose some

You got 50% extra transferring from Amex. You lost about 50% by the new rules. So?

elitetraveler Sep 1, 2011 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by cazic99 (Post 17039641)

BAEC has a pretty decent size membership in North America and obviously does well with its Chase VISA affinity card so it would surprise me to see something that drastic. Why not email one of the BA lurkers - whenever I have had a questions they got back very promptly with an answer.

My guess is this won't apply to a CX award US - HKG but you are right that there needs clarification on the 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 3x ratio for points on partner awards ex-NA, which I believe is the current ratio.

Again, I recommend you PM a BA lurker for clarification. Interested in the answer.