RBC to BA worth it?

Old Aug 13, 11, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
RBC to BA worth it?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if transferring my RBC points to BA really that worth it... It's very tempting when a promo of 50% is in play... Thing is, just like my Aeroplan, I would be stuck to BA flights only... And I've read some bad reviews and some equally good ones about the experiences on BA.

Switch or not?
Old Aug 13, 11, 8:42 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
You're not stuck with BA flights only--just the surcharges and fees that BA imposes when using their planes to fly to London and beyond. BA is a member of the oneworld alliance, with partners like AA, LAN, and Cathay Pacific. BA's miles may be used on these carriers to get places other than Europe, including domestic flights on AA, with much lower taxes and fees. This series from The Points Guy really has all the information you need, and I suggest you read it thoroughly before making any transfers to BA so that you understand the limitations and strengths of accumulating a pile of BA miles: http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/how-...-miles-post-1/.

I'm flying BA to Scotland Tuesday. I love their service but am also willing to pay the taxes and surcharges to get a discounted seat in their business and first-class cabins. For trips in coach where you have a long lead time to make reservations, you can frequently find a fare that is the equal of or not much more than the fees and surcharges on a BA coach award ticket.
Old Aug 13, 11, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Highly recommend it. As stated, its not just BA you get but all of 1W.

For instance: 100,000 RBC = 150,000 BA = BA F YYZ-LHR return

Not such a great use of miles. But on the other hand 150,000 BA miles will also get you CX F YYZ-HKG return. At 2.5x the distance to LHR and one of (if not the) best F products in the sky, its amazing use of miles.
Old Aug 14, 11, 2:37 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
It is worth it if you are going to fly to the far east using CX or AA: lower redemption and also lower YQ charges.

To fly BA with these miles is not competitive that much due to the higher mileage levels and the hefty YQ charges.

You have also the option to transfer these points to AA advantage.

Search this Thread