Wiki Posts
Search

Earning TPs on reward flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Earning TPs on reward flights?

I am 60 TPs short of Silver with my membership year running out on the 8th of September and so I'm looking at my tier run options which are either a quick weekend return trip to LHR from CDG/ORY in CE or booking ET from CDG/ORY to ARN via LHR to see friends and then upgrading one leg via the website to CE. Both options would push me over the top with some to spare, but I would be looking at approx. €400 for option one and €500 for option two. To offset the financial hit, I was thinking of using some of my miles.

And so my question is this: will I still earn TPs on a reward flight paying part cash, part miles?

I've looked on BA.com and the sticky and couldn't see the answer, but apologies if this information can be found readily!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Any reward flight will not earn any tier points.

Sorry.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Any reward flight will not earn any tier points.

TBS
<pedant>

Correct that part-cash part-miles does not earn any tier points. But MFU (which some might consider to be another sub-category of 'reward flight') DOES earn tier points (and miles) at the rate appropriate to the original cabin (before the MFU takes effect).

</pedant>
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Phinn
I am 60 TPs short of Silver with my membership year running out on the 8th of September and so I'm looking at my tier run options which are either a quick weekend return trip to LHR from CDG/ORY in CE or booking ET from CDG/ORY to ARN via LHR to see friends and then upgrading one leg via the website to CE. Both options would push me over the top with some to spare, but I would be looking at approx. €400 for option one and €500 for option two. To offset the financial hit, I was thinking of using some of my miles.

And so my question is this: will I still earn TPs on a reward flight paying part cash, part miles?

I've looked on BA.com and the sticky and couldn't see the answer, but apologies if this information can be found readily!
Depending on where you live LGW might be your friend, JER or AMS offer quite good value for money when your looking at tp runs

cs
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by larryflyer
<pedant>

Correct that part-cash part-miles does not earn any tier points. But MFU (which some might consider to be another sub-category of 'reward flight') DOES earn tier points (and miles) at the rate appropriate to the original cabin (before the MFU takes effect).

</pedant>
So if I book ET and use MFU to upgrade to CE, I still earn ET miles and tier points?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by larryflyer
<pedant>

</pedant>
So if I book ET and use MFU to upgrade to CE, I still earn ET miles and tier points?
Correct

cs
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Correct, but upgradeable fare buckets are likely to be more expensive than cheapo CE fares -- and on the short hops that you've mentioned, be an insane use of miles imo.

tb

Last edited by trueblu; Aug 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm Reason: sp.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by trueblu
Correct, but upgradeable fare buckets are likely to be more expensive than cheapo CE fares -- and on the short hops that you've mentioned, be an insane use of miles imo.

tb
+1... -- To the OP, as you are Paris based apart from the ORY-LHR possibility which had good promotions in past few months, another solution is the cheapest possible Y return on a trip like ORY/CDG-LHR-HEL all in Y, which is considered longer European and would thus earn you 10+20 TP each way, so 60 in total. Typically available for about €300 if you choose cheap days to fly, although you might have left it too late to still find cheap dates I don't know.

Last edited by orbitmic; Aug 22, 2011 at 1:31 am
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You could go PAR-LON one way in CE and one way in Y/B/H class, although an I or R class return may still be cheaper.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all! I think I'm just going to suck it up and do a round weekend trip in R
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Good decision ... save the Miles, buy the flights.

Once you're Silver you will appreciate the sacrifice of flying down the back ... hopefully for the last time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.