Wiki Posts
Search

Booking part of route in AA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Booking part of route in AA

Well since there is a 30 minute hold time for US BA, I thought I would laboriously type out my question on my ipad and see if FTers would be kind enough to help.

I have an award flight booked from Paris to New York on BA in Club World for both legs. (CDG to LHR and LCY to JFK) If an AA flight comes up for the LHR to JFK leg in F, I would like to change to that flight. I know I will incur a change fee, but my question is: will BA let me change this one leg while keeping the CDG to LHR leg on BA? (Really very little hope of getting two award seats on a CDG to JFK AA flight, which would only be in J but I would still take because it's direct). And, if BA would allow this, what exactly would be the mileage needed? I'm assuming it's 62.5 per flyer and am assuming I can still include the BA CDG to LHR leg of the trip in that amount. (No long layover at LHR...only booked this way because one can't fly direct from CDG.)

Hope this makes sense...thanks for any help! (Of course, given the hold times for BA, it may not even be possible to change my booking to include an AA flight!)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Seems possible to me. A change from CWLC to AA F would incur an additional 25k BA Miles and recalculation of fees/surcharges. Similarly shifting to CDG-JFK direct would result in a simple fee/surcharges recalculation. Mileage for CDG-JFK in business class is 50,000 BA Miles each way, so no different to routing via London.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just to make explicit what Prospero indicated, while AA only charges 62.5K miles for a First Class award from France to the U.S., BA charges 75K miles for the same award, regardless of whether you fly AA or BA for the TATL segment.

If you do end up changing the award reservation, you should give serious consideration to adding on a free one-way to California, Hawaii, or the Caribbean on AA for a date after your return to NYC.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
How do you do that? Is there a limit of months?

you should give serious consideration to adding on a free one-way to California, Hawaii, or the Caribbean on AA for a date after your return to NYC.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by nedved20
How do you do that? Is there a limit of months?

you should give serious consideration to adding on a free one-way to California, Hawaii, or the Caribbean on AA for a date after your return to NYC.
All travel on an award must be completed within one year of award-ticket issuance. BA awards permit multiple stopovers along the "most direct route," however BAEC may define that term; AA international awards permit one free stopover, and only at the North American gateway.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

Just to make explicit what Prospero indicated, while AA only charges 62.5K miles for a First Class award from France to the U.S., BA charges 75K miles for the same award, regardless of whether you fly AA or BA for the TATL segment.
Is the chart for BA + one partner the same mileage as Single partner?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Originally Posted by guv1976

Is the chart for BA + one partner the same mileage as Single partner?
On this particular route -- Europe 1 to U.S. -- it is. On some other routes, it might not be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.