Upgrading on Global Explorer?

Old Aug 30, 11, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Upgrading on Global Explorer?

Hi,

As a couple we have about 100,000 BA miles racked up, though we are only Blue members. Thanks to this forum we found out about using miles to upgrade a World Traveller Plus ticket to Club World, and enjoyed a fantastic flight back to LHR from Calgary this year

We're currently looking at the Global Explorer tickets, does anyone know if you can use your miles to upgrade certain legs of the overall trip? Or is there a better way we could benefit from the miles?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Aug 30, 11, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You probably need this FAQ more than my advice.

I've only done DONE - the business class version of the Oneworld Explorer, which is different to the Global Explorer. I haven't bothered to upgrade segments (unless they get offered...) so this is not personal experience. However you apparently can MFU DONEs sectors but not LONEs, the Economy version. You would need to buy directly off BA since travel agency tickets are generally not open to MFU.

For Global Explorer you can pay 550 to upgrade a sector from WT to WT+ and OW equivalents, or 850 for very long sectors - there's something similar with OW Explorer. So I suspect it follows the OW Explorer logic and you can't MFU from WT.

Personally I think OW Explorer is good value, Global Explorer less so, but of course YMMV.
Old Sep 1, 11, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
You probably need this FAQ more than my advice.

I've only done DONE - the business class version of the Oneworld Explorer, which is different to the Global Explorer. I haven't bothered to upgrade segments (unless they get offered...) so this is not personal experience. However you apparently can MFU DONEs sectors but not LONEs, the Economy version. You would need to buy directly off BA since travel agency tickets are generally not open to MFU.

For Global Explorer you can pay 550 to upgrade a sector from WT to WT+ and OW equivalents, or 850 for very long sectors - there's something similar with OW Explorer. So I suspect it follows the OW Explorer logic and you can't MFU from WT.

Personally I think OW Explorer is good value, Global Explorer less so, but of course YMMV.

That's great, thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Search Engine: