Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Canyou use AA miles on BA ticket on AA metal?

Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat

Flying DFW-LHR in coach this coming Sunday. Booked ticket via BA, but outbound is on AA metal. Can I use AA miles to upgrade to business on this flight?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze (Ye Gods no), AA Gold (never used)
I believe you can't mfu for international AA flights
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You can use BA miles to upgrade a flight on BA, AA, or IB. Very limited classes are eligible on AA or IB flights.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us
You can use AA miles to upgrade a flight on AA, BA, or IB but your ticket has to be issued by AA. Again limited classes are eligible for upgrade on BA or IB
Codeshare flights marketed by American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia and operated by any of the three carriers are also eligible to upgrade. In order to upgrade on a flight operated by British Airways or Iberia, your original ticket must be booked directly with American Airlines (via Reservations or AA.com).
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...radeAwards.jsp

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Aug 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Since the OP wants to use AA miles, the above responses are not relevant.

Unfortunately the answer to the OP's question is most likely a No. AA mileage upgrades require reticketing by AA, and I doubt AA would be able to reticket a BA issued 125 stock ticket. However, if the ticket is on 001 stock, it should be possible.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Since the OP wants to use AA miles, the above responses are not relevant.

Unfortunately the answer to the OP's question is most likely a No. AA mileage upgrades require reticketing by AA, and I doubt AA would be able to reticket a BA issued 125 stock ticket. However, if the ticket is on 001 stock, it should be possible.
See the post right above yours that addresses using BA and AA miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.