OT: Your Perfect Holiday!

Old Aug 12, 11, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
OT: Your Perfect Holiday!

Hi all- had an idea of a thread like this just so everyone can share what they love doing/where they love going on holiday.

My ideal holiday consists of either lying on a beach for 2 weeks doing nothing apart from some occasional snorkelling, having a city break in New York/Hong Kong for a few days shopping, eating, meeting friends etc or a mix between the 2- Tampa offered that when I went last year!
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My perfect holiday is to go home to NCL to see my family and LON to see my friends. Flying BA in CW and taking East Coast trains in First Class.

For a weekend away I like to fly GF in Falcon Gold to BAH and stay at the Diplomat or fly QR in F to AUH and stay at the Millenium.
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:04 am

I love the whole chilling by the pool/beach and snorkelling (particularly now we have kids to think of). Best holiday we had was a mini (3 week) RTW trip - 2 nights in Hong Kong (city break), 9 nights driving round the South Island of New Zealand (wildlife, glaciers, good food/wine), a week in Aitutaki in the Cook Islands (luxury chilling by the beach) and 2 nights in LA (Universal Studios, 5* hotel in Beverly Hills). Couldn't imagine doing that with a family though, and we were pretty exhausted by the end of it!!
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:04 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Beach Villa with private swimming pool and butler at my favourite resort in the Maldives - it's just amazing to be with all the family and have everything you need without having to worry about anything.
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:05 am

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios + some UA miles, former CO Plat
Any trip that includes r/t first class and a sailboat at the destination in clear blue-green tropical waters with sufficient rum drinks close at hand.....
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:05 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mikey2124 View Post
Hi all- had an idea of a thread like this just so everyone can share what they love doing/where they love going on holiday.

My ideal holiday consists of either lying on a beach for 2 weeks doing nothing apart from some occasional snorkelling, having a city break in New York/Hong Kong for a few days shopping, eating, meeting friends etc or a mix between the 2- Tampa offered that when I went last year!
Win the lottery (or inherit from a long-lost rich uncle); book the first international F flight out - anywhere! - hunker down at a FourSeasons or something comparable: relax, eat , sleep, sample local delights - plan an epic RTW trip (or double RTW, on different alliances!) - strategise to chalk up miles and points, sample different premium products on the ground and in the air - throw darts on a world map for the next destination - repeat at each stop - meet friends along the way and make new ones - write up trip reports between safaris and massages and tasting menus - send product evaluation pieces to various publications...

Or something along those lines
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Flying...

Honestly, on my last holiday I did OSL-LHR/LGW-AMS, spent one night at an airport hotel, then AMS-BUD-WAW, again spent one night at an airport hotel, then WAW-DUS-TXL, one night in Berlin, before flying home via LHR.

My next holiday is a few days in New York, but I wont go either direct, or one-stop via LHR. I will go OSL-LHR-USA, then connect to an AA-flight, spend one night, and then two more flights to get to NYC.

And it's not even only about the miles/TP's. To get from my first stop in the US, I could choose two routings. One would give me 20+60 TP, and make me score Gold for a decent price. . The other one is giving me 10+60 TP's, and will place me 10 TP's short of Gold, and is more expensive that the first routing. It includes a flight on the 767-200, and that's why I chose the more expensive routing over the one that would have made me a GCH (Don't worry, I''ve got the last TP's covered in a later trip )

It's also a bit about "collecting": Aircrafts, airports, airlines, routes.

Some people think I'm weird when I tell them my routings for my trips, but I don't care.
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:06 am

For me - it's an easy one.

Arrive at T5 for flights in F to one of BA's West Coast or South Western US desintations (ideally one NOT served by Mixed Fleet crews). Tickets, of course, on BA Miles and Amex vouchers.

Pick-up an AVIS SUV at the airport and head off for the start of a 16-17 day road-trip adventure. Ideal stops along the way? My favorites (where there is always more to do and see) include Moab, UT; Death Valley, CA; Durango, CO; Big Bend, TX and Sedona, AZ. Plenty of nights in Hampton Inns along the way, enjoying Denny's and Red Lobster's for several dinners (who needs 'up-market' food all the time on holiday - not me!). But mixed in with adventures into real "locals" diners and steakhouses where the English accent causes such intrigue.

