Wiki Posts
Search

NF Video-Report (New First 747)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:33 am
Original Poster

NF Video-Report (New First 747)

Hi,

this is no real trip-report, more a detailled descriptopn of my first NF experience and - I think this is something new - some short videos I took on the plane.

Last week was my first lucky flight in NF to LAS. Before the journey, I went through it all (ftdashboard, disappearing wardrobe, upcoming cot, appearing wardrobe, YouFirst giving me wrong information) but then finally there was the plane with the blinded windows!

We boarded the plane, all window blinds shut, quite impressive to see this blue-ish sphere in front of you and: Finally enter it!

Here some more pictures of the interior:

And now here are my videos. Sorry for the bad sound but who wants to hear me talking, just enjoy the views.

1: http://tinyurl.com/426hn78
2: http://tinyurl.com/3j5pn3l
(you can watch them in HD)

My conclusions from this flight:

(+) about NF:
- Great look
- bigger screen
- window-in-windows function for the moving map while watching movies
- more stable table
- own closable wardrobe for each seat
- power sockets for EU-/US devices (no more shabby emPower)
- very comfortable way to close window blinds

(-) about NF:
- surface coatings already damaged (see video 2)
- input quality for the big screen not sufficient
- very limited seat adjustment due to just one single knob
- already broken power socket at my seat

I think BA does good in updating their fleet but some improvements could be made in terms of quality of the interior.

Kexbox
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by kexbox
Hi,

this is no real trip-report, more a detailled descriptopn of my first NF experience and - I think this is something new - some short videos I took on the plane.

Last week was my first lucky flight in NF to LAS. Before the journey, I went through it all (ftdashboard, disappearing wardrobe, upcoming cot, appearing wardrobe, YouFirst giving me wrong information) but then finally there was the plane with the blinded windows!

We boarded the plane, all window blinds shut, quite impressive to see this blue-ish sphere in front of you and: Finally enter it!

Here some more pictures of the interior:

And now here are my videos. Sorry for the bad sound but who wants to hear me talking, just enjoy the views.

1: http://tinyurl.com/426hn78
2: http://tinyurl.com/3j5pn3l
(you can watch them in HD)

My conclusions from this flight:

(+) about NF:
- Great look
- bigger screen
- window-in-windows function for the moving map while watching movies
- more stable table
- own closable wardrobe for each seat
- power sockets for EU-/US devices (no more shabby emPower)
- very comfortable way to close window blinds

(-) about NF:
- surface coatings already damaged (see video 2)
- very limited seat adjustment due to just one single knob

I think BA does good in updating their fleet but some improvements could be made in terms of quality of the interior.

Kexbox
Having just dome my First NF flight I agree that the resolution of the videos could be improved but I suspect this is down to server space more than anything else, i.e. choice over quality (and please it is not that simple as to just add another hard disk to the IFE system). The big screen was good however and I watched a short vid off my netbook that didn't look too shabby on there. I liked the window blinds and the wardrobe, the seat wasn't bad either I was impressed with how comfortable it was. I still managed to fall asleep watching a film and managed to eat the F bits of my afternoon tea which were very good indeed.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Nice to see some video for a change. Thanks kexbox. ^
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:04 pm
Suspended

BA's New First looks similar to CX's New New Business (Cirrus, as opposed to their Old New Business Olympus).

Very similar layout and amount of space.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
I see an MF hat
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for posting the pictures and video - excellent commentary!!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:18 pm

For what its worth, my last flight the (MF) attendant told me that they were due to update the AVOD system in the "near" future, and that will improve the resolution of the videos.

Seems odd that they wouldn't just do it when they were doing the NF refit.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 3:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Hi,

<snip>

(-) about NF:

Thanks for the TR and pics / video of NF on a 747.

Just to comment on the power socket issue...It may indeed have been broken but not all crew (let alone pax) are aware that they can be turned on or off so worth asking if you experience this again. I was on a 777 NF flight in March that had this issue and then one of the crew went and checked something and presto they worked...she mentioned they were switchable...

Again, thanks for the report and pics. I'll be hoping for NF on our 747 on our next trip so this is a nice teaser!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Nice shots and videos! Thanks for sharing them.

I'm curious about the footstool/buddy seat, since my wife and I will be flying in F together next year. Does it seem big enough for someone to sit in while eating dinner?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm curious about the footstool/buddy seat, since my wife and I will be flying in F together next year. Does it seem big enough for someone to sit in while eating dinner?
Hi,
yes it is! There was even someone who sat there, changing his seat from the "regular one" (I think he had an bach-issue which is better when seated very upright).

Concering the power socket: The sockets were turned on but mine was obstructed with duct tape which was supposed to tell me : Broken.

And yes: Very friendly MF crew!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know if there is a difference in size for the personal wardrobes at 1A/K compared to other seats?

I've only ever flown in 1A/K, and remember thinking the other seats looked like they had a bigger wardrobe.

I'm trying to remember if the personal wardrobe is big enough to fit a garment bag containing a suit. Has anyone tried?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by pantoot
For what its worth, my last flight the (MF) attendant told me that they were due to update the AVOD system in the "near" future, and that will improve the resolution of the videos.

Seems odd that they wouldn't just do it when they were doing the NF refit.
Not true, there is no plans at present to change the Rockwell fitted aircraft. The aircraft fitted with the Thales system higher resolution screens.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
I'm trying to remember if the personal wardrobe is big enough to fit a garment bag containing a suit. Has anyone tried?
That should be possible! Perhaps slightly folded at the bottom but nothing to worry about. Furthermore there is still a "real" wardrobe near the galley where they can hang items.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
Good report and the videos are a nice idea
That is somethin I never understood. On most airlines the video quality is shabby.

well, at least now I know that there are more fellow "Landsmaenner" on FT (If I'm not completely mistaken)
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Dennis the Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I had a practice go yesterday at the open day (in preparation for my honeymoon flight to LAX in December). I could sit on the seat comfortably enough, but my shoulders were wedged in at the top. I wouldn't want to sit there for very long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.