LCY: Truly 'heart' of the city?

Old Aug 14, 11, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
LCY: Truly 'heart' of the city?

Had a return AMS-LCY a few days ago, the first time I have flown to LCY in several years. On the return I was slightly shocked by the actual time it takes to get from the centre of London (well, Soho and West End actually rather than The City) to the airport that advertises itself as the 'centre' of the city. Is it centre of The City or the actual metropolitan area of London?

The trip from Charing Cross to LCY took 1 hour and 50 minutes taking the Tube!!!!! I think it's about 10 miles via road? Granted, there was some sort of problem on the Bakerloo Line, but even then it was quite a grueling (and stressful) trek. Can the airport really call itself being located at the 'centre' of the city? The flight to AMS, including trek from the infamous Polderbaan, took less time than it took to cross London. In that amount of time it took to get to LCY, I could practically be at LHR.

The big advantage, of course, is the small size of LCY. Including security, it took me about 5 minutes to sprint from the DLR station to gate 8. Heathrow will never match that.

Consequently, I arrived just as the flight was closing and missed the service. Ground agents told me to buy a new ticket, but fortunately the Executive Club in the Netherlands was able to book me on the next flight. The look on the "computer says no" people was almost priceless, as they checked their systems to ensure "an error" had not been made!

So I suppose LCY is really only the 'centre' of the financial district and possibly The City. But is the claim truly accurate?
Old Aug 14, 11, 3:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
110 minutes from Charing Cross to LCY? Crikey. From Westminster it rarely takes me more than 35 minutes, sometimes only 25 minutes - were you changing at Waterloo on to the Jubilee? Journeyplanner says take the overland to Waterloo, then Jubilee from Southwark, which is interesting.
Old Aug 14, 11, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
The centre of London is a plaque opposite Charing Cross station, and this is where all road distances from London are measured. However, I really can't imagine it taking 1h50m to LCY.

Oh, and train from CX to London Bridge and then Jubilee to Canning Town is a backup route in case of problems on the Bakerloo/Northern (and you avoid that silly long walk at Waterloo too).
Old Aug 14, 11, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave:16922922
110 minutes from Charing Cross to LCY? Crikey. [...] Journeyplanner says take the overland to Waterloo, then Jubilee from Southwark, which is interesting.
That sounds right; it'll actually be Waterloo East, which is pretty much on top of Southwark tube station. But the OP has my sympathy and I'm glad BAEC were able to sort out the next flight for you.
Old Aug 14, 11, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer View Post
Had a return AMS-LCY a few days ago, the first time I have flown to LCY in several years. On the return I was slightly shocked by the actual time it takes to get from the centre of London (well, Soho and West End actually rather than The City) to the airport that advertises itself as the 'centre' of the city. Is it centre of The City or the actual metropolitan area of London?

The trip from Charing Cross to LCY took 1 hour and 50 minutes taking the Tube!!!!! I think it's about 10 miles via road? Granted, there was some sort of problem on the Bakerloo Line, but even then it was quite a grueling (and stressful) trek. Can the airport really call itself being located at the 'centre' of the city? The flight to AMS, including trek from the infamous Polderbaan, took less time than it took to cross London. In that amount of time it took to get to LCY, I could practically be at LHR.

The big advantage, of course, is the small size of LCY. Including security, it took me about 5 minutes to sprint from the DLR station to gate 8. Heathrow will never match that.

Consequently, I arrived just as the flight was closing and missed the service. Ground agents told me to buy a new ticket, but fortunately the Executive Club in the Netherlands was able to book me on the next flight. The look on the "computer says no" people was almost priceless, as they checked their systems to ensure "an error" had not been made!

So I suppose LCY is really only the 'centre' of the financial district and possibly The City. But is the claim truly accurate?
Think they might mean the City as in the financial district not as in whole of London. Might be wrong though.
Old Aug 14, 11, 3:37 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
LCY is the only airport in London.

So many other routes are possible from Charing Cross. Walk down to Embankment, get the circle line to Monument then get the DLR to LCY. Overground to Waterloo East, Jubliee Line and DLR is another.

Any problems on the tube can normally be avoided (if known about in advance of course) and can be done in about 35 mins on a normal day.
Old Aug 14, 11, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I guess they mean the "City of London" aka The Square Mile.

Edit: This place
Old Aug 14, 11, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by chistery View Post
LCY is the only airport in London.
Billhooks. LHR is also in London.
Old Aug 14, 11, 4:43 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by heartybob View Post
Maybe you should argue with LCY?

The only airport actually in London, London City Airport
Old Aug 14, 11, 4:54 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by heartybob View Post
Wouldn't LHR technically be in Middlesex as opposed to "London"?
Old Aug 14, 11, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
Wouldn't LHR technically be in Middlesex as opposed to "London"?
Middlesex is part of Greater London.
Old Aug 14, 11, 5:04 pm

LHR is in the London Borough of Hillingdon.

Palmer
Old Aug 14, 11, 5:04 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
Middlesex is part of Greater London.
In that case we could have one London airport and one Greater London airport.
Old Aug 14, 11, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
In hindsight, I did make the mistake of taking the Tube between Charing Cross and Embankment, when I probably should have walked. But with just under two hours to spare to get to LCY with no hold luggage at all, I didn't think much of it at the time. Then at Embankment we ended up waiting God knows how long for the Circle Line due to some kind of delay, to transfer onto the DRL at Monument (I think). Probably could have done it better, but with so much time to spare we weren't thinking too much about it...
Old Aug 14, 11, 5:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You seriously took the tube between Charing Cross and Embankment?!?!? I thought that was an Urban Myth. Along with the Covent Garden to Leicester Square tourists.

Oh well, next time just walk down Whitehall to Westminster (5 - 10 mins) and then take the Jubilee to Canning Town.

Search this Thread