Oh - and in addition to the Avis rental - I'd be hiring a modified Jeep Rubicon and a Yahama Rhino ATV for some proper off-road adventures whilst in some of the more dramatic slick rock locations where you can head off and not see a single other person all day long...

After 1 or 2 nights in up to 10 different locations en route, and a trip odometer reading at least 3,000 miles (or you haven't been on a true road trip), I'd settle in for 2 or 3 nights relaxation at the Camelback Inn in Scottsdale, and chill by the pool with the Mrs in the 105 degree August heat. Soaking up Mummy Mountain, the heat, the clear blie skies and the absolute tranquility of it all. Plus treat usto dinner at BLT Steak, and the nearby Mortons. The Porterhouse steaks are out of this world.

And then - say hello to the friendly bunch in the PHX F lounge - and look forward to a relaxing flight home. Sad it's all over (again), but looking forward to sharing pics with friends and family - AND planning next year's adventure.

Last edited by 747_not_777; Aug 12, 11 at 4:34 pm
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Option 1 ... Head for VA and spend 3 weeks shopping for ourselves and 3 small [and always growing] children [not ours, the next generation's offspring]. Have you even seen the prices they charge for [email protected] in UK? Any spare time is spent drinking with a strange assortment of friends we've acquired over the years, and visiting assorted Museums and Civil War Battlefields.

Option 2 ... Head for some Winter sunshine in the Caribbean, and explore the concept of a week doing nothing [apart from waving a flag for the Beach Butler to bring more drinks] Testing in Jan 12, hopefully it will be an annual event.

Option 3 ... Repeat Option 1.

TPs = Annual Silver renewal.
Miles = Lots, ensuring MFUs to J all the time.
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

* poking around a random and slightly esoteric part of the world (which reminds me to finish off my Uzbekistan trip report)
* Diving
* overlanding (Lhasa to Khatmandu was a favourite)
* safari
* or a few days getting some alcoholic recreation in with friends
* exploring one of the worlds great cities

....or indeed a combination of the above in from 2 days to 3 weeks

* no fly drives
* no all inclusive beach resorts
* no package tourism
* no camping
* no daft stuff like climbing mountains or cycling long distances
* ideally very few Brits too

Airline is incidental, so long as I am not doing a longhaul in anything less than Business.
Old Aug 12, 11, 12:05 pm

Anywhere BA flies, that has CW (or even F) redemption availability that is extremely hot, sunny and dry for as long as my boss will allow me
Old Aug 12, 11, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Simple : Anywhere where mobile phone signals don't reach for a complete break from any work influences.

We have acheived this in the Maldives - at the excellent Banyan Tree - no shoes for 2 weeks.

And in the middle of Borneo rainforest with the Oran-Utangs

And strangely in New Enmgland - Vermont to be specifc - cross the border from Mass and no phones (4 between us on 3 diff networks) worked anywhere (2004) until you leave the state. wasn't until got home found out it was because they were still analogue !
Old Aug 12, 11, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post

Option 2 ... Head for some Winter sunshine in the Caribbean, and explore the concept of a week doing nothing [apart from waving a flag for the Beach Butler to bring more drinks] Testing in Jan 12, hopefully it will be an annual event.
I might be off for some winter sunshine in Feb! Thought about MLE, flight space in WT ran out, J ridiculously overpriced as it was busy- MBJ looking cheapest at the moment- CW flights + a 4* resort for a week for 1499... seems like a bit of a steal, shame the resort doesn't look brilliant! Waiting for BA sale anyway, hopefully PUJ will be down cheap again!
Old Aug 12, 11, 12:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Top three that come to mind straight away:

- Cape Town and Franschoek

- Falaknuma Palace Hyderabad and Rambagh Palace Jaipur

- Salzburg and vicinity: In particular Schloss Fuschl and Goldener Hirsch
Old Aug 12, 11, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Miles
Exactly the same as 747_not_777, even down to the time frame, places and restaurants. Only difference - no off roading!

Search this Thread