Wiki Posts
Search

one-partner award booking help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage - Platinum
one-partner award booking help

Since I couldn't get thru BAEC reservation line, I thought I'd post this question here.

I'm planning to book one-way award tickets for 5 pax (AA one-partner) for travel next year from one BA mileage account. Planned itinerary is:

YVR-DFW Feb20
DFW-DEN Jun 2
DEN-ORD Jun 5
ORD-YYZ Jun 8

We are in DFW. If two of the passengers have to skip the YVR-DFW leg (itinerary change) later on, would the fee be $70 x 2? or is it just $70? Is it possible to just change only 2 of 5 passengers or would it be better to book us under two different record locators?

Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:51 am

The change fee is $70 per passenger. So it will be $70 x 2. But I am not sure what you are trying here? If you know you will not take the YVR-DFW now, why book it? Or is it not decided yet?

IMHO it is best to book it as 2 separate tickets.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gg2020
The change fee is $70 per passenger. So it will be $70 x 2. But I am not sure what you are trying here? If you know you will not take the YVR-DFW now, why book it? Or is it not decided yet?

IMHO it is best to book it as 2 separate tickets.
For two of the passengers (wife and daughter), I am not sure if they can make the YVR-DFW trip. It depends on whether my daughter will have a gymnastics meet on those dates. Season schedule does not come out until Nov-Dec time frame.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you verified that BAEC will approve YVR-DFW-DEN-ORD as a single, one-way award?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My hunch is BAEC will say No when OP calls to check.

DEN is not natural connection point between DFW and ORD, also there are plenty of direct flights between DFW and ORD.

Too many folks dream up the "unlimited stopovers" but what BAEC really means is, "Stopovers are permitted at Natural Connection Points En-Route".
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Happy

Too many folks dream up the "unlimited stopovers" but what BAEC really means is, "Stopovers are permitted at Natural Connection Points En-Route".
Indeed....it's a ridiculous routing.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the inputs I guess the best I could do, since the rule says most direct route would be;

YVR-DFW
DFW-YYZ

I certainly would not want to be admonished by a BA customer service so, thanks for the helpful comments...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by susmaryosep
Thanks for all the inputs I guess the best I could do, since the rule says most direct route would be;

YVR-DFW
DFW-YYZ

I certainly would not want to be admonished by a BA customer service so, thanks for the helpful comments...
I think it's possible that DFW-ORD-YYZ would be allowed. BAEC has been somewhat liberal in defining "most direct route." There's no harm in asking, and I certainly would not be concerned about being "admonished" by an airline about an attempted award redemption.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. ORD probably would be allowed but DEN is very questionable.

OP should just call BAEC after Aug 12 (the current 50% award sale expires) so it is easier to get through the service center and then inquire if the original itinerary is possible, if not, then take out DEN and see if ORD can stay.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Success

It turned out we don't really have enough time to make the Denver stop so, I didn't even try it but based on my experience, it would have likely been allowed by the agent I spoke with.

Finally had the time to call early this morning. Below is how it went down.
===============================================
Me: Hello, I would like to book a multi-leg one-way trip for 5 passengers using my BA miles.

Agent: What's your BA number?

Me: XXXXXXXX

Agent: What's your destination?

Me: Final destination is Toronto, but I have looked up the flight segments and dates, can I give them to you?

Agent: Ok, what is the first flight segment.

Me: Vancouver - Dallas, on Feb xx.

Agent: I don't see any availability for that date, in fact I dont see any availability in February for 5 people at all.

Me: Hmmm, I just checked it on the American Airlines website and they are showing good availability on all the segments I checked.

Agent: We don't necessarily have the same availability.... Wait, did you want American Airlines for this flight?

Me: Yes, all the segments I will be providing will be thru AA. The first segment is on flight AA282.

Agent: Ok, I see that now. What's your next segment?

Me: Dallas-Chicago on June xx, on AA2332

Agent: Ok, Next?

Me: Chicago- Toronto on June yy, on AA3608 and that's the final leg.

Agent: Ok, that will be $ 493.55 an 62,500 miles

Me: Thank you very much. I appreciate you're help!

Agent: Glad to help and I hope you enjoy your trip!
======================================

Lesson's I learned from this booking.
1. Spell-out right away that you want a multi-leg one-way trip using what airline. In my case American Airlines. It seems that the agent was looking for BA seats when they don't even fly that route... Of course there would be no availability using BA metal...

2. I think I got lucky that my agent allowed me to provide the flight numbers and did not insist on just an origin and destination point. Some FT'ers have posted not being accomodated by their agent. If you don't get a cooperative agent, hang-up and try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.