FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Upgrade with cash -- higher tier points? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1247681-upgrade-cash-higher-tier-points.html)

bklink Aug 14, 2011 8:04 am

Upgrade with cash -- higher tier points?

I'm booked LHR-ORD in WT+ and there is a pretty cheap offer (approx 300 GBP) to fly one of the segments in CW. If I spring for that, will I get the CW or the WT+ TPs?

LTN Phobia Aug 14, 2011 8:05 am

CW (assuming that the original ticket was booked in cash).

nedved20 Aug 14, 2011 8:07 am

That's a good deal

BizFlyin Aug 14, 2011 8:24 am

Originally Posted by bklink (Post 16921264)
I'm booked LHR-ORD in WT+ and there is a pretty cheap offer (approx 300 GBP) to fly one of the segments in CW. If I spring for that, will I get the CW or the WT+ TPs?

If you upgrade with cash you get the TPs. Well, at least I did when I've done it.

BotB Aug 14, 2011 8:25 am

That is indeed a great deal, usually around £ 395 to upgrade one way through MMB or at check-in! By chance is it the first time you would fly CW if you upgrade or have you flown it before with BA? (I ask as there was talk of a marketing action to get more people into CW and it revolves around offering the upgrade nearly 100 quid cheaper than normal in MMB).

As the others have mentioned, you will get the CW points and miles for that segment.

Depending on your strategy it may be worth going for the upgrade or waiting to see if they give you an OP-UP. If you need/want the TP and miles OR really would like to ensure you get CW instead of WT+ then go for it. If however, you are not too bothered and don't need the TP or miles and are a gambling type then you could consider waiting and seeing if they are that overbooked that they have to give the OP-UP anyway...

Hope you have a great flight, let us know what you do in any case please to help others in future!

nedved20 Aug 14, 2011 8:31 am

I wouldn't gamble with that deal..

BotB Aug 14, 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by nedved20 (Post 16921364)
I wouldn't gamble with that deal..

No, nor would I, especially as it will be a reasonably long flight of 8-9 hours and is a daytime flight IIRC.

However, this is a popular route and will be busy this time of year so chances are higher than normal I would say for an OP-UP...

I would take the £300 deal simply for the better seat, sleep/comfort option and privacy alone but some are not bothered and find WT+ fine, can sleep okay in such seats or do not do so on day flights and do not need or want the TP's...so then it would make sense to simply wait it out...

If I could buy it from the OP I would do ;)

sheppy26 Aug 14, 2011 8:55 am

Just wondering, but how soon before flying have you been offered the deal?

I have a LHR-JFK WT+ flight in 2 weeks with the return a few days later from IAD. Do these MMB upgrades happen randomly, or is there a set time before departure that they appear?

I've booked some ET flights recently and paid the special offer upgrade price to CE for a little more comfort and tier points, bt haven't been offered anyhing on the long hauls yet

nedved20 Aug 14, 2011 8:59 am

It's a little random.. Check 24 hours before as well

cornishsimon Aug 14, 2011 9:03 am

Originally Posted by sheppy26 (Post 16921475)
Just wondering, but how soon before flying have you been offered the deal?

I have a LHR-JFK WT+ flight in 2 weeks with the return a few days later from IAD. Do these MMB upgrades happen randomly, or is there a set time before departure that they appear?

I've booked some ET flights recently and paid the special offer upgrade price to CE for a little more comfort and tier points, bt haven't been offered anyhing on the long hauls yet

I'm nit sure if you will get the offer due to flying an openjaw ticket

cs

IFE Wizard Aug 14, 2011 9:09 am

I have just had a similar deal, with a sting in the tail.

Flying WT+ to MIA I received, by name, an offer on "Manage my Booking", an upgrade to CW one way for £339. Tried to book on line but kept being told that there was a fault on the site and to call for this offer.

When I called I was told that I did not qualify for this offer. Can't work out why other than possibly because I purchased the ticket with shareholder discount. However, going back to the Manage my Booking site, I found that if I chose to upgrade both outbound and return (the return upgrade price was £1,820) then it would let me upgrade the outbound at the low price. No question on how this was originally ticketed.

And no, i did not think this was a deal I wanted.

bklink Sep 5, 2011 12:18 pm

Well I took the offer and flew the segment, but the flight posted as 0 miles, 0 tier points. But this was paid WT+, upgraded with money to CW. Should I not have received CW TPs and miles? What gives?

LTN Phobia Sep 5, 2011 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by bklink (Post 17058368)
Well I took the offer and flew the segment, but the flight posted as 0 miles, 0 tier points. But this was paid WT+, upgraded with money to CW. Should I not have received CW TPs and miles? What gives?

It sounds like the system got a bit confused. I think you will have to retro-claim with BAEC.

BAHumbug Sep 5, 2011 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by bklink (Post 17058368)

You should have received CW TP's and miles, yes - you'll need to take it up with the Executive Club.

BAH

Tobias-UK Sep 5, 2011 12:25 pm

Call the EC, I've had several flights to/from the US where my points and miles have not been credited correctly, usually when MFUd. They will give you the points and miles.