Search

OT: The cost of Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
OT: The cost of Brazil

I know this isn't strictly a BA thread, though I do have a 2-4-1 redemption booked for later this year to GRU and I would very much appreciate the worldly-wise advice of the BA board.

I have never been to Brazil but the g/f has, and loved it. Trouble is, she last visited in 2007 when there were over 4 BRL to 1 GBP. It's now about 2.6, and the economy is booming (or overheating, depending on whom you speak to). The reports I've read suggest that this may not be a cheap, or even reasonably priced, place to visit for Brits starting with Sterling.

Let me give you a little background. We're a young couple who have one big holiday a year (with maybe one or two smaller ones). Thanks to the advice of FT, my own regular SH trips for work and a BA AMEX, we have the miles and knowledge to go in CW; a cabin we would never, ever pay for with our own money. To set the scene: last time we went LH we flew BA in style, then spent the entire time in back-packer hostels. Nice hostels, I should point out - and in our own private en-suite double-rooms - but we are of a type and an age where we would prefer to spend our money on activities and experiences than (unnecessary) luxuries.

All of which makes me rather nervous about Brazil. We are planning on landing into GRU but then leave immediately, flying straight to the Iguazu Falls, across to Rio and then overland to São Paulo to leave. The accounts I am reading suggest that the cities are as expensive as London and the rest of the country is little better.

I would be very grateful for any knowledge that you might be able to impart as to the recent cost of the country, as at the moment we're seriously considering swapping the 2-4-1 redemption for somewhere else.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:31 am

From the sound of your description, you sound like a similar couple to Mrs Panda4 and I.

We went to Brazil in Jan 2010 when there were 2.7R$ to £1, although on WT (which is what started me collecting BA Miles) and went to Sao Paulo, Rio and Iguazu. Anyone who is telling you it is more expensive than London is talking sheer unadulterated gonads. Your average beer's about 3R$ and food is cheap and plentiful, particularly the per-kilo restaurants. Like anywhere, there are high-end places that I'm sure are pricey, but overall, you won't spend much at all. Accommodation also is inexpensive (unless you're in Rio for Carnival, and then it's just moderately pricey).

If you really want some value for money, when you're in Iquazu nip over the border to Argentina. You'll live like a king. Enjoy!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Panda4
If you really want some value for money, when you're in Iquazu nip over the border to Argentina. You'll live like a king. Enjoy!
does that explain why HIDDY being a Scotsman lives there, all hail King HIDDY !
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
I have to disagree with the above post, I have spent 6 weeks in total in Brazil this year, mainly in Sao Paulo and must say it is rather expensive. The Ibis in SP is around £80 per night, you'll pay over £100 for even a 3* Mercure. Once out of SP things cheapen, a Mercure in Santa Catarina is around the same price as an IBIS in SP.

Yes the kilo places are cheaper than other restaurants, but I don't recall seeing a beer anywhere fro R$3. You'll be lucky to get a lot better than R$2.2 at the FOREX and around R$2.5 on credit card transactions.

Don't forget that inflation is running at 6-7%, so although in Jan 2010 things were "cheap" according to Panda4, combine that with the currency change and your looking at quite an increase. Something that cost R$10 back then equated to around £3.70 using 2010 exchange rate, that plate of food at R$10 is now nearer R$11.50, which is over £4.50.

Also, Brazil has such amazing food and drink, yes you can buy good value, but if you want decent you always have to pay a little more, that goes for London, Paris or Brazil.

Don't get me wrong people have reasons to budget, but I can't see any point in travelling all that way in a premium cabin and then staying in a yoof hostel, nice or otherwise. If I go somewhere I would hate to have to hunt out "cheap" places to eat and drink, if I like the look of a bar in the centre of town I want to sit and look at that view, I don't want to duck down a side street to save some money. I prefer to travel with a sod it, we'll pay for it when we get back attitude.

Have a look at this article - CLICKY!

Must say though you've done well to get a redemption flight to GRU, from talking to BAEC they don't have that many and they usually go very quickly.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier
I can't see any point in travelling all that way in a premium cabin and then staying in a yoof hostel, nice or otherwise.
Primarily because 2-4-1 + miles = less money spent on J tickets than if we'd just paid for Y with no miles.

I don't want to duck down a side street to save some money.
Oh, I quite agree. I probably haven't explained it very well. We prefer the hostel arrangement because that's what we're satisfied with and, after all, we might only be there for one night and much of that time we'll spend asleep! (Just like CW ... hmmmm ) We will be dressing up and hitting some nice restaurants in the evening. I guess what I'm saying is that the flights might be J but the holiday itself will be Y!

Have a look at this article - CLICKY!
Thank you. I read the FT a lot and am finding the reports reasonably consistent. I think at this rate we may head to Thailand on a WT+ redemption. Not quite what I would have wanted but J or F redemptions in November (our dates are now fixed around the original holiday) to the g/f's desire of a beach holiday seem somewhat limited (though any suggestions are definitely welcome!).

Must say though you've done well to get a redemption flight to GRU, from talking to BAEC they don't have that many and they usually go very quickly.
Yep, that was thanks to FT. Someone (I think may have been ian001 from memory) announced in April that BA were adding flights to GIG, which lead to me finding some to GRU.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:50 am

Thanks for clearing that up dark_horse, all makes sense!

If you are up for nice places to eat, I can recommend a couple....

