Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA handbaggage weight allowance -- per bag or both bags?

Old Aug 20, 11, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I see that currently BA are stating a weight of 23kg for hand baggage on their site:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

As I am flying BA LHR-YVR in November to emigrate to Canada, I expect I am going to be carrying rather more both in checked baggage and carry-on baggage than normal. Can anyone confirm whether the 23kg maximum allowance is for each piece of handbaggage (normal-size and laptop-size), or whether it's a combined limit?

While I wouldn't expect or want to get both pieces of handbaggage up to 23kg(!), it might be nice if I could exceed that limit across the two bags. I am aware that I will be expected to lift them into the overhead locker unassisted.

I will be flying in First (for the first time, hurrah for miles!) if that makes any difference.

Many thanks!
Old Aug 20, 11, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snoopstah View Post
Hi guys,

I see that currently BA are stating a weight of 23kg for hand baggage on their site:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

As I am flying BA LHR-YVR in November to emigrate to Canada, I expect I am going to be carrying rather more both in checked baggage and carry-on baggage than normal. Can anyone confirm whether the 23kg maximum allowance is for each piece of handbaggage (normal-size and laptop-size), or whether it's a combined limit?

While I wouldn't expect or want to get both pieces of handbaggage up to 23kg(!), it might be nice if I could exceed that limit across the two bags. I am aware that I will be expected to lift them into the overhead locker unassisted.

I will be flying in First (for the first time, hurrah for miles!) if that makes any difference.

Many thanks!
I read that as per bag...
Old Aug 20, 11, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
The second carry-on bag has smaller size limits as you're supposed to be able to fit it under the seat in front of you. In F (or Z to be really pedantic) I suspect there will be more latitude.

Obviously you can have 332kg checked-in bags too.
Old Aug 20, 11, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA (gold) ... and RAF (or equivalent!) for those places BA (or it's partners) don't fly to ...
I thought the following might help (from the BA Dashboard):

Allowances for ... international routes

Passenger Free checked allowance

Adults

FIRST and Club World 3 Bags

The following customers are entitled to a 32kgs baggage allowance per bag at no additional charge:
First, Club World and Club Europe customers on all routes.

And specifically for hand baggage (from the BA website):

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...=searchResults

Last edited by soldierguy; Aug 20, 11 at 6:22 pm
Old Aug 20, 11, 7:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

To the OP - you don't happen to currently live in Glasgow do you? I just happen to know someone emigrating to YVR that time of year!

I believe the 23kgs is rather unenforced (especially in F) and basically you just need to lift your bags into the locker.
Old Aug 22, 11, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks all -- looks as though I should probably be OK. I would agree that the sensible interpretation of the BA website suggests that it's 23kg per bag, but some confirmation that others think the same is useful.

Thanks also for those who have pointed out that the checked baggage allowance is 3 x 32kg -- I had appreciated it was three bags, but hadn't spotted that the heavy bag charge was waived as well.

andset1191: Not me I'm afraid!

Search this Thread