Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First trip report with kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:48 am
Original Poster

New First trip report with kids

Thought a few out there may be interested in a recent trip we took from LHR to JFK travelling First -Two adults and two kids aged 12 and 9. I won't go into full trip details as this has been covered many times before but will report on a few points. Trip done via two AMEX vouchers and lots of saved miles, mainly from AMEX and TESCO conversions. We travelled on BA115 on a Saturday (15:05) and back on BA174.

First Check in at T5 was ok but nothing special, no help with bags. When I asked the check in lady if the aircraft was New first she didn't seem to know what I meant, so I thought I'd wait and ask someone further down the line. Fast track security was good and the Concorde lounge easy to find. We immediately tried to book a treatment but were told there were none available, this was 2.5 hours before our flight

So we headed to the dining area for a spot of lunch, service and food was good. Though we only chose light options as we wanted the full in flight meal experience.

So with a couple of hours to spare we decided to check out the Galleries business lounge to see what the kids area was like, in comparison with the Concorde lounge it was large, busy and not particularly relaxing, on finding out that we needed to request champagne and that the kids area was a small room with a playstation we decided that our time would be better spent in the Concorde area, but not before asking the chap on reception if our flight was New First, he quickly confirmed that it was not. Typical of our luck, I thought

We (I) then spent the next couple of hours sampling the champagne and wine on offer. My only area of complaint was that it took too long for the staff to clear used glasses, plates away and that I had to seek refills rather than being asked. The lounge would also benefit from a wider selection of magazines.

I was obviously enjoying the experience a little too much as the flight went from 'Boarding' to 'Last call' very quickly, problem was that the gate was in the satellite terminal B, so a mad dash ensued using the transit system. We did however arrive at the gate in the nick of time, and were soon greeted by our names. As we boarded the aircraft it was obvious it was a New First, so shows how little the ground staff knew

First impressions were good and the cabin felt very relaxed, with the other passengers all in very casual dress. It must have been obvious that this wasn't our usual class of travel by the grins on our faces. As we familiarised ourselves with the new seats (Row5) The crew quickly provided drinks (More Champagne) and nuts, along with an amenity kit and the offer of PJ's for all fours of us, although the PJ's weren't available in a small size - Not that we wanted to sleep anyway. The menu's quickly followed, with our orders being taken soon after take off.

After more champers and a G&T I was well on the way The food went down well, (my daughter enjoyed her childs meal too), but by now I got the feeling the crew were encouraging me to take a nap! However on trying to move the seat it became jammed in a semi flat position, and despite crew efforts would not budge. I fell into a slumber anyway. On waking a bottle of water had been left by my side, and magically my seat appeared to work in both directions, more by luck than crew intervention. I decided to take a stroll to the back of the plane, it quickly becomes apparent how much space you do have in First. By the time I reached World Traveller it reminded me of an RSPCA video, so I quickly headed back to the safety of First and all its trappings. I wonder How many WT seats fit into a NF cabin area?

The rest of the flight was uneventful. On departing the aircraft business passengers were held back to allow the First passengers off. We thanked the crew and quickly cleared an empty immigration and collected the bags a few minutes later. All in all a very pleasant flight, but not one I'm likely to see again too soon

A few observations - Unlike Emirates economy, we had no hot towels and a far poorer in flight selection on the AVOD.
No small PJ's either way.
On the return flight another family hadn't ordered kids meals so their youngsters were offered the adult meal!
On the return flight my daughters bedside lamp would not dim so she had to sleep with a light on full, until they managed to reset the system (45 mins).
With row 5, the seats are in a better line for communication and sight for four travelling together than row 4 which is slightly offset.
It's easy to get p***ed with so much free drink!
The JFK Concorde lounge staff were superb.
If you head for JFK on a Friday evening leave lots of time, at one stage I feared we were going to miss our flight having allowed 3 hours. The traffic made London look like a quiet village.
JFK TIP: If the fast track security queue is busy, which it was when we were there, you can use the Continental fast track just around the corner which was empty when we used it.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I'm curious. You mention "no help with bags" - what do you mean by that?

As for knowing whether it's NF or old F, most staff (including myself if I'm honest) wouldn't know. Only if you're an avid aircraft enthusiast, or FT'er(!), would you know. Even though the registrations are here somewhere I couldn't tell you without looking what they are. It's a minority of staff who have an interest in FT, Airliners.net or similar sites. BA don't insist that we monitor such sites in our private time.
At check-in our primary concern is to get everybody checked in for a flight, with their baggage sent, etc, etc.

