Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios= BA MILES WORTHLESS for West Coast people

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios= BA MILES WORTHLESS for West Coast people

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
If you are talking about West Coast - HKG using CX, where did that change?

The examples BA listed I believe were for redemptions from LHR to different destinations. Did amounts for partner awards change?
No more partner award chart come Nov 16. It would be naive to think the partner award chart level would not change when BA said it would fold it to the BA chart.

I am just glad I only transferred a fraction of our MR pts to BA because the constantly rising YQ charges.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 1, 2011 at 9:44 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
some whine with that cheese?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:49 pm

Boss - LOL

Not meant to offend anyone but just laughed when I saw Boss' comment.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cazic99
All indications are calculations will be based on distance from LHR.
I haven't been following this story much, but this seems very difficult to believe since Avios will be the FF program for Iberia as well.

Edited to add: I can see where the confusion comes from, it seems that BA, in their London-centric way, has only published example mileages for the new program from London. I think it's incredibly unlikely that redemption levels for the program will be based on only mileage from London given it will be used for Iberia.

Last edited by Beckles; Sep 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by cazic99 in the ANNOUNCEMENT Thread
I got no issues with a company changing their rules. But don't offer 50% transfer and make people transfer their MR Points and than 2 months later make the points worthless for People on the West Coast.. This is not a funny matter.
I'm going to ask again just out of curiosity, who forced you to transfer your Mileage Reward points, and what did they use to do it?

Last edited by Swanhunter; Sep 2, 2011 at 3:40 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I'm going to ask again just out of curiosity, who forced you to transfer your Mileage Reward points, and what did they use to do it?
Obviously no one forced him to transfer his points. However, he as I did, likely transferred his points into BA miles because of the perceived value of BA miles at the time.

Would he transfer his BA miles if he knew about the possibility of these changes? Probably not, I know I wouldn't have.

The part of this that can really incite emotions is that it's likely that BA knew about the coming changes to their award chart when they were offering the 50% transfer bonus.

It seems a bit like a willful Bait and Switch.

Since Membership Rewards points are effectively a currency, British Airways offered miles for sale and then changed what they were worth shortly after the purchase had taken place.

The way to make this "fair" would be to announce the changes well in advance of their taking effect.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
Obviously no one forced him to transfer his points. However, he as I did, likely transferred his points into BA miles because of the perceived value of BA miles at the time.

Would he transfer his BA miles if he knew about the possibility of these changes? Probably not, I know I wouldn't have.

The part of this that can really incite emotions is that it's likely that BA knew about the coming changes to their award chart when they were offering the 50% transfer bonus.

It seems a bit like a willful Bait and Switch.

Since Membership Rewards points are effectively a currency, British Airways offered miles for sale and then changed what they were worth shortly after the purchase had taken place.
Was BA offering to sell the miles to you at this 50% bonus or did you redeem the MR with Amex and then got the miles through them?

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
The way to make this "fair" would be to announce the changes well in advance of their taking effect.
Isn't November 3 months away, that's a quarter of a year how long do you want?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
I haven't been following this story much, but this seems very difficult to believe since Avios will be the FF program for Iberia as well.

Edited to add: I can see where the confusion comes from, it seems that BA, in their London-centric way, has only published example mileages for the new program from London. I think it's incredibly unlikely that redemption levels for the program will be based on only mileage from London given it will be used for Iberia.
It would be Europe-centric I believe. And if it is the case, it would be very disadvantageous for a US-based member.

Try to make lemonade I am thinking now with UA, AA & BA all on one-way - a person can structure a RTW with 3 one-ways on 3 different programs!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
It would be Europe-centric I believe. And if it is the case, it would be very disadvantageous for a US-based member.
Only if you weren't redeeming on BA metal.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Isn't November 3 months away, that's a quarter of a year how long do you want?
Last time UA made its award chart change, it gave 6 months, fyi.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA, AA, QF, BD, SQ, EY
Perhaps best to wait until all the relevant information is in the public domain before you have a coronary.

Obviously British Airways is London-centric it's British Airways!

If your not happy with the changes, pick another reward programme. There's nothing worse than someone moaning about getting something for next to nothing.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rgalbr10

If your not happy with the changes, pick another reward programme. There's nothing worse than someone moaning about getting something for next to nothing.
What an extremely helpful post.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rgalbr10
Perhaps best to wait until all the relevant information is in the public domain before you have a coronary.

Obviously British Airways is London-centric it's British Airways!

Hear,hear....all this noise from the States is spoiling the signal gain. Haven't a clue what that means but they seem to be the latest buzz words around these parts lately....along with bait and switch.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Last time UA made its award chart change, it gave 6 months, fyi.
Ah okay, were they making most redemption's cheaper like here or making most redemption's more expensive?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffI
You got 50% extra transferring from Amex. You lost about 50% by the new rules. So?
And I would not have transferred without the 50%,?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.