FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pax moving bags in overhead lockers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1247496-pax-moving-bags-overhead-lockers.html)

Zhivago Aug 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Pax moving bags in overhead lockers

Sitting in 2J/2K yesterday on the BA663, I happened to glance up and see that one of the pax behind us had removed my wife's handbag (which is absolutely NOT large) from the overhead locker and was heading towards row 7, evidently to stow it there. He had done this to make some space for his own bag, but he had made no effort to find out whose bag it was. Now, if my wife had discovered her bag was missing midway through the flight, she would have been quite distressed, although the bag would obviously have been found.

I politely challenged him and he apologised, and, of course, we made space for him to fit his own bag into the locker, but why, oh why, would he not have made an attempt to learn whose bag it was? Are we all really that unapproachable that people are afraid a polite request to move a bag will be met with hostility? :confused:

sunrisegirl Aug 13, 2011 2:05 pm

That's awful - I'd be very upset if someone moved my handbag without mentioning it first. That's why I always keep my bag by my side, even in a bulkhead seat, until just before take off.

That said, isn't 663 the LCA route? I think Smirnoff might say it could be normal procedure for that flight ;):p

OPebble Aug 13, 2011 2:06 pm

The world is, I am afraid, full of uncultured and illiterate oafs who should have been strangled at birth or better still their parents sterilised! ;)

Ah - feel better now!

LTN Phobia Aug 13, 2011 2:08 pm

IMO passengers should not even ask to move someone else's bag that is already there without a really good reason (e.g. ET pax bag in CE etc), let alone moving it without the owner's consent.

FlyerTalker6245 Aug 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Terrible.

Really bad to see this.

Sort of thing that if I saw on Ryanair, i'd think "that wouldn't happen on BA".

Apart from anything else, weren't you in Club?

crystal_cad Aug 13, 2011 2:33 pm

When flying in ET I can never decide whether to board at the earliest convencience so as to stow our luggage above our seat, or board last so that I know that once the luggage is placed in the locker it won't be moved.

We, probably like many others on this forum, have quite expensive camera equipment, and sometimes buy crafts, e.g. glass work, when on holiday. I will stress that our carry-ons are small! Whilst we take care with wrapping and protecting our valuables, it does worry us sometimes when people are wrestling with their own carry-on cases - it will fit in whatever, or, we'll just through this bag over there :mad:

Clearly one of the major benefits for us flying in premium classes longhaul is the greater luggage space.

exilencfc Aug 13, 2011 2:46 pm

You were very nice about it. I think i'd have leapt straight to shouting thief at him. Which is still nicer than thumping him...

DWFI Aug 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by exilencfc (Post 16917804)
You were very nice about it. I think i'd have leapt straight to shouting thief at him. Which is still nicer than thumping him...

:D:D

I feel it's acceptable to move another pax's bag as long as it stays in the same overhead bin. Any more and I always ask.

Of course, the FAs on US domestics don't always bother asking and routinely move bags around to try to fit as much as possible...

BAHumbug Aug 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 16917817)
Of course, the FAs on US domestics don't always bother asking and routinely move bags around to try to fit as much as possible...

Please don't refer to the rest of the crew like that.

BAH

Zhivago Aug 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by andset1191 (Post 16917639)
Terrible.

Apart from anything else, weren't you in Club?

Yes, in Club, as was he.

I don't have a problem with helping out a fellow pax by moving my (or, in this case, my wife's) things to create more space, but I DO want to know where my bag is, and I would have expected the simple courtesy of being asked.

Sean Bhalach Aug 13, 2011 3:02 pm

This is why if I'm travelling domestic or WT, I always try to put our cabin baggage (small usually, a little ruksack, handbag and jackets) above us but slightly forward, so I can see any interference.

mad_rich Aug 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 16917619)
IMO passengers should not even ask to move someone else's bag that is already there without a really good reason (e.g. ET pax bag in CE etc), let alone moving it without the owner's consent.

Except to grumpily rearrange a badly stowed bag, which should be done with an audible 'hmpph'. ;)

KenJohn Aug 14, 2011 2:35 am

If the handbag was actually in the removers hand, several rows away, should that warrant a complaint to crew that the bag was being stolen!

origin Aug 14, 2011 2:41 am

I would have lost my temper big time. Also a security breach a person has interfered with the bag.

:mad:

Smirnoff Aug 14, 2011 3:11 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl (Post 16917603)
That said, isn't 663 the LCA route? I think Smirnoff might say it could be normal procedure for that flight ;):p

Ahh the 663. :p

Unique bunch of passengers. ;)