Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How do I access the lounge - just made CX Diamond but no card yet?

Old Aug 15, 11, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond , Marriott Gold , IHG Plat

I have just CX Diamond status and fly w/ BA from LHR this week. I have added my FQTV number in the booking so could pre-book my seat (saving a few $$) but how would the lounge dragons know that I am allowed in!
Old Aug 15, 11, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
If the system allowed you to pre-book your seat, it seems to correctly know your status so should show up on your boarding pass. That's ordinarily enough.

I don't think the BA dragons would necessarily be able to check your CX status directly if it isn't on your boarding pass. BA used to fax lounge access letters confirming status so maybe CX do this, although once you've seen one they would be easy to forge.
Old Aug 15, 11, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Your OW emerald status should come up automatically on your boarding pass. Lounge access without card in oneworld is rarely an issue (unlike, say, Lufthansa). Enjoy the GF!
Old Aug 15, 11, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Only airline who seems to need the card for lounge access within OW is AA. Their BPs dont show the full card number, so they need to swipe it.

The status info isnt apparently stored in the card magnetic stripe though. I just made BA Gold but havent received the card yet, but swiping my silver card here in ORD Flagship lounge allowed me access without issues (Desk agent clearly knew whats going on, she congratulated me for the emerald status )
Old Aug 15, 11, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, BD Blue :(, Le Club Accorhotels Silver, AF/NH Pleb
Originally Posted by dera View Post
Only airline who seems to need the card for lounge access within OW is AA. Their BPs dont show the full card number, so they need to swipe it.

The status info isnt apparently stored in the card magnetic stripe though. I just made BA Gold but havent received the card yet, but swiping my silver card here in ORD Flagship lounge allowed me access without issues (Desk agent clearly knew whats going on, she congratulated me for the emerald status )
At a guess all that the card swipe will do is enter the number into the system which will then fetch your information from some kind of central database ensuring it is up to date. This is how they would know you've made gold (or if your status has been revoked due to misbehaviour or whatever).

Search this Thread