Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Hmm. Is a baseball bat permitted as carry on luggage?

Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze

I seem to have acquired a baseball bat, on my travels which I would like to bring home.

Being a bit slow of brain, I didn't think about whether it would fit in my hold luggage until, well, right now. And guess what!

So, chances of me being allowed to take it on as hand luggage are roughly what...?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have said no chance. Presumably you are flying from the US whole want to know if you have holes in your socks. But you will lose it at the very least.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Royal Decree 137/93 (BOE n. 55 of 05/03/93) establishes that passengers are not authorized to introduce the items listed below into the cabin of an aircraft:

Sharp weapons or objects with sharp edges (axes, hatchets, arrows, darts, crampons, harpoons, javelins, ski poles, etc.)
Firearms and weapons in general ( guns, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, compressed air rifles, signal rockets, any type of toy gun, ball guns, crossbows, harpoons and fishing rifles, etc. )
Blunt instruments (baseball bats, sticks and clubs, golf clubs, jockey sticks, kayak and canoe oars, billiard cues, skateboards, fishing rods, equipment for martial arts, knuckledusters, etc).
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Chances of carry-on - great if you are on a private jet! Otherwise, well...

Why don't you just wrap it in bubble wrap and check it in as a separate piece (Assuming you have the luggage allowance!)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No chance.

A colleague once had cricket balls confiscated! We liked the idea of someone trying to bowl their way through the cockpit door. Would the UD carpet take spin?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
No chance.

A colleague once had cricket balls confiscated! We liked the idea of someone trying to bowl their way through the cockpit door. Would the UD carpet take spin?
If the cockpit door has the same defensive skills as Indian batsmen, then maybe!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:45 pm

The main issue is that baseball bats are deemed a potential weapon, at least ex-USA, and so are not permitted in carry ons.

See: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#5

This may vary based on departure country, and BA may have their own rules as well.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Would the UD carpet take spin?
A googly to the goolies could incapacitate the captain.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Ex-Canada, so I'm fairly sure the conclusion is: bottoms. No great surprise though.

Bubble wrapping it and checking it is an idea. Just need some bubble wrap.

I like the idea of painting a set of stumps on the cockpit door on the UD. 60A and 60B are almost ideal for first and second slips.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I cant help with the answers regarding the baseball bat, but cant help seeing the funny side of it if you were allowed to take it onboard !

however i had to comment once the brilliant game of Cricket was mentioned!

Originally Posted by AJLondon
If the cockpit door has the same defensive skills as Indian batsmen, then maybe!
my grandmother has more cricketing defensive skills than the Indian batsmen !

Originally Posted by Greg66
Ex-Canada, so I'm fairly sure the conclusion is: bottoms. No great surprise though.

Bubble wrapping it and checking it is an idea. Just need some bubble wrap.

I like the idea of painting a set of stumps on the cockpit door on the UD. 60A and 60B are almost ideal for first and second slips.

silly mid on / off !
now thats a new name for those seats

cs
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Honours
Yes, for extra speedy boarding you should produce a Gadaffi t-shirt and wave around 400 mls of liquid.....in an un-sealed bag!

On a serious note....No. It's an offensive weapon (potentially) and when in Club, when you've heard there's only bloody salmon left...the temptation will be too great!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
my grandmother has more cricketing defensive skills than the Indian batsmen !
Geoffrey, is that you?! Now behave young man, or the stick of rhubarb will come out!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Post 9/11 I id see baseball bats for sale airside at an airport in the US. ABQ if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't have got one through the TSA though.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Geoffrey, is that you?! Now behave young man, or the stick of rhubarb will come out!

Shhhhhh dont tell anyone !

Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
What not the wet celery ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.