Wiki Posts
Search

Can BA compete in the future?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Can BA compete in the future?

Recently I have done a lot of flying to MNL. I want to fly BA, I am trying to give my business to BA, but I just cannot do so because EK is ridiculously cheap compared to BA (in J).

As I type, the cost for EK from London to MNL is £2500. For BA, it is £6-£7k. Now, EK has no decent FF program, no perks for status to speak of, ridiculous redemption rates and slopey seats in J on some flights. Even better for me, being Midlands based, is that I can fly from BHX for £2.5k and the chauffeur service means it is no hassle.

I'm spending clients money. I cannot justify the £4k difference even though I would love the TP + miles.

Will BA ever be able to compete with EK? Why are BA so much more expensive?

I wish BA would restore BHX > LHR. Door-to-door from my house to LHR involves :-

1. Cab to station (£10)
2. Train to St Pancras
3. Tube to Paddington
4. HEX (roundtrip before 10am peak, £170 - this is before the next fare rises btw!)

Total time - 3 hours at a cost of £180. Now, travelling via plane from BHX to LHR would probably eat up the same amount of time considering check in, security etc, but for me, it would still be more pleasurable and convenient. I don't have to schlepp my bag from the platform at STP to the tube, then all across the tube network at peak times and then finally onto HEX. I check it in at BHX and that is it.

Flying East if you're in the Midlands, there is very little benefit in choosing BA. Even if you're in London, EK must be very tempting.

Are other non-London flyers finding EK a viable option?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I think BA have better things to do with their money than launch services from BHX to LHR. Setting fire to it would be a start.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Setting fire to it would be a start.
I think that was tried last week, albeit with mixed results.

BAH
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
There is another option but i suppose it depends on how long it would take you, Train to Manchester airport and then connect onto your final BA destination from MAN.

Might seem like a silly idea but it would certainly save you the HEX cost and the lounge in Manchester is a nice place to chill out for an hour or so, plus you wont have to go lugging bags over London on the HEX etc.

I cant really offer much about the price difference, but i think you need to keep in mind that BA dont actually fly to MNL (as im sure know as you fly the route), so the Hong Kong - Manila sector would be on CX.

You would also get the following for your trip if connecting from Manchester:
MAN-LHR 20 tps and 500 miles
LHR-HKG 120 tps and 8969 miles
HKG-MNL (CX) 40 tps and 878 miles.

MAN-MNL-MAN-MNL and you will be silver

cs
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
How about jump in a car for just under 2 hours?

BHX-LHR would be a silly short flight.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by WouldLoveToFlyFirst
Are other non-London flyers finding EK a viable option?
The connection times in DBX aren't always great and coming from GLA it can involve a long layover, so for me it's often better to connect from GLA to LHR and then beyond normally in BA.

In your situation, the price differential is probably too much to really consider anything else.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: ABBA
What a waste of slots BHX-LHR would be.

You want a high speed line, LGW-LHR-BHX-MAN.

Such a line should allow a 10 minute transfer between LGW and LHR, allowing the airports to run as a single airport, and give reasonable connections from BHX and MAN
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was under the impression that the high speed rail was trying to help people in this situation.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's just not a viable option for BA to have links to everywhere in the UK

The reason EK have been such a success in the regions is because people are not prepared to travel by air or overland to LHR just to fly BA.
I think some EK bashers especially the ones who live around the corner from LHR need to live out in the regions for a while in order to appreciate the vital links the likes of EK and other foreign airlines provide to the rest of the world without any need for passengers to go anywhere near London. I would look upon it as a bonus if EK can get you there cheaper as well.

Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by HIDDY

The reason EK have been such a success in the regions is because people are not prepared to travel by air or overland to LHR just to fly BA.
I think some EK bashers especially the ones who live around the corner from LHR need to live out in the regions for a while in order to appreciate the vital links the likes of EK and other foreign airlines provide to the rest of the world without any need for passengers to go anywhere near London. I would look upon it as a bonus if EK can get you there cheaper as well.

Sounds like your starting to feel sorry for me HIDDY

cs
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.

Agreed. It's a free market, airlines can (and should) fly wherever they think they can make money. Emirates can feed their hub from the UK regions, so can BA, but in different ways. It just so happens that feeding LHR from the BHX catchment area using an aeroplane would be a very expensive and no doubt unprofitable way of doing it.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EK = Emirates??
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Sounds like your starting to feel sorry for me HIDDY

cs
What with your cornish pasties
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by origin
What with your cornish pasties
Cant beat an ansum Cornish Pasty !

however, it doesnt mean i can easily connect ex NQY !

we do now have the ability to use BE on the BA codeshare to connect at LGW which doesnt really help much ! but every little helps

not that i ever think BA will return to NQY but i do think that there are some very sweet offers on the table from CCC to try and attract new airlines and routes now that SZ are in the process of packing up !

cs
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
BA are charging these fares because they feel that either:

* they can sell the seat for that fare or more to another passenger
* they can earn more revenue by leaving some seats unsold but having a higher fare
* they are not interested in selling MNL as they feel they should focus on other markets.

Nothing wrong with that. I would love to fly BA CW more than I do if the fares were lower. But they are not because other people are willing to pay those high fares for BA's seats.

If it was in BA's interests to lower the fares they would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.