FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Anyone get sick after BA flight from BKK? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1248736-anyone-get-sick-after-ba-flight-bkk.html)

ALBANY Aug 17, 2011 11:58 am

Anyone get sick after BA flight from BKK?

Tues Feb 22 2011 BA flight from BKK to London 0010
Arrived home to France later that day, went to bed. Awoke early hours v unwell. Long story but after tests from doctor, I had salmonella diagnosed. Dr wrote a letter with supporting documents to report this. BA eventually replied a month later with standard "sorry you were ill but nothing to do with us" letter. Then our of the blue have had continual emails from their Cust relation dept and H&S etc asking for more details eg what meal did I have onboard, asking for more supporting documents of sample tests etc.
So interested to know if anyone else got salmonella and reported later than me. (My own tests were done VERY quickly here in France)

lo2e Aug 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Welcome to FT, ALBANY - While I don't have an answer to your quandary, I have alerted a moderator to move your post to the British Airways forum.

Genius1 Aug 18, 2011 9:26 am

Welcome to FT!

It is of course possible that your food poisoning was a result of your BA flight, but what makes you so sure it was?

hkgerry Aug 18, 2011 9:40 am

Keep away from Soi 33 would be my advice.....

HIDDY Aug 18, 2011 9:48 am

Yeah it's impossible to prove unless more cases on the flight had been found.
Seems as if many hours had passed between you getting off the flight and becoming ill though?

Moomba Aug 18, 2011 9:57 am

Do people on here actually read what others post or just what they 'want to read' in people's posts?

It seems to me the OP was content with the original 'not our fault' email from BA. But is now questioning why BA chose to re-open dialogue with them asking for futher details. In doing so they are attempting to identfy other passengers on that flight who may have become ill?
Why would BA start quizzing the OP again about details of the flight if they had previously dismissed the claim? Perhaps others have complained too? It does seem rather odd.

AJLondon Aug 18, 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Moomba (Post 16946998)
Do people on here actually read what others post or just what they 'want to read' in people's posts?

It seems to me the OP was content with the original 'not our fault' email from BA. But is now questioning why BA chose to re-open dialogue with them asking for futher details. In doing so they are attempting to identfy other passengers on that flight who may have become ill?
Why would BA start quizzing the OP again about details of the flight if they had previously dismissed the claim? Perhaps others have complained too? It does seem rather odd.

Spot on! Even if there a remote chance of "BA being wrong", it seems that for some the defensive instinct kicks in irrespective and glazes over the actual content of the post!

Given BA re-opening dialogue here, it would seem others may have complained as well, and more importantly for BA, if any such issue exists, they need to raise it with their catering provider in BKK. That is probably why they want to document as many details as possible. I would think that is a positive step by BA, rather than brushing it under the carpet and pretending it never happened.

HIDDY Aug 18, 2011 10:07 am

Perhaps others have complained too? It does seem rather odd.

Indeed it's perfectly possible there were more cases of food poisoning on that flight. Although the request for more info doesn't imply that there was.
I imagine BA are obliged by H&S to complete the process of acquiring further information when someone submits a complaint about food poisoning after taking one of their flights.

origin Aug 18, 2011 10:09 am

Is possible the guy who deals with this has returned from his holiday. He has decided to look into this matter more detail. I am not saying that the OP didnt get sick because of BA. My stomach and me dont have a good affair. Anything can and will set it off. But then I can eat the same meal later in the week and be fine.

Its also possible they are looking at changing the supplier. If they can prove that they are making their customers sick then they possibly can cut the contract.

pinkcat Aug 18, 2011 10:45 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 16946945)
Yeah it's impossible to prove unless more cases on the flight had been found.
Seems as if many hours had passed between you getting off the flight and becoming ill though?

Salmonella species are colonisers, they take many hours to colonise the gut, 24-36 hours isnt unusual, they cling to the inside of the gut wall and breed happily while you are trying to get rid of them by various bodily means!

uk1 Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am

Yes - has happened to me - but I got my dose from a visiting celebrity Indian chef who was doing a week's star turn at the BKK IC and adjacent HI. His speciality was undercooked Tandoori Chicken. I can tell you the flight home was traumatic. 1 stone + lost in a week. :(

Doesn't seem likely to be a BA flight to me, but perhaps there was another pax contact on the same topic and they're checking?

origin Aug 18, 2011 11:06 am

I also got a diet treatment from mcdonalds. I have never had to eat there again.

Jenbel Aug 18, 2011 11:14 am

There are a whole range of bacteria which can cause food poisoning, all of which have different incubation times. By knowing which one was the cause, the OP can certainly provide a time line which shows that BA may have been the culprit.

It is actually good to know that BA are following up on this as they need to know if their suppliers are capable of meeting basic food hygiene levels to protect their passengers from getting sick. While they are at the mercy of their suppliers to some extent, they should also monitor complaints to make sure no patterns are emerging.

pinkcat Aug 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel (Post 16947576)
There are a whole range of bacteria which can cause food poisoning, all of which have different incubation times. By knowing which one was the cause, the OP can certainly provide a time line which shows that BA may have been the culprit.

..This would be my "Mastermind" topic, I love diagnosing from incubation time, symptoms and foods eaten,
Salmonellas are my absolute favourite because there are so many types and they are so interesting to identify,

Genius1 Aug 18, 2011 12:49 pm

I agree, but I still think my original question was valid.

MrHalliday Aug 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Once you are well, rest up...
then you may enjoy this movie, :eek:
which I watched yesterday.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1699231/

All the action takes place onboard or in the terminal,
so is good fun if you like to fly.