Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are your feelings about off duty CC being upgraded to Club whilst you remain in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your feelings about off duty CC being upgraded to Club whilst you remain in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Actually what has surprised me with these responses is the generosity of spirit that is shown here. Now, we have all made some fairly whopping assumptions haven't we. This person was "obviously " crew. Indeed? I thought that people were innocent until proven guilty. There are several passengers who travel big time who we do see from time to time - indeed maybe once upon a time they were crew themselves. We do not know in this specific instance that this was a crew member we have assumed it. We have no idea what relationship he held with the Captain the CSD or the Directors of the Airline.

Furthermore - who knows how many other Golds were sitting in that cabin. We don't know. So often this ends up with a "why him/her and not me".

Without commenting further on the BA policy that has been explained here the only thing that was done wrong was moving this passenger to where he was still in eye shot of others. I would have moved them to First. What the eye does not see the heart does not grieve over. Better yet, I'd have stopped him at boarding and got him to wait in the galley until everyone was aboard and seated. I am not certain that this was crew at all.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Now, we have all made some fairly whopping assumptions haven't we. This person was "obviously " crew.
This was my thought straight away, the upgraded could have been GGL or Prem not just a cheap Euro Gold.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DWFI
but I am aware, that especially on US airlines it happens (when premium cabins are not filled with systemwide upgrades, miles upgrades, auto-upgrades, and whatever-else-you-can-imagine upgrades).
Yes I have read that it's common practice on US based airlines to upgrade everyone and their granny to the premium cabins if seats are free. At the moment we are the only two in the F cabin on a UA flight but I bet they'll fill it up with UA employees going on vacation.

Some good points from my colleagues above. The Captain is the only person who can authorize an upgrade once the doors are closed.

In doing so he/she will often check that the person is suitably dressed and that the upgrade is done with the minimum of fuss.

There are strict guidelines as to staff travel. All items such as washbags, pyjamas, etc should be quietly declined. The CC will obviously also take their meal orders after all commercial pax have had their choice.

The paying customer is always put first. If it is thought the upgrade would in any way disrupt their experience of a premium cabin, the Captain will leave them where they are.

All staff realise sitting in a premium cabin is a priviledge, not a right, and their presence should never affect those that have paid to sit there.

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent British Airways’ positions, strategies or opinions
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I am not certain that this was crew at all.
I have to agree with you. Also if it was crew they would have been more access all areas as they know all areas. does tha make sense.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I think some peoples imaginations get a bit carried away when they see passengers either mysteriously disappearing or appearing in cabins.
I just think they are up to no good. I never thought about an upgrade.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:54 am

I have no problems with crew seated in the premium cabin, whether they are positioning, on personal travel, upgraded or whatever.

As BAPilotInsider mentions, and other BA staff concur, the staff in premium cabins know it is a privilege not a right, and behave with appropriate decorum, allowing fare-paying pax priority on limited items, such as menu choices.

That means they are most likely better co-travellers than the fare-paying premium cabin traveller

It doesn't deprive me of anything, whether I am in the premium cabin or down the back....I'm still getting what I paid for.

What I do object to is the upgrade of pax with young children...kids will be kids, they can not (apparently) be smothered when crying. It's a sensitive issue even when the family has paid for the premium cabin. So why upgrade such a traveller and its carer into an F cabin? this was not on BA.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
It happens in every industry... just the perks.. Would I be upset, no.

Have been at events where I paid big money and a friend of a friend gets to get a better seat...

It happens ALL the time at my favourite hotel, do I mind, no, they work hard for it... and good for them.

I find that lots of people are green eyes... how about at YOU work, if you give your buddy leg up.. Same..

Last edited by Yahillwe; Aug 15, 2011 at 12:07 pm
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
I would have no issues with off-duty CC being seated in Club/First.

I would hope however that it is done discreetly without making it obvious to the "left-over pax behind the curtain".

And of course, once upgraded, I assume that any off-duty CC will follow the behaviour standards that BA expects them to, and the crew on duty will ensure that cabin-ticketed pax get first choice of meals etc.
This one. ^
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
It happens ALL the time at my favourite hotel, do I mind, no, they work hard for it... and good for them.
Which is??
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by origin
Which is??
They get to go to their other hotels within the same brand...So for example the NY ones get to stay free at the ones in Paris or Florence... and have seen them..

What is the big deal..

This lady who worked in one place while her hubby worked for another chain, they stayed at the Dorchester/Plaza from his part and other wonderful places from her part... good for them
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I agree with the other posters - this is simply a perk of the job. As long as you're in the cabin you've paid for you've not lost out in any way.

Most people have perks of some sort in their own jobs - mine is classical music tickets; I can pretty much get a pair of tickets for anything I like with zero trouble and no cost because of where I work. I'm sure it drives other people mad, but it's a perk of my job and I don't actually use it that often.

My company also monitors it carefully and if you ask for tickets and don't use them yourself the cost of the tickets is deducted from your salary unless there is a good reason you didn't go.

BAH

(Please, no PM's asking for tickets for Glyndebourne, Last Night of the Proms et al - not going to happen people !)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Agree that if there is space for off duty cc, they are well behaved (and not UTI), it is done very discreetly, doesnt affect other passengers food choices etc I can't see the harm. I don't think it should be a free for all though, groups, friends, family, 8th cousins, etc.

The CC, especially the MF crews, are hardly paid a fortune and if it happens it happens. I wouldnt be miffed if I saw someone being moved. None of my business and wouldnt dream of asking the reasons, why not me etc. A small perk IMHO.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To the OP... what would you do IF... finally you got some seats at a much sought after concert... Ok seat ain't that good, still you have one, then a buddy of your your who works the venue sees you and beckons you to follow him to better seat, what would you do?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:10 pm

We get free tickets for the rugger & cricket, invites to the squadron, pads and phones, etc, and quite often I get upgraded on flights. Lucky me, perks of the job. If, and that seems to be a big if based on staff responses, staff get a freebee then good luck to them. It's almost a shame that some felt they had to explain the very sensible controls BA has in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.