Bananeira in Morumbi is nice, the fish is good. http://www.bananeiramorumbi.com.br/

Roubiyat is great for Feijaoda on Saturday, they have a number I think, I have only been to the one on Faria Lima. http://www.rubaiyat.com.br/introducao-faria-lima

Jardineira is great for churasco (barbecue - bloody good!!) http://www.jardineiragrill.com.br/

If you just fancy a drink then I can recommend the caiparinha at this place, one of the famous old places for them - Veloso, get there early as it does get busy! http://www.velosobar.com.br/ You should also try some food there, the coxinha are very good (bit like a spanish croquet). There is a menu on there, the beers are around R$5, small glasses though....
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by dark_horse
Thank you. I read the FT a lot and am finding the reports reasonably consistent. I think at this rate we may head to Thailand on a WT+ redemption. Not quite what I would have wanted but J or F redemptions in November (our dates are now fixed around the original holiday) to the g/f's desire of a beach holiday seem somewhat limited (though any suggestions are definitely welcome!).
If you're looking for a relaxed beach destination with a difference, my vote would be for Oman (MCT). Not super cheap by any means, but certainly affordable. F&F rates at the IHC properties are good and plenty to do apart from veg on the beach.

Not sure what redemption availability is like, but it is a less "obvious" destination than the usual suspects, so may be ok. Fewer miles than S Am, SE Asia, etc.

Combine with a stop in AUH for some city time.

hth
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
An other idea would be to stay in Brazil but head north.

We are a similar couple and last year my girlfriend was volunteering in an hospital in the centre of Brazil. I joined her and we flew to Natal, took a car to Pipa, and stayed there at the beach for a week. It's an unbelievable, small town on the sea, reasonable price, stunning beaches. Then we went to Salvador de Bahia for a few days and we ended our holiday in Rio. Overall the more expensive city was, of course, Rio. In Pipa and Salvador we managed to save a lot of money on food, etc and we spent a little more on hotel (pousadas) as we wanted to stay in comfy places (she had to stay in the middle of nowhere in a town with no electricity during the night for more than a month, sharing a bedroom with two other volunteers and she deserved some nice hotels).
Rio can get pricy, but in my opinion you could spend only a couple of days in Rio and then move to the rest of the country which is much cheaper.

Go ahead and use trip advisor, we found a lot of small pousada (b&b) and the majority of them have emails. Get a quote from all of them and then decide...

These are my 2 cents..
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by usually sat at the back
does that explain why HIDDY being a Scotsman lives there, all hail King HIDDY !
Well it isn't that wonderful here either due to hidden inflation over the last few years.
I'd hardly call £1.50 for a small sliced loaf, £1 for a pint of milk and £1.50 for a small coffee in the local cafe cheap. I went into the fish shop last week and bought some small portions of smoked salmon,some large prawns and a kilo of fish. All that came to the equivalent of about £20.
I would say the cost of being a tourist here is about on par with us being tourists in the UK....in fact being a tourist in the UK might actually be cheaper in many ways.
Cigarettes and booze are still very cheap here though.

The feeling here is that Brazil is in for a rude awakening shortly.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:27 am

Clearly I won't argue with those who have been more recently or who live there!

I think it would be a crying shame to go somewhere you're not so bothered about because you're worried about costs at you're original destination. It might be pricier than a year ago, compared to Thailand, but I'm sure that even notwithstanding that it'll hardly be on a par with Scandinavia or Switzerland, say.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:30 am

Clearly I won't argue with those who have been more recently or who live there!

I think it would be a crying shame to go somewhere you're not so bothered about because you're worried about costs at you're original destination. It might be pricier than a year ago, compared to Thailand, but I'm sure that even notwithstanding that it'll hardly be on a par with Scandinavia or Switzerland, say.
Can't imagine anywhere is worse than Scandinavia!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Can't imagine anywhere is worse than Scandinavia!
Zurich. Wow.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA
Anyone who is telling you it is more expensive than London is talking sheer unadulterated gonads. Your average beer's about 3R$ and food is cheap and plentiful, particularly the per-kilo restaurants.
When people complain about Brazilian prices it's usually aimed at imported goods. Have a look at the price of an iPad, a pair of Diesel jeans, an Audi ... it's often double or treble what we're used to paying in Europe/North America. Don't even get me started on the grocery store chain called 'Hortifruti' ... £16 for strawberries!

Originally Posted by dark_horse
Not quite what I would have wanted but J or F redemptions in November (our dates are now fixed around the original holiday) to the g/f's desire of a beach holiday seem somewhat limited (though any suggestions are definitely welcome!).
Just head to the Brazilian beaches. S.P & Rio are expensive but Brazil is so much more than it's 2 major cities. My girlfriend is from Rio so we usually spend 5 days there with her family & then head north or south to the desolate beaches so I can surf.

If you want to head south then check out Floripa [Florianopolis] in Santa Caterina state ... good beaches, good surfing, restaurants, beach bars/clubs, pretty lively & safer than Rio/SP ...

If you want to head north then check out Bahia, we usually head to Trancoso, stunning beaches, good surfing, restaurants, bars, quieter & more relaxed than Floripa.

Ultimate Brazil ... Fernando de Noronha. PITA to reach, more expensive than Bahia etc.. but it's worth it. The first time I visited it reminded me of a latin Seychelles ... it's an incredible place but will cost you.

I'd stick with Brazil, if your g/f wants a beach vacation then Brazil is up there with the best of them & doesn't need to be expensive ... just don't buy foreign products!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your advice. We're going to stick with it and will doubtless love it, too! The suggestions for how to manage the country are very much appreciated and will be used.

Incidentally, on the topic of the same trip, does anyone know what the lounge at GRU is like? I believe that it's a UA (i.e. *A ) Red Carpet offering. Doesn't look like there is an arrivals lounge there either?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:47 am

Pretty sure there is no arrivals lounge, but as I found out through this great site, there is a fast sleep I believe between terminal 1 & 2, I think it is airside. You can pay to use that for a shower/rest. www.fastsleep.com.br

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.