Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY: Truly 'heart' of the city?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Indeed and the comparison to LTN isnt really fair since few of the LCY operators also fly from LTN (do any?).
RE is the one and only.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
To be honest i only ever use LCY if heading out directly from the office in Canary Wharf, otherwise LHR/LGW tend to be far more accessible for where I live and tend to hang out.

Imagine for most locations other than the East end it's a similar scenario.

As for suggesting LTN, think that's an airport you would only go to once..
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by stueys
As for suggesting LTN, think that's an airport you would only go to once..
I've been three times, but I don't know why.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Not too far from London Oxford.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stifle
I've been three times, but I don't know why.
I'm guessing a bet or dare, can only hope the payoff was worth the pain
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just looked back into it and I had booked two before going the first time; the third was booked for me by someone else.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dobba
Not too far from London Oxford.

But possibly closer to London Southend?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:13 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

A BA Cityflyer arrival this morning managed to close the runway at LCY and resulted in quite a few diversions. Runway now open. Any idea what happened? Hopefully not a repeat of the Avro incident a few years back.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14571266

London City Airport was closed for almost an hour after a landing plane developed a technical problem.

The British Airways (BA) flight from Edinburgh suffered "a minor technical fault" as it landed and could not clear the runway as normal.

The runway was shut from 08:30 BST until 09:25 BST and four arriving planes had to be diverted.

All passengers got off the aircraft as normal and flights resumed following a runway inspection, the airport said.

A London City Airport statement said all passengers safely disembarked the aircraft as normal and the aircraft was towed to its stand.

BA said: "We apologise to passengers for the delay. Safety is of paramount importance and at no time was this compromised."

Two arriving Air France planes and two BA planes were diverted to other airports.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Are you guys serious in saying that LHR is preferable to LCY in terms of convenience?

I landed @LCY at 07:53 (as in: wheels down) this morning and was at my desk in Mayfair at 08:48.

At LHR the taxi around the apron, waiting for a stand, T5 B( /C!) gate shuttle, plus the surprisingly long walks through immigration would mean I'd probably have taken as long to get from wheels down to the HEX platforms... then it's the wait for the HEX, another 23mins to QQP plus however long to get from Paddington to town...

Ditto outbound: You can be in London Bridge and still make your flight at LCY departing in 34 minutes, at the same time as someone is being turned back at T5 for failing conformance. And yes, I have done both.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Are you guys serious in saying that LHR is preferable to LCY in terms of convenience?

I landed @LCY at 07:53 (as in: wheels down) this morning and was at my desk in Mayfair at 08:48.

At LHR the taxi around the apron, waiting for a stand, T5 B( /C!) gate shuttle, plus the surprisingly long walks through immigration would mean I'd probably have taken as long to get from wheels down to the HEX platforms... then it's the wait for the HEX, another 23mins to QQP plus however long to get from Paddington to town...

Ditto outbound: You can be in London Bridge and still make your flight at LCY departing in 34 minutes, at the same time as someone is being turned back at T5 for failing conformance. And yes, I have done both.

Quite so - and I've been within 15 mins of departure - with a bag to check - and still made the flight.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by AJLondon
In that case we could have one London airport and one Greater London airport.
You are forgetting the following London Airports:

London Stansted (Hertfordshire)
London Oxford (Oxfordshire)
London Southend (Essex)
London Biggin Hill (Borough of Bromley)
London Manston (Kent)
London Gatwick (Sussex)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.