Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in crates of beer as hold baggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:16 pm
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Checking in crates of beer as hold baggage

I'll soon be flying IBZ-LCY in Club. Lots of Spanish supermarkets sell good German beer in 50cl cans, so with three of us travelling with only one suitcase each, I want to use our additional unused 3x32kg baggage allowance to bring a decent amount of beer back. A 24x50cl crate of beer weighs 12.7kg, so I could easily bring back 6 crates if I package them up as 3 items of 2 crates each. However, packaging up two crates into one item is not so easy, so I'm wondering whether BA would accept 6 shrink-wrapped crates as individual items with no additional packaging? Although this would stay within the weight allowance, it would not stay within the number of items limit (a problem if BA is charged per item by local baggage handlers). And would BA have a problem with only the standard shrink-wrapping around each crate and no additional packaging?

I know beer itself isn’t a problem as I've brought plenty of beer back from Germany to London as hold baggage on BA in the past using spare space within hard suitcases.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:26 pm

If any of the cans should break and cause damage to others property, you will be held responsible for the damage.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I just firmly tape together two cases of cans
one on top of the other, wrap in towels or laundry,
wrap again with big garbage bag,
duct tape the whole mess together,
and put it in a duffel.

Worked fine, at least for me !
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
On BA, your baggage allowance is measured in pieces, not weight. The only weight restriction if you're in CE is a maximum of 32kg. You cannot bring more lighter pieces; each piece beyond six (for three CE pax) will be charged at €39.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Have you cleared this idea with your Significant Other yet?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just how cheap is this good German beer?

All seems a bit of a faff to me.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
But surely what you save in cost of the beer you'll lose when you pay excess baggage for each of the 6 cases? Each piece over your allowance (2 up to 32kg in CE) will be charged at a rate of £35 (or £28 if you pre-pay online). If you have any hold baggage to check in then excess will be applied.

If the items are not packed properly then BA will refuse to carry them. From the sounds of your description I think there could be a query over whether the packing is suitable. Shrink wrapping will not provide enough protection.

In all honesty I truly don't believe it's worth the effort but only you can decide that.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:26 pm
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have you cleared this idea with your Significant Other yet?
Yes, but this amount is smaller than usual anyway

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just how cheap is this good German beer?
Normally in Belgium I pay €0.62 per 50cl can. You can't buy it easily in the UK, and if you do, it costs around 3 times the usual price mainly because of British beer tax. British beer tax adds 56p to the price of a 50cl can of 5% beer - £18.57 x 0.005 x 5 x 1.20 (and yes, they even charge VAT on the beer tax). Therefore the UK tax (not including the VAT on the beer itself) is more than the full retail cost in Belgium (and France, Spain and Germany).

Thanks to all for the useful replies. It seems that I'll need to package them up into 3 packages of 2 crates each.

Last edited by NFH; Aug 6, 2011 at 3:41 pm
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I imagine the baggage handlers at IBZ will be toasting your health that evening after your crates mysteriously fail to make the flight!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:52 am

Looks to me like you would loose more than you will save in excess luggage alone, let alone all the hassle. And that's if they don't get nicked on the way.

BTW you can buy good German beer here. But why would anyone want to do that when there is very good English beer available. When in Rome and all that.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:43 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Looks to me like you would loose more than you will save in excess luggage alone, let alone all the hassle.
Why would there be excess baggage charges? If I package them up into 3 items containing 2 crates each, it would fall into the baggage allowance.

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
BTW you can buy good German beer here. But why would anyone want to do that when there is very good English beer available. When in Rome and all that.
Why buy German beer in the UK when the tax alone is more than the usual full retail price? And why would I want to drink English beer when it's got lots of artificial additives?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Blue & Silver again!! Monarch Vantage GOLD!!!! HiltonHonors Gold
If you want German Beer in the UK for a reasonable price I have two words for you:

LIDL - LIDL Perlenbacher Premium Pilsner, Brewed in Germany, 6 x 500ml £5.25

ALDI - ALDI Steinhauser German Lager £3.89 for 6 cans
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:15 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Grief - what state will it be in being chucked around by the baggage handlers or sitting outside in the heat.

Still each to their own.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:16 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by srt8
If you want German Beer in the UK for a reasonable price I have two words for you:

LIDL - LIDL Perlenbacher Premium Pilsner, Brewed in Germany, 6 x 500ml £5.25

ALDI - ALDI Steinhauser German Lager £3.89 for 6 cans
I've tried buying this kind of stuff before from the same budget supermarkets. The price is usually around €0.40 for a 50cl can, and this is reflected in the quality, as they often lack flavour. It's budget beer and the breweries are often contracted by the budget supermarkets to produce only for them. Outside Germany, I buy large quantities only of the large German national beers.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:25 am

NO! NO! NO!

I do not want your disgusting beverages smashing/exploding in the hold and leaking all over my Tumi.

Not to mention the wastefulness and environmental impact of air-freighting beer.

And spare a thought for the check in agents and baggage handlers who have to lug your bags around.

Get a better job, and buy some beer when you get home.

You really can't be that Poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.