Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are your feelings about off duty CC being upgraded to Club whilst you remain in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your feelings about off duty CC being upgraded to Club whilst you remain in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Late to the party here, but I'm another who sees no problem with upgrading off-duty CC in principle at all. Deserved perk and a good rest in exchange for the hard work they do. Another advantage is that they see the service from the customer's perspective, which will be good experience for them if they themselves work in the premium cabins.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I don't see the issue. If the person works for the company in whatever position -be they check in, head office, contact centre, admin, exec club, flight crew, cabin crew, operations....etc then I think it's absolutely right that they get upgraded if there's space. Obviously you shouldn't bump a fare paying passenger from J to seat an upgraded CC there, but if there's a free seat, I don't really see the issue. It's a perk of the job IMHO.

If you want a business class seat, go out and buy a business class ticket!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Club and Skywards
With the poor salaries and lack of other perks airline staff have then I see no problem with this. Staff totally dererve it.
Everyone gets perks in their job. Airline staff being upgraded on a space available basis is a perk for their hard work.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:06 am

Absolutely, why shouldn't staff get an upgrade if there are spare seats at the front?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by indianwells
Absolutely, why shouldn't staff get an upgrade if there are spare seats at the front?
DL used to, (and at some stations still do) routinely upgrade airline staff (not only their own...) to the next highest cabin if there are seats available and revenue passengers who are entitled to an upgrade are accommodated.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:21 am

In another life-time when I was a so-called stewardess, repositioning was called "dead-heading" and the premium cabin was almost always full of revenu pax. We would block off a row or two (3 seaters) in y; all our flight were TATL. And usually the crew would arrive well-rested. If you weren't a dead-head and the flight was full you'd get a jump seat .

Obviously not alcohol could be served to any of these employess. In those days, we also had spouses/family who had lost a loved one, in crashes or other airlines accidents, or flight related (i.e. during layovers) ~ these people travelled gratis. We treated them with every care and whenever possible, moved them up to our premium cabin. The only requirement in those days was that they were well-dressed and didn't discuss their loss with other pax. Similar treatment was given to spouses of non-airline related deaths when possible. The "status" ~flagging, noted by the call-center was passed on to ground personnel, who in turn informed the Captain. Often the relocation to the better seat/cabin, was done after doors closed.

I don't know if the same courtesy is practiced today, but personally I don't think it's anybody's business why a pax is moved ~ who knows the story/reason.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:29 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
What I am mighty mighty impressed about is how civilised this thread has been! Even after 80 odd posts! Usually by this time in the life of such a thread on the BA board heads are banging, chests are thumping, wailing piercing shrieks are heard etc etc etc...

Well done folks!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by AJLondon
What I am mighty mighty impressed about is how civilised this thread has been! Even after 80 odd posts! Usually by this time in the life of such a thread on the BA board heads are banging, chests are thumping, wailing piercing shrieks are heard etc etc etc...

Well done folks!
Well obviously if that AJLondon was upgraded that would be an entirely different matter.

BAH
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
And for all we know the pax could have had a space avail (legit) upgrade that was only confirmed last minute if a pax didnt show - we will never know.

But I also dont have any issue with it.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:36 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Well obviously if that AJLondon was upgraded that would be an entirely different matter.
Indeed! How very dare they upgrade him?! Unless it is to sit on the Captain's lap of course.. DTKWHI?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
As long as the service doesn't suffer I really don't mind.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
As long as anyone who wishes to pay for a cabin can get access to a cabin i don't care where contingent passenger sit. Assuming of course they are discrete and it's done quietly. Traveling as an off duty contingent passenger is a privilege IMO and not to be abused
Most jobs come with unwritten perks. I know mine does and as long as we respect them they will usually continue
I recently sat in F my first time BTW and a young couple very good friends of The captain were bumped up to F and they even had a wee baby
They were travelling to show the baby to a very ill grandmother and the captain moved them up to make the long trip more comfortable
The baby was as good as gold and I even held it for 30 mins so they could eat dinner together. My first reaction was "oh no. Not a baby in F"
But I couldn't have been more wrong andthey were so appreciative of all the help and benefits. The cabin crew were wonderful and we were all pleased they had an upgrade as opposed to jealous. After all I sat in the cabin I paid for got the service I expected and we all had a pleasant trip
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by Soames
In another life-time when I was a so-called stewardess, repositioning was called "dead-heading" and the premium cabin was almost always full of revenu pax. We would block off a row or two (3 seaters) in y; all our flight were TATL. And usually the crew would arrive well-rested. If you weren't a dead-head and the flight was full you'd get a jump seat .

Obviously not alcohol could be served to any of these employess. In those days, we also had spouses/family who had lost a loved one, in crashes or other airlines accidents, or flight related (i.e. during layovers) ~ these people travelled gratis. We treated them with every care and whenever possible, moved them up to our premium cabin. The only
requirement in those days was that they were well-dressed and didn't
discuss their loss with other pax. Similar treatment was given to spouses of non-airline related deaths when possible. The "status" ~flagging, noted by the call-center was passed on to ground personnel, who in turn informed the Captain. Often the relocation to the better seat/cabin, was done after doors closed.

As a former line pilot yes this happened on my 'liner too! Moving into management there was huge resistance ... The BA model was cited as the way to go... So I find it unbelievable that the most stringent (post BOAC) and stingy staff perked of them all would be so criticised! But maybe it's my age and staff courtesies on the line don't exist any more... They don't in management where I work, that's for sure!

I don't know if the same courtesy is practiced today, but personally I don't think it's anybody's business why a pax is moved ~ who knows the story/reason.

Last edited by rathin100; Aug 16, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Hmmm, tough question. On one hand, i work for an airline, but on the other, i do like a free upgrade as a paying pax. I guess it doesn't really bother me. Any half decent airline won't be upgrading pax from W to J (for example) unless W is oversold and i'm sure 9 times out of 10 upgraded staff will just be getting a seat that would otherwise be vacant, so it's not really like they're taking a seat that could've gone to an elite FF.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
When I pay for a seat on an aeroplane I have the choice to spend as much or as little as I like to sit in the cabin of my choice, be that Y, J or any letter in between.
When I choose my cabin that's where I expect to sit, it is what I have paid for. What is going on around me, and who is being shuffled into whatever seat is of no concern to me unless the plane is diving earthwards at around 10,000 feet a minute and it's time to meet my maker!
People have this thing about upgrades, for God's sake if you want to sit in J pay for it. Otherwise it is no business of anybody what is going on, whether that be Mr and Mrs Double-Barrelled Surname or a crew member being upgraded. If the upgrade finger of fortune should happen to land on your shoulder then accept it, enjoy it, don't flaunt it and most importantly if you are left back in 55E on that 12 hour flight, just remember that is what you paid for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.