Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there something unappealing about flying to the US on 4th of July?

Old Aug 20, 11, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold

There is a lot of award availability that day, but little the days before and after. I understand that some folks might want to get to the US in time for the holiday, but that doesn't explain July 5th, which is also similarly booked up. Is there something about flying to the US on the 4th of July that isn't appealing?

Thanks for any input!
Old Aug 20, 11, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew to JFK this past 4/7 and everything was quite normal although there were no queues at immigration. Bags took more than an hour to arrive but I don't know if that was holiday related or not.
Old Aug 20, 11, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
This is pretty typical for holidays, same happens with Christmas day for example. There are people flying US->UK before the holiday and returning after.

Similarly there are folks travelling returning to the US before the 4th so they can be home for the holiday or spending the holiday in the UK and then flying to the US.

I suspect, demand is lowest on the day of the holiday because most folks wouldn't want to spend it in transit.
Old Aug 20, 11, 8:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
perhaps if you are british and still rue the colony's independence....ba probably doesn't serve hot dogs to celebrate the occasion also....
Old Aug 20, 11, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I flew CW to IAD on what turned out to be the day before Memorial Day.

WT and WTP were chocka block but CW was almost empty. Only five passengers on the UD!

No business travellers were going you see.

Originally Posted by onetess View Post
that doesn't explain July 5th, which is also similarly booked up
Americans going to Europe for the holiday and then flying back afterwards.
Old Aug 20, 11, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I would say generally no, it's just like another normal day. I recently did LHR-SFO on Jul 4th and it was nothing out of the ordinary.

I guess the only thing to consider is ground transportation once you arrive. Taxis may be few and far between and public transport may not run at all, or with fewer departures.
Old Aug 20, 11, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by polar_b View Post

I guess the only thing to consider is ground transportation once you arrive. Taxis may be few and far between and public transport may not run at all, or with fewer departures.
Ah, fortunately my ground transportation has the day off and will be able to pick us up...!
Old Aug 20, 11, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I would happily fly to the USA on 4 July, as a gesture of forgiveness.

Unfortunately, VA is getting a bit hot and humid by then.
Old Aug 20, 11, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by polar_b View Post
I wouldn't expect any worries about finding a taxi. It takes a lot more than just a national holiday to keep a US taxi driver from trying to scrounge out a living.

I would expect some traffic issues in certain cities with large celebrations, like Washington D.C. with its festival on the Mall etc., so getting into town could be fun.
Old Aug 20, 11, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriot Platinum
Flew to LAS this year on 4th July

No problem getting MFU to CW UD

No problem getting a taxi

God Bless America !
Old Aug 20, 11, 2:57 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
I flew PBI-DCA on 04/07/2010, it took 3 hours from DCA to Maryland!
Old Aug 20, 11, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on when it falls, Fourth of July is, for most in the U.S., usually a three- or four-day weekend, making it a major travel day. If you're planning to drive anywhere during this time, expect a lot of "casual-driver" traffic, i.e. families, drunks, etc. It will also be harder to get into attractions such as theater, amusement parks, etc. Hotel reservations may be more difficult to get, with few good deals available. It is, however, a nice time to see the U.S., as most people are relaxed and happy. Most towns and cities will have fireworks, with major cities like New York having truly spectacular displays that are worth making the effort to see.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 20, 11, 4:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Platinum
When we were planning our move from Singapore to California in 2002, I specifically avoided July 4th and flew on July 5th instead. For some reasons, I can't get it out of my head that July 4th would be a prime date for terrorists to stage some foolish shenanigans and I just couldn't get myself to get past it.
Old Aug 20, 11, 7:41 pm

Fourth of July is also a great day to be mileage running. Many airlines offer fares for this day and this day only- on 7/4 this year one can easily find fares in the 3-4 cents per mile range- but nothing either side of this date.
Old Aug 20, 11, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Not that I am aware, although I would prefer not to travel to the US for the school holidays time. I prefer the autumn in North America, although from what you have observed, many (US?) passengers do not want to travel on their special BH.

Search this Thread