Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

August so much better than July [Club world catering]

August so much better than July [Club world catering]

Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom139
It's about product differentiation though not cost or anything. A few years ago I was refused Hot Chocolate in Club World because I was told it was exclusively for First pax.
http://airlinesangel.com/2011/08/las...itish-airways/

It says here on the link that Hot Chocolate is now only for Club.

But still the biggest problem in any service organisation is finding the person who will or can go the extra that is needed. When on a plane we only have a few seconds to judge the crew. Some are good, some are okay, some sadly are having a bad trip. Its about building a fast relationship with the cabin crew some are easier to do this with than others.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In a way I can understand that the CC/pax ratio in F makes it easier to offer hot chocolate.

But is it really that difficult to offer it in CW?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
While I do agree with you Origin, its not like Club World is the cheapest ticket going.

A lot of people drink Earl Grey and a lot of people drink decaf. I've only ever asked for Earl Grey in F because I was offered it, but I always ask for decaf in Club but make a point to add "when you have time" so I don't sound like I am demanding it.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globalste
While I do agree with you Origin, its not like Club World is the cheapest ticket going.

A lot of people drink Earl Grey and a lot of people drink decaf. I've only ever asked for Earl Grey in F because I was offered it, but I always ask for decaf in Club but make a point to add "when you have time" so I don't sound like I am demanding it.
I am not a Tea drinker, so will never be able to comment on the Earl Grey or not. However I do agree that they should be able to put all the different options in the main premium cabins at least.

I wasnt saying anyone wasnt nice in the way they spoke to the cabin crew. Just that some know where everything is more than others.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
In a way I can understand that the CC/pax ratio in F makes it easier to offer hot chocolate.

But is it really that difficult to offer it in CW?
The link I gave said it was for CW only. I think the cabin crew 'borrow' the Hot Chocolate and sit in their hotel rooms drinking it.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by globalste

Me too, on night flights, and I always ask for it to me made short ("if its not too much trouble"), so that I get something approximating to a F decaf espresso.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver
agree the food seems to have gotten better.

on my recent trip LHR-ORD mains included Crab Cakes with noodles and thai style curry sauce - it actually tasted nice - didnt look great but had plenty of flavour. There was a blurb on the menu about Umami so it sounds like they are introducing some of Heston B's teachings

afternoon tea sandwiches could have been a little bit better if the fillings had been a little more generous.

return sleeper service - the food in the ORD lounge would have been good if it had been hot (and the rice not undercooked) Guys its not hard to get this right on the ground!!

on a separate gripe why do BA insist on keeping the cabin so hot on overnight flights? - it makes me so hot i cannot get any sleep - please can we cool the cabin down - isnt that why you give out blankets???!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I thought there would be more debate on my suggestion that catering really had got better - not the tea bag...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
The tea bag is emblematic of the problem. I haven't flown in the last 6 weeks so I can't say if it is better but tomorrow I am on the move so I will share my thoughts in a few days time
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Re the Teabag - Can't you just bring some along from the Lounge?

Re the Hot Chocolate - Isn't that a key component of the CW Sleeper Services? (Generally, late evening departures from the US East Coast) So it's not exclusive for F.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:53 am

yes you could indeed bring a teabag from the lounge, you could bring one from home, you could save one from when you fly on CX, I suppose the point is for 3k you might expect them to give you a t bag on board.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
yes you could indeed bring a teabag from the lounge, you could bring one from home, you could save one from when you fly on CX, I suppose the point is for 3k you might expect them to give you a t bag on board.
Sure, point taken - but if it's that important I'd pop a couple in my bag just in case. They're not that heavy

I happen to prefer cashews and pistachios with my drinks. I prefer them to Macadamias, so bring a bag or two along from home or buy at some of the ME airports eg BAH (yes, I know that they serve small bags of cashews in CW). Never had an issue getting an empty bowl or plate to put them on. Helps with the shells form the pistachios.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by tom139
It's about product differentiation though not cost or anything. A few years ago I was refused Hot Chocolate in Club World because I was told it was exclusively for First pax.
Sheesh, Qantas give you Hot Chocolate in Economy! ^

Dave
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Sure, point taken - but if it's that important I'd pop a couple in my bag just in case. They're not that heavy

I happen to prefer cashews and pistachios with my drinks. I prefer them to Macadamias, so bring a bag or two along from home or buy at some of the ME airports eg BAH (yes, I know that they serve small bags of cashews in CW). Never had an issue getting an empty bowl or plate to put them on. Helps with the shells form the pistachios.
Well yes you have a point about the snacks. I hadn't thought about the DIY option I quite like pistachios and also twiglets (but no one ever has those) so perhaps I should bring my own.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:29 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by lady1964
I have to disagree. We're just back this morning from CAN and I was disappointed with my main, I chose tagliatelle with mushrooms and it was over-done. I ate less than half of it, although the smoked salmon starter was nice and the salad was ok. I usually have the cheese plate instead of a pudding but didn't have anything, however my husband had the cheese and said it wasn't that good.
Nice Puilly Fume wine though and a good Kir Royale.
How on earth do you overdo Pasta - was it not al dente? I note that you were coming back from somewhere that I rate very highly for the catering.

Cheese is always a tricky one - I love it but usually only eat it out of London,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.