Enough time to change flights? LHR-ATL-MCO

Old Aug 15, 11, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
Enough time to change flights? LHR-ATL-MCO

Hi all

Flying in First from Heathrow to Atlanta, arriving at 7pm. I need to continue to Orlando and so I'm looking to book an additional flight (probably Delta).

Any idea if 3 hours is considered "enough" to get off the BA flight, through security, pickup my bags, check-in and so on in order to get another flight at around 10pm?

Thanks!

(hope this will be the new First, haven't managed to experience that yet)
Old Aug 15, 11, 4:38 am

Programs: Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz President ś Circle , AF- KLM Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
Hi S,

3 hours is enough.
You will need about to hours to go through immigration,customs and going to another terminal.
Be sure to rush from airplane to immigration .

Take care
Old Aug 15, 11, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I would try and book AA, at least then you would just have to collect your bags and re drop them as they would be thru checked from LHR

cs
Old Aug 15, 11, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
As BA Gold, bags would be free on AA. You would have to pay for bags on most other airlines unless if you are in domestic F or J. Some LCC still give free hold bags like Air Tran.
Old Aug 15, 11, 5:19 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I lived in Atlanta for 20 years so fairly familiar with the airport. After clearing customs you will encounter airline desks which will retag your luggage if it is not already thru tagged to Orlando. Would strongly suggest you already have purchased Delta or Airtran onwards flight to Orlando before departing London. After handing luggage off to new carrier, proceed thru security which gets you into E concourse and onward to connecting flight. easy process.
Word of caution, I was caught in March in ATL at 7pm with 80 minute immigration wait as many of the Caribbean/Mexico flights arrive. Even with that you will still be OK however, but it can be busy.
Old Aug 15, 11, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
Thanks all

But I think AA doesn't fly straight from ATL to MCO, or does it? At least not in the evening since I'm arriving at 7pm. That's according to ITA Matrix.

I guess I'll need to visit AA's website to reconfirm.

Cheers
Old Aug 15, 11, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Thanks all

But I think AA doesn't fly straight from ATL to MCO, or does it? At least not in the evening since I'm arriving at 7pm. That's according to ITA Matrix.

I guess I'll need to visit AA's website to reconfirm.

Cheers
your correct. you would need to connect in MIA to do this with AA, who do have a flight leaving at 19:50 which as iv never been through ATL before i have no idea if its sufficiant time, but i would suggest not.

If you did go down the AA route, you would obviously earn miles and points and receive the full benefits of being a gold member, so free baggage etc.

im just guessing that your wanting to fly first, as there is a direct LGW-MCO flight but obviously served by a 3 class 772

cs
Old Aug 15, 11, 6:08 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
If you fly on Delta for your domestic segment, you will be able to reclaim your baggage at customs in ATL, and then after you exit the customs hall (but before security and baggage recheck), there is a Delta desk where you can check in for your next flight and have your bags tagged for your domestic connection. I've done 1 hour international to domestic connections in ATL, but I would strongly suggest at least 1.5 hours if not 2 hours.

Search this Thread