As for "getting p....d" because there's too much drink. You can always say no! @:-)
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I meant that I would have expected one of the free first staff in the area to assist a family with bags getting them checked in. Rather than watch them do it themselves. Surely that the difference between luxury and standard?

As for knowing whether it's NF or old F, most staff (including myself if I'm honest) wouldn't know.

Surely the First check in agents are aware of the new product that BA are actively promoting? Or is that like expecting a waiter to know what's on the menu?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
If staff doesn't know, then the staff members who answered him should have simply said "I don't know!"
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Beergander

I meant that I would have expected one of the free first staff in the area to assist a family with bags getting them checked in. Rather than watch them do it themselves. Surely that the difference between luxury and standard?
It's not part of the BA F service I'm afraid and is one area which could be improved upon especially for us old folks......my back isn't as supple as it used to be.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I meant that I would have expected one of the free first staff in the area to assist a family with bags getting them checked in.
BA company policy that BA staff do not touch customer bags or staff could sue the airline for subsequent back problems from handling too many heavy loan. There is no telling where a checked bag is heavy or light until it is lift by which time it is too late (for the back that is)

Likewise, cabin crew will not lift bags into the overhead lockers for pax.

Appreciate there is a hassle for parents with children but safety first. BA do not pay for baggage handlers in the check-in area. The only exception to this was/is for the LCY-JFK flight at LCY where they have a hotel trolley in use.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Staff are not allowed to lift bags for reasons of insurance. However, we will help the elderly or those less able bodied if we can even though our Managers constantly remind us we're not to lift bags. This applies to all check in, no matter the cabin.

Surely the First check in agents are aware of the new product that BA are actively promoting? Or is that like expecting a waiter to know what's on the menu?
All agents check in on all desks, there are no special agents for just F or CW check in.

Of course, we're all aware that BA have a new First class cabin. But we don't actively check when aircraft have gone in to be converted, etc. One (to my knowledge) there is no way of us doing this at work and, two we honestly don't have time to do things like this when we're so busy.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Staff are not allowed to lift bags for reasons of insurance. .
Quite right too.

BA could employ a couple of young uns to do the job of helping F passengers lift their luggage on to the scales.
LH and others do it. It does add a touch of class to the F experience.

Last edited by HIDDY; Aug 3, 2011 at 9:51 am Reason: Grammar again.....
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Staff are not allowed to lift bags for reasons of insurance. However, we will help the elderly or those less able bodied if we can even though our Managers constantly remind us we're not to lift bags. This applies to all check in, no matter the cabin.
you learn something new every day. i am surprised at the limit for weight for carry on. 23kgs...yikes, and if a person has loaded it up, that could be really heavy.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the TR Beergander. ^

I wonder How many WT seats fit into a NF cabin area?
F seat pitch is 78", WT pitch is 31". So 2 rows of F occupies the same space as 5 rows of WT (more or less).

F is 4 abreast and WT is 9 abreast on the 777.

So 8 F seats in theory occupy the same space as 45 WT seats.

Or 1 F seat is equivalent to 5.6 WT seats.

Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I relate to the lifting-bags issue, as I have a back problem. Getting a 23kg bag onto the check-in belt requires careful manoeuvring if I'm not going to be screaming with pain.

I understand completely the general issue of employees having HSW factors to consider. However, there's a guy on the BA desk at IAD who seems to have no problem picking up a 23kg bag and hurling it onto the conveyor belt. I shall speak to him next time!

So, I agree with HIDDY ... a bit of passenger assistance would be nice, and that F should have that facility.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
So, I agree with HIDDY ... a bit of passenger assistance would be nice, and that F should have that facility.
I have to agree with both the gentlemen. Some form of assistance would be nice for everyone and F / CW should have the facility.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:30 pm

we had no hot towels
I got one hot towel on a recent First trip. I quite like them and wish they gave more. I read a LX F trip report where they handed out five throughout the flight.

On the return flight another family hadn't ordered kids meals so their youngsters were offered the adult meal!
Is this abnormal or am I missing something?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Smile

By the time I reached World Traveller it reminded me of an RSPCA video

Most hillarious thing I have ever read on this board. Had me chuckling for hours.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KenJohn
BA company policy that BA staff do not touch customer bags or staff could sue the airline for subsequent back problems from handling too many heavy loan. There is no telling where a checked bag is heavy or light until it is lift by which time it is too late (for the back that is)
So why do the staff pick up dropped rabbits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.